Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Helenl
Helenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Original
Bought used Kobo and cant sync

I had to purchase a used Kobo because my original wouldn't take a charge. The original owner has a Kobo account, which is still active, and I can't figure out how to sync this one to my new account. I have managed (a month or so ago) to download from Calibre, but I can't do it now, my device does not show up. I don't hear the connection tone when I plug it in.
Helenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Have you tried to do a complete factory reset to force the Kobo to ask you for your Kobo account?

See here for details on how to do a factory reset:

http://kobo.intelliresponse.com/inde...ry%20settings?
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Helenl
Helenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura aboutHelenl has a spectacular aura about

I restored, and still nothing, it seems my computer doesn't recognize the hardware when I plug it it, it doesn't show up in 'my computer'
Old 01-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Hmmm, my old Touch did sometimes had trouble connecting to my PC. It would not show up.

A couple of other options you have:

1) Try to use another USB port of your PC and see if it connects. Typically you should have a few USB ports, either at the front or the back of your PC (or sides if you have a laptop)

2) If trying all your USB ports doesn't work, then try with another mini-USB cable if you have another one (like for an Android or BlackBerry smartphone - iPhone cables doesn't work as Apple have their own proprietary format).

3) Finally, if you have access to a different PC, try with this PC.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You are selecting the option on the Kobo to connect, correct?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Helenl

I tried different ports, I seem to be well charged, and i am in 'manage library'.....
Old 01-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Helenl

somethings working, i changed cords....now, lets see
Old 01-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
Helenl

would you know how i can get my first kobo to work? i tried different cords, it wouldn't charge, i used a paper clip in the back to reset it and it wouldn't.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
Helenl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenl View Post
somethings working, i changed cords....now, lets see
it worked, thanks, even calibre recognized it. stupid cord, all it was good for was recharging, and i bought it new, for the old kobo! i was going to give iy one for day, then buy an ipad instead.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
would you know how i can get my first kobo to work? i tried different cords, it wouldn't charge, i used a paper clip in the back to reset it and it wouldn't.
How long did you try each cable? How long has it been since you've used the older Kobo? Sometimes it needs an overnight charge to have enough power to wake up. I suggest leaving it plugged in at least overnight, preferably into a wall charger.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
Tzar
World War II buff

Quote:
it worked, thanks, even calibre recognized it. stupid cord, all it was good for was recharging, and i bought it new, for the old kobo! i was going to give iy one for day, then buy an ipad instead.
Glad it worked out with a different cord. All USB cables aren't created equal unfortunately, some work better than others depending on the device you are using.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
Helenl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
How long did you try each cable? How long has it been since you've used the older Kobo? Sometimes it needs an overnight charge to have enough power to wake up. I suggest leaving it plugged in at least overnight, preferably into a wall charger.
I did that! Plugged it in everywhere, bought a new cord, used the wall charger, a different computer, pin reset. It was just over a year old. I contacted Kobo, and I still haven't thrown it out!...just a little attached.