Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2023, 02:39 PM   #436
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
At least at this point (I just ordered one), I'm dispassionate about whether the Notebook features improve, as I don't see myself using those. It's too much of a closed system, even if it improves. But they are obviously going to have to do some updates to get it up to par with the competition. And they have even stated specific features are on the way.

But as far as reading features go, I'd like to see them add Print Replica support and ability to have 2 columns when in Landscape orientation. I doubt they will, and it is not a big deal if they don't. And why can't you use the 'Pen' to select and highlight text as you can with a finger or capacitative stylus? (e.g. some option to turn off Sticky Notes, or some such)

I've been predicting the death of Kindle for years, but here we are.
Yep, the only software updates I want are two column view in landscape and I want my progress bar back.

Nice to have would be the layout of the kobo, with the option to have book title and chapter name displayed top and bottom, plus I like seeing page x of y at the bottom, in the center, as is possible on the kobo. I am resigned to the fact that Amazon will likely never make these options available, so I have a kobo as well.

Enjoy your Scribe, it is a wonderful device!
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:22 PM   #437
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
But as far as reading features go, I'd like to see them add Print Replica support and ability to have 2 columns when in Landscape orientation. I doubt they will, and it is not a big deal if they don't. And why can't you use the 'Pen' to select and highlight text as you can with a finger or capacitative stylus? (e.g. some option to turn off Sticky Notes, or some such)
Great points on updated functionality we can hope for. In my experience, I can use the Pen to highlight text just as I can with my finger on the Oasis.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:27 PM   #438
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I love my Scribe, but I'm a little cheesed off it is now so much cheaper - it seems very soon for the prices to be slashed. I wonder if it is a tactical move to try to eliminate the competition.
It could be to dump the stock because the current stock has a nice gap that exposes the insides.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:30 PM   #439
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Great points on updated functionality we can hope for. In my experience, I can use the Pen to highlight text just as I can with my finger on the Oasis.
Oh, good. Somehow I thought I read that it went directly into Sticky Note mode. But I'll experience for myself soon!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:34 PM   #440
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It could be to dump the stock because the current stock has a nice gap that exposes the insides.
Has anyone verified how insides are exposed (apart from just being a gap to nowhere)?

Oasis also has such a gap, it is just smaller. Probably to prevent the glass from getting damaged if it falls on an edge.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:38 PM   #441
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Has anyone verified how insides are exposed (apart from just being a gap to nowhere)?

Oasis also has such a gap, it is just smaller. Probably to prevent the glass from getting damaged if it falls on an edge.
https://www.reddit.com/r/kindlescrib...r_confirm_this

There is a really good photo of the gap.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:25 PM   #442
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/kindlescrib...r_confirm_this

There is a really good photo of the gap.
I saw that, but I have not seen evidence that this is typical, or of wide spread complaints. (Cynically that could just mean nobody is buying Scribes, or that people generally lack the sensitivity to notice such things.)

And if it is indeed for shock protection, the gap might need to be larger than what Oasis has, given relative size/weight.

Oasis seems to have some sort of gasket in there, but there's a bit of space between the screen and the gasket, enough to catch dust that's not easily dislodged. Maybe the gasket has to do with water proofing.

But to function as designed (or at least not look weird), the gap should be equally distributed on the four edges, and it was not on the above device.

I will have one of my own in a couple of days, so will have another data point to share.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-06-2023 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 06:32 PM   #443
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I saw that, but I have not seen evidence that this is typical, or of wide spread complaints. (Cynically that could just mean nobody is buying Scribes, or that people generally lack the sensitivity to notice such things.)

And if it is indeed for shock protection, the gap might need to be larger than what Oasis has, given relative size/weight.

Oasis seems to have some sort of gasket in there, but there's a bit of space between the screen and the gasket, enough to catch dust that's not easily dislodged. Maybe the gasket has to do with water proofing.

But to function as designed (or at least not look weird), the gap should be equally distributed on the four edges, and it was not on the above device.

I will have one of my own in a couple of days, so will have another data point to share.
data point = gap = return it
Old 01-06-2023, 06:47 PM   #444
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
data point = gap = return it
We'll see. If it looks weird it'll go back, probably for refund.

Even if it looks okay, I'm not sure I'll want to keep it. But I won't know until I play with it some.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:41 PM   #445
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
It’s a non-issue.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 10:03 PM   #446
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Oh, good. Somehow I thought I read that it went directly into Sticky Note mode. But I'll experience for myself soon!
I was originally afraid of the same issue. I couldn't find anything in the online manual about this. I hope you really enjoy it.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 10:26 PM   #447
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
It’s a non-issue.
I expect so.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:54 AM   #448
Sonnenfee
Zealot
Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Sony, Woxter
I was surprised about one thing. I’m still using Calibre 5.31.1 and when ordered the Scribe I was pretty sure that I’ve to update my Calibre to 6.xx cause my older version wouldn’t recognize the Scribe. I was wrong, the 5.31.1 did!

Another very likely surprise today. The arrival of the skin ordered at DecalGirl was announced to Jan, 16. I have already received it today. As expected there is no issue with the skin and the Fintie Cover. Everything works fine as it should. Closing the cover makes the Scribe to a sleeping Scribe.

The skin from DecalGirl also includes skins for the pens. One for the standard pen and one for the premium pen, anonther surprise. I will not use it for my standard pen but may be this information about the including skins for the pens is interesting for others.

Now my Scribe is absolutely perfect for me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Scribe - Sleeve & Cover.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	198867   Click image for larger version

Name:	DecalGirl - Milky Way - klein.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	539.3 KB
ID:	198868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Scribe - Skin - Milky Way.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	790.0 KB
ID:	198869  
Sonnenfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 12:35 PM   #449
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Looking forward to following how your Fintie experience goes to see if it is as excellent as mine has been. That looks great with the starry views.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:49 PM   #450
Zimmy
Connoisseur
Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Got mine today.
Kind of miffed that they offer you 3 month trial to Kindle Unlimited but if you ordered it with the free trial, it was 4 months.
The device looks and feels amazing so far.
----
update, I got an email that let me chose the 4 month offer again.

Last edited by Zimmy; 01-07-2023 at 03:38 PM.
Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote