Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3S, android phone
Looking for basic ADE help after a computer crash

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've just suffered a catastrophic failure of my hard drive, with the result that although most of my data is backed up, I'm going to have to install all my programs etc from scratch on a new machine in the next few days. Generally, I'm confident of tracking down setup files and knowing what I'm doing, but I don't use ADE enough to be confident about what I need to do.

Can anyone point me to some really clear instructions for installing ADE on a new machine if you already have a user ID and account (as opposed to an install from scratch where you want to create a new ID)?

I also can't remember at all what my user ID and password are, what format they take or how I access them. (If someone can let me know what the format is, it will probably jog my memory.) I also can't remember whether I attach the installed program to my ID on my computer or on the Adobe website.

Finally, am I right in vaguely remembering that there is a limit on the number of machines you can add to an ADE account? Is there any way to remove my old machine from it given I have no more access to the computer? I know I can't buy any epub books with ADE security or re-download any I already own until I have a machine linked to my ADE account or I won't be able to read them on other machines, but is there any reason not to register my work computer (which I don't normally use for personal purposes) to ADE and buy books now to be transferred to my new home computer once it arrives?

Sorry to be asking such basic questions -- I still use Mobipocket as my primary e-book format and hadn't realised how little I remembered about the ADE setup process.
Storm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Can't help too much, but from what I remember, your adobe ID is the email address you used to register with. As for your password, well, you'd have to ask adobe for some help with that obviously.

In the first instance I'd ask Adobe for help (Jim Lester does read these forums and he is extremely helpfull)

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
It depends upon how much you have backed up.
If you backed up the entire contents of the (My) "Digital Editions" folder (including manifest.xml), then restoring that folder, and then installing ADE should get you back to your previous state.

If you just backed up the .pdf and .epub files, then you will need to install ADE, and then import those files back into ADE (Library->Add Item To Library - you can multiselect btw, for more than a couple hundred books, be patient it make take 10-20 secs to get everything in).

To install ADE, go to http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions and click on the big button that says Install

If you have any problems let us know.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks both of you

I'm still working theorectically here until my new computer arrives, but just to confirm -- if I start by installing ADE on the link you give, I will be prompted for email address and password during the install and won't accidentally set up a new account? I will then be able to copy and paste the epub files I already have into a suitable directory and use the import files function because the new installation on my computer will read their DRM.

(Sadly I have reasonably complete back ups but not in the most user friendly format so I can't copy just the entire directory)

Can you give me any more information about number of machines on one account? It feels like a bit of a waste to add my work pc to my account for the sake of a few days, but there's a particular book with a new release rebate at fictionwise that I'd like to buy this week.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm27 View Post
Thanks both of you

I'm still working theorectically here until my new computer arrives, but just to confirm -- if I start by installing ADE on the link you give, I will be prompted for email address and password during the install and won't accidentally set up a new account? I will then be able to copy and paste the epub files I already have into a suitable directory and use the import files function because the new installation on my computer will read their DRM.
As long as you use the same AdobeID. If you use a different AdobeID, then you will get errors (I don't remember the exact one) saying that your books are licensed to a different account.

You should make sure your existing books still work before purchasing new books, this will avoid creating a mess.

Quote:
(Sadly I have reasonably complete back ups but not in the most user friendly format so I can't copy just the entire directory)

Can you give me any more information about number of machines on one account? It feels like a bit of a waste to add my work pc to my account for the sake of a few days, but there's a particular book with a new release rebate at fictionwise that I'd like to buy this week.
The nominal limit is 6 computers and 6 devices (ie Sony 505's etc...). Note however you can't deauthorize to get an allowance back. (Instead your allowance is slowly increased over time to allow for things being sold, or blowing up). If you have problems with running out of your allowance, submitting a Web support case ( http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions click on "Submit a web case") will get it resolved for you.

If you do want to use your work PC, again, first make sure your can read your existing books before purchasing a new book. Again, this will ensure you don't end up creating two Adobe DRM accounts, which is painful to resolve.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
Storm27
Connoisseur

Thank you!

That's very clear so I should be okay once I get the computer. (Though I won't be authorising my work pc -- the book I wanted was from Harper Collins)