Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 04-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
KU/Audible Whispersync titles

Is there a way to search for Kindle Unlimited titles that have free Audible narration? I've been buying companion audiobooks for some KU books during my free trial, and was surprised today to see that a couple of them were already automatically in my Audible library because I'd borrowed the Kindle title.

Is there a way to limit the KU "ebooks with Audible narration" search filter to only books with free Audible narration?

P.S. Never mind. I found what I wanted here.

Last edited by Catlady; 04-13-2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: P.S.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Following up a bit: I'm kind of annoyed to see that several books I borrowed through Prime Reading required me to buy the Audible narration (which I did, usually for $1.99), but if I had borrowed them through KU, the Audible narration would have been free.

I also noticed that some books I bought at Amazon (e.g., through Kindle First) have free narration if borrowed through KU. And they can be borrowed even if owned.

Of course, the free Audible narration is a loan, not a purchase, but for me that's just fine; they're not books I need to keep forever and revisit.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I just book marked the Kindle Store : Whispersync for Voice : Kindle Unlimited Eligible : eBooks with Audible Narration titles the other day. Link

I'm finding discrepancies between Amazon and Audible titles, for instance, if I look at a book called "The Ill-Made Mute" on Amazon it shows the audio book as $10.95, and if I look on Audible, it's the full price. (16.79). I have found this with other books, also. (Lucky for me, that audio book is on Scribd full access).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some titles in my Audible wish list, which were 1.99, possibly up to 3.49, jumped up to 7.49! I hope this is not a trend. Also I looked at some books that I already own, and I know I only paid 1.99, and they are showing the WSV price as 7.49. I find this extremely troubling.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:21 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Some titles in my Audible wish list, which were 1.99, possibly up to 3.49, jumped up to 7.49! I hope this is not a trend. Also I looked at some books that I already own, and I know I only paid 1.99, and they are showing the WSV price as 7.49. I find this extremely troubling.
Ouch. I checked my list and only one of them jumped in price--West Side Story, which I planned to get through KU and then buy at Audible for $1.99; now it's $7.49. I think I'm going to grab all the ones that are still $1.99 right away, in case they're about to go up.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:52 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Now Amazon has altered the sort wishlist and page format on the amazon.com site! There is no "sort by price drop" and no "sort low to high" and everything is on one page, which makes loading slow (before I had 7 pages, for example). I check my wishlists every day to see if something got marked to 0, so I could get the book now, and get the audio book when I am ready. This is extremely disappointing!
Old 05-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Now Amazon has altered the sort wishlist and page format on the amazon.com site! There is no "sort by price drop" and no "sort low to high" and everything is on one page, which makes loading slow (before I had 7 pages, for example). I check my wishlists every day to see if something got marked to 0, so I could get the book now, and get the audio book when I am ready. This is extremely disappointing!
My wishlist and sort options are the same as ever. Maybe it's a temporary hiccup?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My wishlist and sort options are the same as ever. Maybe it's a temporary hiccup?
I hope it's temporary. I tried it on 2 browsers, no joy. I'll have to see if my Chromebook is doing it, too.

No luck. Tried 3 browsers, 2 computers, 2 accounts. They all have a reduced sort options list.

And three more titles in my Audible WL just went up to $7.49!!! WTH!!!!

If they keep this up, I'll be adhering strictly to library loans.

Last edited by booklover6; 05-25-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

And three more titles in my Audible WL just went up to $7.49!!! WTH!!!!
I appreciate the heads up on this. So far only one of my wishlist titles has gone up, but the writing seems to be on the wall. I just have to find the time to sit down with my ample wishlist and see which are available elsewhere (OD, Hoopla) and which Whispersync priced books I need to grab now. Reminds me of how I was caught short when the OD wrinkle ended; there had been many books where I planned to borrow the Kindle book to get the Whispersync price on the audio. Had I but known, I would have bought a ton of books while I could.

For a few bucks, I'd frequently prefer to buy an audiobook rather than borrow it, since it meant I could listen on demand and at my own speed. But credits are far too dear to be wasted on books I can get elsewhere or on anything but high-priority books. I understand why Amazon is cracking down on the deals, but I do wonder about price elasticity. A lot of us are buying fewer, if pricier, books.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #10
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
So some of the prices being discussed are the regular Audible price and not the ebook/audiobook combo deals (which I have yet to use and don't ever check the price of)? If so, I just wish I had some of those under-$5 audiobooks on my wishlist to begin with. By chance it seems, everything on my wishlist has always been $8 or more.

I normally don't keep track of their specific prices on a regular basis since I usually use credits, but just perusing my list now, the cheapest is $18.41, and that's with the member discount! That seems abnormally high for the cheapest. It seems like at least some of the books on my list used to be cheaper than that; unless I already bought the cheaper ones with credits I thought some were in the $10-$15 range. So I wonder if Audible prices are sneaking up on all kinds of titles?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

No, we're talking only about Whispersync prices for audiobooks where we already have the Kindle book or where we planned to get the combo in order to get the Whispersync price. Especially if the Kindle book goes on sale, getting both can be cheaper than getting just the audiobook.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #12
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Thanks; I knew the thread had started as that but some of the posts were vague and sounded more like transitioning into discussing regular Audible prices. I thought I'd chance posting about the regular prices since my regular Audible WL seems to also have more expensive prices than before.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
So some of the prices being discussed are the regular Audible price and not the ebook/audiobook combo deals
No, that is precisely what we are discussing. I typically pay 1.99 (sometimes 3.49) for an Audible book, because I own the ebook, or check out the ebook via Kindle Unlimited. My Audible wish list contains items that I own the ebooks, which show the discounted audiobook price in red. That is what is going up. My Amazon WLs are divided, I have one solely devoted to KU books with whispersync companion audiobooks that can be purchased at discounted prices. Yesterday and today, I've had to move a LOT of titles out of that list, because the WSV price went up to 7.49.

I had a couple of series by Jeremy Robinson on that list, most of his titles went up. I went ahead and completed my collection of "Purge of Babylon" by Sam Sisavath.

I bought 27 titles this month, for about $66. With the increases that seem to be a trend, I am done. (I wouldn't have spent that much, but the last two days, I've been buying, to get them while I can!)
Old 05-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I thought I'd chance posting about the regular prices since my regular Audible WL seems to also have more expensive prices than before.
That is good to know, and does add to the discussion!

Are they trying to drive away customers??
Old 05-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Another change I've noticed is that now I cannot borrow a KU book that I had previously purchased. Why would I want to do that, you ask. Because the KU book includes borrowing privileges for the Audible narration. A few weeks ago I used KU to borrow some public domain books I had previously purchased and that gave me access to the Audible versions; the other day I saw that I can't do it anymore; I only have the option to buy the Audible version, not to borrow it.

An unintended consequence for Amazon is that this, along with the higher WSV pricing, makes the likelihood of my staying with KU plummet.