Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
kenm
Enthusiast
kenm doesn't litterkenm doesn't litterkenm doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, Nook Color, Acer Iconia Tab A500
Possible to Stop Sony Library from Autostarting?

In the Calibre instructions it says that it is best to close Sony library, disconnect my reader, reconnect then start Calibre. The problem I'm having is Sony library autostarts as soon as I connect my reader. I can not find anyway to stop this. Does anyone know if it is possible to stop this from happening? Am I missing something obvious in the Sony settings? Any help is greatly appreciated.
kenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
just rename the sony ebook library executable. that way only you will be able to start it
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I had this same question...and sorry, Kovid, I don't understand your answer. The sony program IS an exe file. Was this a serious answer? Or maybe I'm just not computer-savvy enough to understand what you mean.

I looked at the reader software and don't find any preferences for this.

However, Ken, I haven't had any trouble with my Calibre. I just shut down the reader software and then start up calibre.

Anyone else know how to stop the sony from autorunning this software whenever we plug in our readers?
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:28 AM   #4
kenm
Enthusiast
kenm doesn't litterkenm doesn't litterkenm doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, Nook Color, Acer Iconia Tab A500
Thanks Kovid, thats a good idea, I experimented with changing my autostart and autorun settings in the registry, and that didn't work. So with a quick rename and recreating shortcuts to Sony's library software I should be good to go. BTW Calibre is an awesome program, thanks for writing it.
kenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have not found a way to stop it on the mac. I just don't start Calibre until after I plug in the reader, wait for the Sony library to stop, and exit it.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoto View Post
I had this same question...and sorry, Kovid, I don't understand your answer. The sony program IS an exe file. Was this a serious answer? Or maybe I'm just not computer-savvy enough to understand what you mean.

I looked at the reader software and don't find any preferences for this.

However, Ken, I haven't had any trouble with my Calibre. I just shut down the reader software and then start up calibre.

Anyone else know how to stop the sony from autorunning this software whenever we plug in our readers?
He means this... (I am on a Mac so I am not sure on the file name )
say file is called reader.exe
Find the file and rename it to anything you want like... pieceofcrapprogram.exe

The next time you plug in the reader it will not find reader.exe and not start the program
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
On a PC you can do this:
Start
RUN
type "msconfig" (without the quotes)
Select the Startup Tab
Uncheck the "Ebook Library Launcher"
Click Apply > Accept then Reboot when prompted.

I am not familiar with the mac but if it has an equivalent of msconfig or starup items you could remove Ebook library launcher from that and It should stop the library from autolaunching.

Unless your talking about the executable included in the new readers so then kovid´s method should work.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Unfortunately none of this worked for me. I even uninstallen both programs, restarted the computer, and re-installed Calibre (and not the Sony software).

Calibre works but will not see my PRS-600 even though Windows 7 has no problem seeing it as a portable device and using it.

Attachment 41428

Still, it is great for converting formats

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 02-13-2010 at 10:13 AM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
jrd4849
jrd4849 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I have not found a way to stop it on the mac. I just don't start Calibre until after I plug in the reader, wait for the Sony library to stop, and exit it.
In the finder navigate to /Library/LaunchAgents and remove any com.sony.....plist(s) that you find there. Don't delete just move to another folder. If you don't find any there check ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Reboot and use activity monitor to make sure no ebook processes are running.
jrd4849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
He means this... (I am on a Mac so I am not sure on the file name )
say file is called reader.exe
Find the file and rename it to anything you want like... pieceofcrapprogram.exe
What an appropriate rename!

Perhaps we should suggest Sony change that to it's official name.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
didymus
didymus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sony Reader auto-launcher on the Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd4849 View Post
In the finder navigate to /Library/LaunchAgents and remove any com.sony.....plist(s) that you find there. Don't delete just move to another folder. If you don't find any there check ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Reboot and use activity monitor to make sure no ebook processes are running.
I've had this same problem, being a Mac user - there's no Sony Reader agent in the LaunchAgents folder, all I find are:

com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-@me.com...es.Agent.plist
com.apple.FolderActions.enabled.plist
com.apple.FolderActions.folders.plist
com.macpaw.CleanMyMac.helperTool.plist

Any idea where the auto-launcher might be lurking? I guess I could rename the .app file to something else, like, .xxx, but, if the auto-launcher functions and fails to find the .app file, presumably the system could hang or something?
didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by didymus View Post
I've had this same problem, being a Mac user - there's no Sony Reader agent in the LaunchAgents folder, all I find are:

com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-@me.com...es.Agent.plist
com.apple.FolderActions.enabled.plist
com.apple.FolderActions.folders.plist
com.macpaw.CleanMyMac.helperTool.plist

Any idea where the auto-launcher might be lurking? I guess I could rename the .app file to something else, like, .xxx, but, if the auto-launcher functions and fails to find the .app file, presumably the system could hang or something?

Hi,

On my Mac, they are not in my home directory (not in ~/Library/) but they are in the system level /Library/LaunchAgents/

Here is what mine shows:

kevin-hendrickss-imac:LaunchAgents kbhend$ cd /Library/LaunchAgents
kevin-hendrickss-imac:LaunchAgents kbhend$ pwd
/Library/LaunchAgents
kevin-hendrickss-imac:LaunchAgents kbhend$ ls -l
total 24
-rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 474 18 Nov 18:42 com.sony.ReaderLibrary.ReaderLibraryLauncher.plist
-rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 418 18 Nov 18:42 com.sony.ReaderLibrary.RunReaderLibrary.plist

So I would search your system for those files and move them someplace else. Then restart your system.

Kevin
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #13
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
<Snip> nevermind...somebody already answered this. Sorry...

Last edited by leday; 12-24-2009 at 04:51 PM.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:34 AM   #14
Cwluc
Cwluc began at the beginning.

(Windows) Actually all you need to do is drill down in regedit to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run]
"eBook Library Launcher"="C:\\Program Files\\Sony\\Reader\\Data\\bin\\launcher\\Reader Library Launcher.exe"

remove that entry, then either kill the process or restart and you're home free.
Cwluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
dfunk9
dfunk9 began at the beginning.

Related problem (MAC) re: launching Reader Library

I am running OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard. I have a Sony PRS-505. Three weeks ago everything was fine: I was able to open the Reader Library from my Applications folder and see my books, buy new ones from the eBook store, load & view them on my PRS-505, etc. As of yesterday the application won't launch. All of my other applications work as normal.

Here's what happens: when I double-click the Reader Library icon the app starts to load and then hangs. In the menu bar at the top -- to the immediate right of the Apple logo -- the 'Reader Library' app name appears, but nothing else (e.g., after 'Firefox' the other menu bar items are 'File', 'Edit', 'View', 'History', etc.). All that appears is Reader Library. There are no error messages, no spinning beach ball, it just stops. I have to do a Force Quit to close it.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and applied the suggestions regarding the .plist files listed on this thread.

Does this look familiar to anyone? Any suggestions on how to fix?
dfunk9 is offline   Reply With Quote