Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Jedi
Enthusiast
Jedi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Libra 2
Had a Kobo Glo HD, looking something similar.

Hello, I used to have a Glo HD reader till I gave it to my sister and now I'm looking for something new ( I don't care if it will be kobo or amazon or something else). I really fell in love quickly with the glo hd. The size and weight are great for 1-hand reading. The only thing I would like is to have some game applications like chess checkers e.t.c ( although I installed a third party application for that but I really prefer to buy something with everything in it ).

I am looking something similar to glo hd, 6" screen with minimal plastic around the screen and prefer no buttons like next page, previous page just touch screen.

I'm thinking about Kobo Aura 2nd Edition but as I saw the resolution is less than the glo hd and I'm afraid I won't like it?.. don't know.

The glo hd was my first ereader I don't know much things about ereaders. Here in Greece the 15% only use ereaders and we have 2-3 models in stock kobo kindle pocketbook so I guess I will order from the EU if will find another model. The only thing I know is that I want something similar to glo hd and/or with better specs.

Thanks a lot.
Kostas.

Last edited by Jedi; 05-19-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
Jedi
Enthusiast

Anyone please ?
Advert
Old 05-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Anyone please ?
You might want to check the Kobo Aura H2O 2nd edition.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
You shouldn't have given away your Kobo Glo HD!

There isn't much feedback on the Kobo Aura Edition 2 because its slightly inferior to the Glo HD, so who wants to buy it?

Kindle Paperwhite is probably the most similar to the Glo HD, but that might not be ideal if you have already invested in an .epub library having previously owned a Kobo (plus no games whereas the Kobo has chess & sudoku).

The Aura H2O is a good option if you'd consider the slightly bigger 6.8" screen.

Other 6" models you could consider are Tolino vision 4 HD or PocketBook Touch HD.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:30 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would go for the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2. It's an even better Reader than the Glo HD (the size makes the difference).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
Jedi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You might want to check the Kobo Aura H2O 2nd edition.
I already did but I think the 6.8" size of the screen won't fit me, I love the 6" one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
You shouldn't have given away your Kobo Glo HD!

There isn't much feedback on the Kobo Aura Edition 2 because its slightly inferior to the Glo HD, so who wants to buy it?

Kindle Paperwhite is probably the most similar to the Glo HD, but that might not be ideal if you have already invested in an .epub library having previously owned a Kobo (plus no games whereas the Kobo has chess & sudoku).

The Aura H2O is a good option if you'd consider the slightly bigger 6.8" screen.

Other 6" models you could consider are Tolino vision 4 HD or PocketBook Touch HD.
Yes I agree but she is my little sister . I loved the glo hd the size and screen is perfect and the material behind is great for grip. I like that it is minimal in plastic with no buttons and not too much plastic around the screen.

The aura h2o is good but I really want a 6" screen ebook, don't want bigger.

The aura edition 2 is like glo hd but the resolution is of aura is much lower than the glo and don't know how will be my reaction to that.

Also the think I didn't liked at glo hd (and after searching the internet ofcourse) was the front, it is a bluelight and it is not too much comfortable for the eyes. This is the only thing I didn't liked at glo hd.

What about tolino vision? Does someone has it or used it? Is it comparable to kobo glo? Is the menu comfortable ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would go for the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2. It's an even better Reader than the Glo HD (the size makes the difference).
Agree but it is bigger and I really need a smaller

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I've found is after using the 6.8" H2O, I now find 6" screens to be small.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
What about tolino vision? Does someone has it or used it? Is it comparable to kobo glo? Is the menu comfortable ?
Have a look at the More E-Book Readers forum, there are two threads that might be useful related to the Tolino Vision:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=216
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Another option is to look on eBay for a Glo HD or maybe your sister would like the H2O and you can get the Glo HD back.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-21-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
What I've found is after using the 6.8" H2O, I now find 6" screens to be small.
And what I found was that the Aura H2O was a little too bulky but the Glo HD is just right.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And what I found was that the Aura H2O was a little too bulky but the Glo HD is just right.
Do you think you'd find the H2O2 to be a little too bulky?
Old 05-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Do you think you'd find the H2O2 to be a little too bulky?
I suspect so. It is slightly shorter and thinner, but, I don't think that will be enough. At this point, I'd probably go to the Aura ONE rather than either of the Aura H2Os. I think it's extra screen size might make up for the extra size of the device. But, I'm not sure I would like it during my commute.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:39 AM   #13
Jedi
Enthusiast

Thank you all, I think I'll choose the kobo aura 2 edition. The display and dpi is lower than the glo hd but I think I will get used to it. I would bought the h2o but I don't like the size screen it's big for me I used to 6" screens and want to stay that way. And the aura is affordable too. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2017, 11:50 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Thank you all, I think I'll choose the kobo aura 2 edition. The display and dpi is lower than the glo hd but I think I will get used to it.
I have an Aura (original) and I've compared it to a Kindle Voyage (which has a high res screen like the Glo HD). And while the Voyage screen was nicer, to me it wasn't a huge difference. In the end it's a black and white screen mostly displaying text. I think screen resolution is less noticeable than on a tablet. I admit I could just be less sensitive than some to the differences.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #15
Jedi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have an Aura (original) and I've compared it to a Kindle Voyage (which has a high res screen like the Glo HD). And while the Voyage screen was nicer, to me it wasn't a huge difference. In the end it's a black and white screen mostly displaying text. I think screen resolution is less noticeable than on a tablet. I admit I could just be less sensitive than some to the differences.
Thanks for letting know but after searching the net, I am interesting of onyx boox. There are plenty onyx models with 6" screens and great specs too, like the onyx Boox Darmin 4, very beautiful, same specs with glo hd with some added features and comes with a very beautiful case. The only thing that I am not 100% sure is that it's Android.

Are Ebooks ok with android platforms? Is there something that I should know before making the move to purchase one ?