Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2021, 02:05 AM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
I think we are talking past each other. If a user is explicitly changing justification settings, the rendering goes wrong. Obviously if they don't the settings are respected. What can one do preventing the timestamp to be overriden?
But, if the user explicitly changes the justification settings and the book does not obey them, isn't that wrong?

The answer is you cannot do what you want with the kepub renderer. There is no way to differentiate between justification that can be overriden and justification that cannot. For certain tags, the kepub renderer overrides this not matter what. The rules the RMSDK follows are different. Which is more correct will depend on your viewpoint. And based on my experience here, people will vigorously support both ways of doing it.

You might be able to fake it somehow with margins or padding or something. But, I suspect you will not be able to get it working the same on all ereaders or apps. Or font sizes. It is similar to the issues with drop-caps. You can fiddle and get it working perfectly, but, change the font size or font, and it falls apart.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:19 AM   #32
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
@davidfor

I wondering why Nook works great with border-radius. It seems that Adobe RMSDK is also used there (not the latest version). And nevertheless, it displays everything perfectly ... It turns out that they fixed it in Nook, but in Kobo they did not do it ...
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2021, 07:04 AM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Mmm, I'm not sure whether we're discussing float or border-radius, but...
Could you post that book so we can try it? My memory has it the same as @DNSB's result, but, maybe there is something different in how you are doing it.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:49 AM   #34
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Could you post that book so we can try it?
Here you go. The screenshot that I already posted did have the text-aligns in it that were ignored.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radius2.png
Views:	56
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	189168  
Attached Files
File Type: epub radius.epub (1.8 KB, 74 views)
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The boxes are centred on Calibre Viewer, otherwise same as screen shot.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2021, 11:14 AM   #36
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, apparently AdobeNativeInterface.setJustified("justify"); throws an !important in.
I got rid of that and just added body {text-align: justify} in my CSS for AdobeNativeInterface.setCustomStyleSheet
Now it still justifies books but is amenable to being overriden.
This is B&N Glow RMSDK again:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	radius3.png
Views:	61
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	189169  
Old 09-09-2021, 01:15 PM   #37
Skinkie
Skinkie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, if the user explicitly changes the justification settings and the book does not obey them, isn't that wrong?
That would totally dependent if it is a design element or a text element.

Quote:
Which is more correct will depend on your viewpoint. And based on my experience here, people will vigorously support both ways of doing it.
What do you mean with both ways of doing it? Defending? Or something else?
Skinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:23 AM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
That would totally dependent if it is a design element or a text element.
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by that. The couple of things I can think of don't make sense to me.

Quote:
What do you mean with both ways of doing it? Defending? Or something else?
As a more extreme example, there is an ereader app out there (whose name escapes me completely) that basically ignores the styles and lets the user set them. Some people think this is the best app out there for this reason. Some people think this is the worst app for exactly the same reason.

From the point of view of what the two renderers do on the Kobo, different people think more or less should be overridden. Should it just set justify at the body level and let all the tags within decide? Or should it override it at every level? I've seen arguments for both. And people choosing either epubs or kepubs because of it.

I have no idea what the correct answer is, unless all of them are as it is a personal opinion. But, I also don't really care. I'm not a fan of how the justification works, so I don't use it. And if edit the book for any reason, I will remove the justification, fonts (if I don't like them), any forced hyphenation and some margin settings from the body text classes. I try not to mess with things were I think this styling is important. If the book has a clear overall style, I try to maintain that. With the above exceptions.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:59 AM   #39
Renate
Wizard

If a book annoys you with egregious styling you can always just unzip it, delete all the .css files and zip it again.
This applies to Adobe DRMed books too, without decrypting anything.
I don't know Kindle, does this work too?
Old 09-10-2021, 11:21 AM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
If a book annoys you with egregious styling you can always just unzip it, delete all the .css files and zip it again.
Better to edit. Simply deleting could create a mess.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:11 PM   #41
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Better to edit.
True, but if the file is DRMed and you don't want to lose your good behavior medal for decrypting it...
Old 09-10-2021, 03:23 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Better to edit. Simply deleting could create a mess.
Not could. It will create a mess. I agree it's better to edit the eBook. Plus, you do learn more about the code. I've learned a lot by editing eBooks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:24 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
True, but if the file is DRMed and you don't want to lose your good behavior medal for decrypting it...
I see no problem removing the DRM. And it really is bad behavior to leave the DRM in place in eBooks you've purchased.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:51 PM   #44
Renate
Wizard

I play it fairly straight with library books, I don't decrypt them.
That's just my quirk.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:44 AM   #45
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Here you go. The screenshot that I already posted did have the text-aligns in it that were ignored.
Attached are screenshots from my Kobo Glo with firmware version 4.28.18220. The kepub renderer shows the border-radius and the epub/RMSDK renderer does not. Which is what I expected and matches @DNSB's screenshots. Now I am curious as to why the B&N Glow, with an older version of the RMSDK, supports it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	border-radius - epub2-4.28.png
Views:	68
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	189194   Click image for larger version

Name:	border-radius - kepub-4.28.png
Views:	66
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	189195