Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
juiceless
Enthusiast
juiceless began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by somecanuck View Post
Of course it is, but still, give them a break. It's a great product. I've been following the forums and figured out the font scaling issue and I don't even own one, my brother does. I read ebooks on my Motorola Milestone (854x480 res is plenty).
I'm not down on them - I love my Kobo. It'll be even better when they work out the (very minor) kinks. I don't think soft launching in Canada is a bad thing - just means I got to get mine early, right?
juiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
srid
srid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecanuck View Post
My main feature would be to fix the hanging that tends to occur as the Kobo proceses new files. If it hangs, your file will not show up in your list. You'll need to connect to it via USB and modify the file (rename it or whatever) so it is processed again.
Hear Hear. It especially happens when copying ePubs with sophisticated illustrations .. like those OReilly ebooks. I resolved to copying them one at a a time.
srid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #18
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
2) The desktop software is not very user-friendly.

3) The ability to delete books on the fly (i.e. you should not have to hook back up to a computer to delete a book you've just finished reading)

4) Support for either Word documents or some sort of plain text format.

5) And an auto-shutoff would help too. Every other device has one and I know I was quite alarmed the first time I left it on overnight and saw the next morning that it was still on the page I left it at and had not gone to sleep mode.
Love these. +1

The desktop software, and the instructions to get up and running, have gaps. A little more hand-holding would be helpful. Putting the user guide on the device is ok, but that doesn't step you through what you need to do since it disappears the moment you connect the device to a computer.

Managing your library needs to be improved. There is no need for 1000s of titles on the device. It should be easy to delete stuff directly from the reader fully confident it can be dropped back on later.

I'm not so fussed about supporting user generated content -- even simple stuff like .txt and .doc. The Kobo is an entry level device for reading with an entry level price. If you need bells and whistles, there are other choices better suited ... with a corresponding price increase. The Kobo really shines as a "it's just for reading!!!" device.

Auto-shutoff may be irrelevant in terms of battery life, but it's comfy for the end-user. It should be invoked. That's one of the coolest things of the Kindle. And it means "instant on" is always lurking.

6) Please give us a way to manage the original 100 books installed. Let them show up in ADE so we can remove the ones we'll never read but keep just in case. After all, we paid for the Communist Manifesto, even if we'll never read it or want it cluttering up the "Unread" section of the device.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #19
Martimus
Martimus began at the beginning.

Hi everyone,

Got my kobo reader yesterday, and like a lot about it. With simplicity in mind I would love to see these features/fixes in order of priority.

a) Fix font scaling issue.
b) Quick way to jump to page number. (hard to go to page 334)
c) General speed optimizations.
d) Text/Html (at least basic formatting)
d) Bookmarks.
e) Sync for Iphone/Android.
Martimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:01 AM   #20
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceless View Post
Don't you think that's a little harsh?
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I'm not sure it's occurred to us to put it this way: Canada is the beta test
Hmmm, I thought about that too. Paying customers as guinea-pigs. I keep trying to thing which parts of the Application Testing Procedures were missed and surprised there was a Systems Acceptance Certificate issued.

On the other hand many keep saying this is something that's been around a while so, why the problems?

Does anyone know if a pre-ordered unit can be returned to Chapters?
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 06:07 AM   #21
rioch
rioch began at the beginning.

Device: kobo (prospective)
duplicate removal

Last edited by rioch; 05-03-2010 at 06:15 AM. Reason: duplicate post
rioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:14 AM   #22
rioch
rioch began at the beginning.

Device: kobo (prospective)
My Kobo Wishlist

1. European release date. It's so frustrating that I can't buy it yet.

2. Unicode support. I'm not sure what is or is not supported, but I need at least support for English, Dutch, and Spanish, but expect that some things I read will contain other character sets (even if I don't understand them).

3. Searching
I often read technical books. I often search through them for information. I don't mind if this is just a case of selecting letters on and on-screen keyboard using the big blue button (say that fast 10 times).

4. Collections
Again, I'm not sure what it does and doesn't do, but I'd like to organise my books into categories (e.g. fiction, non-fiction, user manuals, etc).

5. Plain text support
Plain text files are easy to create. I can do a lot with these (code samples, etc).

EDIT #1:
6. Jump to page
I'm surprised this one is missing. Imagine the scenario: "friend: 'the info is on page 77' me: page 1, click, page 2, click, page 3 click.....5 minutes later....page 76 click page 77....finally!

EDIT #2:
7. Bookmarks
It would be very nice to be able to bookmark pages which you can refer to later. This is especially useful for technical documents, but probably also for novels.

It would also be nice to know what kobo have planned. I read somewhere that they already have a wish-list of sorts. I'd love to see it.

Last edited by rioch; 05-03-2010 at 07:00 AM. Reason: added another feature request
rioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:27 AM   #23
mfpreach
Enthusiast
mfpreach began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
As another user said, the desktop software is horrible, need to fix that.

It absolutely needs bookmark support also.
EDIT: Forgot to add REQUIRES jump to page number. I can't believe it doesn't do that.

Last edited by mfpreach; 05-03-2010 at 06:42 AM.
mfpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #24
juiceless
Enthusiast
juiceless began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSullivan View Post
Nope
Alright, well, good of you to answer the clarifying questions I had about your problem that would have potentially allowed me to help you. I guess I won't be bothered to try and lend you a hand again.
juiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #25
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceless View Post
Alright, well, good of you to answer the clarifying questions I had about your problem that would have potentially allowed me to help you. I guess I won't be bothered to try and lend you a hand again.
I was of course just referring to whether I was being too harsh on 'em. Misunderstanding, sorry buddy.

As for other people's requests for easier navigation:

Documents starting with X - I have to press the "joystick" 24 times.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #26
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Documents starting with X - I have to press the "joystick" 24 times.
No you don't. Just move with the arrows up to the display of letters and choose 'X'
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #27
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
No you don't. Just move with the arrows up to the display of letters and choose 'X'
In order for me to get to X I need to click 24 times non! I can do it backwards and only move once or twice. But if the letter was M, still a lot of clicks.

Last edited by JCSullivan; 05-03-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #28
somecanuck
Enthusiast
somecanuck is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Some way to go to a specific page # would be nice. Like, select "Go to Page", and it populates a droplist with the available page #'s, with an option to flip 10, 25, or 50 at a time.
somecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #29
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
In order for me to get to X I need to click 24 times non! I can do it backwards and only move once or twice. But if the letter was M, still a lot of clicks.
without a touch screen or a keyboard, not sure how you get around this issue. How do other ereaders handle navigating your library?

I agree it could get quite cumbersome to find a specific book if you have a large library.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #30
garthoid
Enthusiast
garthoid is on a distinguished road

Device: axim, bebook, BPDN
I like the device - for the time I tried it in the store. But for me the major issue is (drum roll).....

1. PDF Reflow.
garthoid is offline   Reply With Quote