Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
New Sony freebies: Celebutards

Sony ebookstore has a new bunch of freebies up - a couple of romances and also "Celebutards" by Andrea Peyser.

I've downloaded "Celebutards". After a quick browse I think it might be worth what I paid for it. Amazon however, thinks it's worth $17.90 and four stars.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Sony ebookstore has a new bunch of freebies up - a couple of romances and also "Celebutards" by Andrea Peyser.

I've downloaded "Celebutards". After a quick browse I think it might be worth what I paid for it. Amazon however, thinks it's worth $17.90 and four stars.

I don't know where you're getting your price.

The current Amazon price is $9.60. It may or may not be lowered to reflect a freebie, but at this moment the lowest price is $9.60.

The Sony is the one to go with if one has a Sony....or 2, as I do.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Most excellent, thank you!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I would have gotten "Celebutards," but then I saw all of the reviews on Sony from Republican political pundits. I'll pass on it now.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
The book is okay. But if you want to read someone picking on liberals, Ann Coulter is a better writer and is much funnier.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I don't know where you're getting your price.

The current Amazon price is $9.60. It may or may not be lowered to reflect a freebie, but at this moment the lowest price is $9.60.

The Sony is the one to go with if one has a Sony....or 2, as I do.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one.

Don
Curious. Yesterday, Amazon was showing $17.90. I just checked them again and now -

The main Kindle price is $11.99 'including international wireless delivery'.

In a box below it shows -

Kindle Edition, February 1, 2010 $11.60
Kindle Edition February 1, 2009 $9.99

Could this be because Amazon knows I'm enquiring from Australia and it's adding $2 onto the US price of $9.99 for the international wireless delivery?

Another question that just occurred to me. Does Amazon have freebies like Sony, and if so, would they charge $2 'international wireless delivery' for a freebie?
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
All the Amazon freebies cost $2 for international users. There is no extra delivery free, they just make them all $2 in the first place.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
All the Amazon freebies cost $2 for international users. There is no extra delivery free, they just make them all $2 in the first place.
Even if you want them for Kindle for PC? They should offer an option for download only. To save $2 per book I would happily hook my Kindle up to the computer if I was a non-US user. $2/book can add up quickly.

-Marcy
Old 01-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
The book is okay. But if you want to read someone picking on liberals, Ann Coulter is a better writer and is much funnier.
Ann Coulter is an idiot. I've even heard that said of her by respected news people on TV.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Yes, even for Kindle for PC. The higher price helps pay for the wireless network access (wikipedia, etc), as well as for delivery (as many times as you want and from any country you want, unlike US customers that pay 1.99 for each delivery when outside the US). I suspect a portion of it also goes to the local publishers.

All three books are pre-orders in the Kindle store, so may be free there later (Celebrutards has a prior edition, but I'd bet free Sony edition is the same one not yet released in the Kindle store, as several other books have followed this same pattern).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Ann Coulter is an idiot. I've even heard that said of her by respected news people on TV.
This is a silly comment. She is an idiot because some nebulous someone said so. And if you're talking about liberal mainstream media news TV personalities, well there's a good source.

I don't agree with all of her views on the world, but I do think she is a) a very good writer and b) very funny. I can see past the difference in our views to note these points, even when I don't agree with her. Many political writers are boring, poor writers or frequently both.

This book is sort of like Ann Coulter, but with a lot of repetition, boring and inconsequential facts presented in the most boring way possible and not an ounce of humor. For example she picks on Barbra Streisand's spelling endlessly. I got it after the first sentence -- I didn't need paragraphs about what is really an unimportant issue.

If you're looking for a similar format book picking on liberal personalities, Bernard Goldberg's "100 People Who Are Screwing Up America" is also better written with a bit of humor. Or is he an idiot too?

-Marcy
Old 01-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Thank you for the freebie heads up!!!!

XXOO
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #13
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Any author that makes Keith Olbermann's "Today's Worst Person in the World! list" is OK in my book.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try to restrain yourself from insulting other folks reading taste. Ms. Coulter may not be your thing, but there is no need to be disrespectful. To some folks your "respected news people on TV" might be idiots.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #15
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
RCR,

I think you can avoid the $2 "foreign" fee at Amazon. I do here in Mexico. I turn off the wireless on the Kindle, buy from my laptop, go into my account and change delivery to download. I then download the book to my laptop. Afterwards I copy the book to my Kindle using the USB cable.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote