Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2021, 01:28 AM   #1
Psagunto
Psagunto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One and Kobo Libra H2O
Kobo Aura One recover partition

I my Kobo Aura One partition that shows up when i connect to windows 10 was formatted by mistake and everything was wiped out.

I had installed there Kobo Start Menu, the Koreade, and some books but now is empty.

Please help me to reinstall the KSM along with Koreader app.

The other question is what type of filesystem should I use (NTFS, Fat32, or exFat) for that drive ?

I thank you in advance for the answers...

Best regards.
Psagunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:00 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The books partition should be formatted as FAT32. After that, when you disconnect the device from the PC it should go through the setup process. You will then need to do the KSM and KOReader setup from scratch. I recommend asking in the threads for them how to do it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:07 PM   #3
Psagunto

Thank you very much for your help.

I've got a couple more issues:

- Should the ebooks partition be formatted as primary or secondary, and can i use GPT instead of MBR. (I´m currently using Windows 10)

- The Kobo Aura One is using firmware update version 4.28.18220. Is there any known issue regarding Windows 10 ?

- Is it possible to access the inner drive where the OS is installed ?

Once again, i thank you to all for your help.

Best regards
Old 08-25-2021, 08:15 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psagunto View Post
Thank you very much for your help.

I've got a couple more issues:

- Should the ebooks partition be formatted as primary or secondary, and can i use GPT instead of MBR. (I´m currently using Windows 10)
YOu are way overthinking this. Just format it as a FAT32 data partition. If you do anything fancy, it will probably break
Quote:
- The Kobo Aura One is using firmware update version 4.28.18220. Is there any known issue regarding Windows 10 ?
No.
Quote:
- Is it possible to access the inner drive where the OS is installed ?
Only by enabling telnet on the device and connecting that way.

But, in the state the device is in, you should probably do a manual factory reset. Use the last method on https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...Aura_Edition_2. That will let the device do the formatting. Though I am actually surprised the device didn't do this when you disconnected after the initial format.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:03 AM   #5
Psagunto

First of all I'd like to thank you for your kind help, I appreciate it.

I did what you recommend, that is the manual factory reset.

It all seems to work well, but then when I connect to the computer using the USB cable and disconnect, the whole process starts over again.

It boots and asks to select the language, then tries to connect via WiFi to configure and last asks to connect to the Kobo store.

Besides that, I always need to format the partition every time I connect to the computer.

What can be done to solve this?

Thank you for all the help.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:16 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
First of all I'd like to thank you for your kind help, I appreciate it.

I did what you recommend, that is the manual factory reset.

It all seems to work well, but then when I connect to the computer using the USB cable and disconnect, the whole process starts over again.

It boots and asks to select the language, then tries to connect via WiFi to configure and last asks to connect to the Kobo store.

Besides that, I always need to format the partition every time I connect to the computer.
Why do you need to format the partition when you connect to the computer? Is Windows telling you there is a problem? If so, what is it reporting?

The rest is almost definitely because of this. If you are formatting the partition each time, then you are wiping out the data the setup stores. Hence it looks like the device is new.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:46 AM   #7
Psagunto

Thank you once again for your help.

What is happening is that when I connect via USB the OS doesn't recognize the partition as formatted and the following box message pops up:

- You need to format the disk in drive N: before you can use it.

- Do you want to format it?

I guess this has nothing to do with the Kobo ereader device, it's just a problem of the Windows itself. I will try to fix it.

The books should be copied to any folder in particular on the device partition?

Once again, thank you very much for all the help.

You have been very helpful, I do appreciate.
Old 08-28-2021, 05:50 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you once again for your help.

What is happening is that when I connect via USB the OS doesn't recognize the partition as formatted and the following box message pops up:

- You need to format the disk in drive N: before you can use it.

- Do you want to format it?

I guess this has nothing to do with the Kobo ereader device, it's just a problem of the Windows itself. I will try to fix it.

The books should be copied to any folder in particular on the device partition?
Does Windows actually mount the device and let you access it? As it is prompting you to format it, I would not expect this. I would expect that you would need to sort that out before anything could be done. Do you have another PC you can connect it to?

If Windows does let you access it, then it doesn't matter much were you put the books. Older firmware would not look for books inside directories whose name starts with a dot. Newer firmware does. But, don't put them inside either of the ".kobo" or ".kobo-images" directories.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:32 PM   #9
Psagunto

The problem seems to be the one that this article addresses:

https://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-...e-recovery.htm

I was able to make an image copy of the partition contents, the folders are the following:

.adobe-digital-editions

.kobo

.kobo-images

Inside there are 31 files and 57 folders (19 MB in total)

Then i formatted the patition with FAT32 and last I unpack the image files and folders back to the partition.

When I disconnect the USB cable the kobo started the initialization process again.

Is there any files or folders missing in the image file or simply it's not possible to copy the folders just as i did ?

Maybe i should copy using other method ?