Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2017, 04:14 AM   #76
armkbdotcom
armkbdotcom will become famous soon enougharmkbdotcom will become famous soon enougharmkbdotcom will become famous soon enougharmkbdotcom will become famous soon enougharmkbdotcom will become famous soon enougharmkbdotcom will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis
I have G000 P812 7452...
5.9.2(325069044)
Tried to jailbreak, uploaded update_KOA_5.7.4_initial.bin in order to downgrade, but upgrade button is not active. I guess the version I have is not downgradable.
armkbdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #77
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by armkbdotcom View Post
I have G000 P812 7452...
5.9.2(325069044)
Tried to jailbreak, uploaded update_KOA_5.7.4_initial.bin in order to downgrade, but upgrade button is not active. I guess the version I have is not downgradable.
Fortunately for you.
For nearly 200 years, various people have been proclaiming that: "A special providence protects fools, children and ..."

If you where to check that model number in the identification table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
You would find that you have a model: KOA2

If you where to read the file name of the image file you tried to install, you would see that it was for a model: KOA
See highlighted sub-string above.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #78
armkbdotcom
armkbdotcom will become famous soon enougharmkbdotcom will become famous soon enougharmkbdotcom will become famous soon enougharmkbdotcom will become famous soon enougharmkbdotcom will become famous soon enougharmkbdotcom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Fortunately for you.
I nearly missed disaster... my second try, I am following this wiki. But it clearly says Customer firmware 5.9.2 can not (yet) be jail broken. So does it mean:

a. I can't jailbreak with 5.9.2 onboard and need to downgrade to factory version first, then after jailbreak I can upgrade again to 5.9.2
b. I can't jailbreak at all with 5.9.2 onboard

Last edited by armkbdotcom; 12-06-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:19 AM   #79
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It means what it says.
Regardless of the devious path you might wish you could follow to get around the statement's meaning, it still means what I wrote it to mean.
The various devious paths are blocked from use by 5.9.2
You can not jail break 5.9.2
You can not downgrade 5.9.2 to something you could jail break.
You can not even jail break the device if you stand on your left foot and hop around while chanting a magic invocation.

Short Answer: No, give up.

Last edited by knc1; 12-06-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:22 AM   #80
armkbdotcom

Great, then I forbit OTA and wait. Thanks!
Advert
Old 12-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #81
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Great, then I forbit OTA and wait. Thanks!
I do have a question for you:
Did the device have 5.9.2 installed when you purchased it?
If so, where did you purchase it? (Amazon, non-amazon store, etc).

It could be important for us to know if the device is now shipping with 5.9.2 installed (and from where).
Old 12-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #82
armkbdotcom

Quote:
I do have a question for you:
Did the device have 5.9.2 installed when you purchased it?
If so, where did you purchase it? (Amazon, non-amazon store, etc).

It could be important for us to know if the device is now shipping with 5.9.2 installed (and from where).
Amazon(.de Germany) sent me as birthday gift end of Nov. I didn't initially check the version, but I remember I went through update once I turned it on and started to play with options. At that time I didn't even know that jailbreak is possible. So 5.9.2 was not initially installed on it.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #83
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Amazon(.de Germany) sent me as birthday gift end of Nov. I didn't initially check the version, but I remember I went through update once I turned it on and started to play with options. At that time I didn't even know that jailbreak is possible. So 5.9.2 was not initially installed on it.
Thanks.
That just means it was shipped with some earlier version and it updated itself.

coplate had his jail broken the day after release.

The new hardware/firmware combination has perhaps the greatest number of changes at any one time.
And it hits us when we are at an all time low of available developers. *

It isn't the jail break that we do not have, we have that.
There just isn't anything that runs the way it is really supposed too ready for it.

= = = =

(*) We are getting pretty short handed here when I write something more that just answers to questions.
I retired from writing computer code decades ago.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #84
armkbdotcom

Quote:
And it hits us when we are at an all time low of available developers. *
I am also coder and if there is something particular has to be done and it's within technologies that I know, I would be happy to volunteer.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:46 AM   #85
Mercutio111
Mercutio111 will become famous soon enoughMercutio111 will become famous soon enoughMercutio111 will become famous soon enoughMercutio111 will become famous soon enoughMercutio111 will become famous soon enoughMercutio111 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
That's this most important thing if you want to even think about a jailbreak right now.

There are some good indications about the KOA and KT#, that devices with bluetooth have a certain entry point, but we don't know about the new one yet.

If you want a jailbreak at all, please do not update the software.

Also, for record keeping purposes, reply to this with your device configuration ( GB, 3g, etc ), and the first 6 digits of your serial.

And then go to settings, and choose device info, and report your kindle version fresh from amazon. mine is "5.9.0.6 ( 3234010012 )"

Instructions on how to block updates, but still connect to WIFI.
See also: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=219986

Plug your kindle into usb before connectiong to wifi
Create a FOLDER at the root of your USB drive named "update.bin.tmp.partial"
That is it.

This has worked in the past, all the way up to the most recent update before 5.9.2, though there is no guarantee it will keep working.

Instructions on how to skip wifi setup
When you get to the wifi setup screen that lists all the wifi names, hit the [x] in the top corner to close it.
Then there will be a "continue setup later" link in the bottom corner.
Cleick that to get to the kindle's home screen before connecting to wifi.
Hi coplate,

I would like to participate. I own a new Kindle Oasis 2.

Kindle Oasis 7"
8GB, WiFi
G000 P8

I will follow the instructions published on gitHub but therefore I need the PW.

I created a folder at the root of the USB drive named "update.bin.tmp.partial" - and until now it works :-)

Could you please send me the PW?

Thank you very much for your (hopefully successful) work!
Mercutio111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #86
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I am also coder and if there is something particular has to be done and it's within technologies that I know, I would be happy to volunteer.
Thanks for the offer.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #87
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio111 View Post
Hi coplate,

I would like to participate. I own a new Kindle Oasis 2.

Kindle Oasis 7"
8GB, WiFi
G000 P8

I will follow the instructions published on gitHub but therefore I need the PW.

I created a folder at the root of the USB drive named "update.bin.tmp.partial" - and until now it works :-)

Could you please send me the PW?

Thank you very much for your (hopefully successful) work!
Sorry, but I am running herd on that, not coplate.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #88
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I just received my Oasis.

Model: 32GB, wifi only
Firmware: 5.9.0.6 (3234010012)
First 6 of SN: G000 SA

I would like to be part of the beta for the jailbreak and I'm willing to test out anything you might need. Thanks in advance for the PW.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:16 AM   #89
Colin5678
Colin5678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasia 2
Serial number: G000 P8
Version: 8GB Wifi only
Firmware Version: 5.9.0.5.1 (3233590008)
Colin5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #90
Turtlelover73
Turtlelover73 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 9th Generation
So I got my KOA2 today, and unfortunately I hooked it up to wifi because I didn't read enough to know how to skip wifi setup. It updated and couldn't be jailbroken.

I'm returning it for a replacement in two days, but can anyone point me to the newest guide on how to jailbreak the KOA2 before then? Because I'm having a hard time working out if the KOA things will work, or where the info actually is.

Thanks!
Turtlelover73 is offline   Reply With Quote