Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-09-2021, 10:04 AM   #1441
pakz
pakz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
You were correct.
After waiting a while to get unblocked, I could successfully get page counts for books when I querried one at a time.
Already taking 3 at once seems to hit the barrier. So, I'll be taking it slow. Still gonna be so much faster than doing everything manually.

Thanks so much for the quick response and your efforts in maintaining the plugin!
pakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:34 AM   #1442
sup
Connoisseur
sup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2012)
Is it ((or would it be) possible to discount sections titled "bibliography" "index", "notes" and "table of contents" (and possibly "acknowledgements")? Frequently, in non-fiction books, these can run up to half of the actual content so a book that is over 500 pages (as my Kindle counts) ends up being around 300 pages of actual content that I would read.
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:47 AM   #1443
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sup View Post
Is it ((or would it be) possible to discount sections titled "bibliography" "index", "notes" and "table of contents" (and possibly "acknowledgements")? Frequently, in non-fiction books, these can run up to half of the actual content so a book that is over 500 pages (as my Kindle counts) ends up being around 300 pages of actual content that I would read.
No. And I'm not very interested in adding the function.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #1444
sup
Connoisseur
sup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2012)
Ok, thanks for the fast reply. I looked into the code and decided I can live without it for the time being:-).

I noticed that when I click the plugin button with no value in my custom column, it calculates the page count using any of the available algorithms. When I click the button again, it recalculates a thta seems to be a word count (102 337). Is that intentional? To me it seems like a bug.

When I use "e-book viewer (Calibre)" algorithm, it reports 645 as opposed to 538 reported by the actual viewer. Should these not be the same?

When I use the "Paragraphs (APNX accurate)", it reports 381. My Kindle actually reports 457 pages. Is there a way to match these two? All my books on my Kindle are actually generated in Calibre so they have a Calibre-generated APNX file.

The books are all in azw3 format.

EDIT: as per Kindle - I see I could use the number generated by the plugin and supply that to the Kindle. But actually the page numbers on the Kindle closely correspond to actual page turns (I use small font size with little margins and it pretty much corresponds with a page count increasing almost every page turn), which is something I like. So is it possible to do it the other way around?

EDIT2: Hm, in the Kindle 2/3/4/Touch Device plugin, I have checked "Send page number informatino when sending books" and it was set to "fast" method. That should amount to 2300 characters. When I use the "custom (char per page)" algorithm in the Count Pages plugin with 2300, it gives 289 pages, which is much less. 2300/(457/289) gives 1454, but when the custom value to 1454, it gave me 448 pages. I guess the Count Pages plugin and Kindle plugin count slightly different things.

EDIT3: When I try it on another ebook, the numbers are still off, but in different ratios, so the custom algorithm does not really help me.

Last edited by sup; 05-18-2021 at 08:34 AM.
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:36 PM   #1445
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update to version 1.11.1

I have just updated the plugin to version 1.11.1 The changes in this version are:
  • Update: Changes to download page count for lubimyczytac.pl - thanks to BeckyEbook.

As usual, calibre will announce the update in the next hour or so. And if there are any problems, please report them here.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:25 PM   #1446
nqk
Evangelist
nqk doesn't litternqk doesn't litter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have just updated the plugin to version 1.11.1 The changes in this version are:
  • Update: Changes to download page count for lubimyczytac.pl - thanks to BeckyEbook.

As usual, calibre will announce the update in the next hour or so. And if there are any problems, please report them here.
Dear Davidfor,

Does it support the "calibre pages" now? I hope you would support that if you haven't already.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:40 AM   #1447
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
Does it support the "calibre pages" now? I hope you would support that if you haven't already.
No, I haven't looked at that yet. It hasn't been a priority as it isn't used by anything else.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #1448
nqk
Evangelist
nqk doesn't litternqk doesn't litter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, I haven't looked at that yet. It hasn't been a priority as it isn't used by anything else.
Ít is used by the Viewer and more importantly the Browser Viewer, which is consistent in all devices. I hope you will give ... Calibre viewers a chance.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:31 PM   #1449
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
Ít is used by the Viewer and more importantly the Browser Viewer, which is consistent in all devices. I hope you will give ... Calibre viewers a chance.
I did have a look at it over the weekend. Getting to how calibre does it is a little convoluted and I don't want to reimplement it. I'll look at it again soon, but, don't hold your breath.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:23 PM   #1450
McStubb
Enthusiast
McStubb began at the beginning.

Device: None
Any chance you can create a way to break/batch large number of word count jobs up?

Lets say I have 2,000 books. I select them all, and request word counts, Instead of having 1 job with 2000 books, I would get 20 jobs with 100 books each?

Would allow better utilization of parallel jobs, and in the event that Calibre is closed only the affected small segments fail, since you are not waiting on the full 2,000 book job to finish to record every count.
McStubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:19 PM   #1451
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura2, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
YOU can queue smaller groups without waiting for the previous to complete. eg 1-20, 21-40...
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:52 PM   #1452
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@McStubb: Sorry, that is not something I am interested in adding. It isn't hard to do manually, and honestly, there isn't a real reason not to do them all at once. I don't think I have done 2000 in a batch, but, I have done several hundred with no issues.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:49 AM   #1453
McStubb
Enthusiast
McStubb began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
YOU can queue smaller groups without waiting for the previous to complete. eg 1-20, 21-40...
I know that, and thats what I have been doing, but when you are trying to process 50,000 books, trying to cut a few corners speeds things up.

I was trying to do this in larger batches, but occasionally Calibre randomly closes, and any progress on active jobs gets lost.
McStubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #1454
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura2, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStubb View Post

I was trying to do this in larger batches, but occasionally Calibre randomly closes, and any progress on active jobs gets lost.
That might be a side effect of trying huge chunks. You run out of resources (cleanup tends to only happen at the task end).
I can't remember the last time Calibre did an ABEND and I have done 200 items tasks (mostly Modify EPUB, Quality check inspired corrections, with multiple of those queued.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count pages, page count