Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #91
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Let's take an example. Let's suppose that you have the following structure of your document:

Code:
Desserts: Ice-Cream (Heading 1)
	Recipe #1 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #1 text (Normal)
	Recipe #2 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #2 text (Normal)
	Recipe #3 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #3 text (Normal)
Desserts: Cheesecakes (Heading 1)
	Recipe #4 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #4 text (Normal)
	Recipe #5 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #5 text (Normal)
	Recipe #6 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #6 text (Normal)
Desserts: Crumbles (Heading 1)
	Recipe #7 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #7 text (Normal)
	Recipe #8 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #8 text (Normal)
	Recipe #9 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #9 text (Normal)
As you said, you wanted to split the "Desserts: Cheesecakes" section. Let's suppose that you want to add a new section "Desserts: Biscuits" between "Desserts: Cheesecakes" and "Desserts: Crumbles". Let's suppose that the "Recipe #6" above should be included in this new "Desserts: Biscuits" section. Here are the step-by-step instructions:

1) Click at the end of the "Recipe #5 text", or immediately before the "Recipe #6 heading", and press Enter to create a new blank paragraph.

2) Press Ctrl+Shift+S, choose "Heading 1" with the arrow keys, and press Enter.

3) Type "Desserts: Biscuits" (without quotes of course).

That is all. Now you should have the following structure of the document:

Code:
Desserts: Ice-Cream (Heading 1)
	Recipe #1 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #1 text (Normal)
	Recipe #2 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #2 text (Normal)
	Recipe #3 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #3 text (Normal)
Desserts: Cheesecakes (Heading 1)
	Recipe #4 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #4 text (Normal)
	Recipe #5 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #5 text (Normal)
Desserts: Biscuits (Heading 1)
	Recipe #6 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #6 text (Normal)
Desserts: Crumbles (Heading 1)
	Recipe #7 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #7 text (Normal)
	Recipe #8 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #8 text (Normal)
	Recipe #9 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #9 text (Normal)
Merging sections is even simpler. Let's suppose that you want to undo creation of the "Desserts: Biscuits" section. Just select the entire "Desserts: Biscuits" paragraph in your document (click at the beginning of this paragraph, and press Ctrl+Shift+End), and press Del.

Individual recipes can be easily moved within the document. You only need to select the corresponding "recipe heading"+"recipe text", cut it to the clipboard (Ctrl+X), and paste before the desired heading of another recipe, or before another "Heading 1" paragraph. This can be also done with the mouse (I mean "drag & drop"). Things are even more convenient if you use the "Headings" panel of the Control Board of Atlantis. You could also have automatic numbering for your recipe headings. I could explain all this in details. But I afraid my post is already too long.
awp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #92
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

There is one more method to move entire chapters within the document. If you select the "chapter heading"+"chapter body", you can move the selection within the document with the Shift+Alt+Up or Shift+Alt+Down hot keys. This method is explained here in details.
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #93
Boomstick
Boomstick began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
That is all absolutely fantastic. I honestly have no idea why I was having so much trouble with this to begin with as it really is so very simple.

And yes, I preferred the two level TOC until you provided the level three one, which spaced items out just a little better.

Thanks again.
Boomstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #94
tkoc
tkoc began at the beginning.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Interesting software, thanks for the tip. As a ebook newbie I will try my hands on it running it on OS X in Parallels. Seems promising.
tkoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #95
awp
Addict

We did not test Atlantis Word Processor under Parallels. But it would be interesting to know if Atlantis works under this virtualization software.
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #96
awp
Addict

Just an update on the latest changes to the Save as eBook feature of Atlantis Word Processor.

The latest beta version of Atlantis Word Processor saves cover images to eBooks in a more friendly way towards the Mobipocket Reader. You can find the details here:

http://atlantiswordprocessor.blogspo...obipocket.html
Old 01-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #97
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Excellent ! I took one of my poems, saved as epub, and it reads just fine in the Adobe DE I have installed on my desktop computer. I'll convert several of my poems and load them on my Astak later today. I'll post back and let you all know how it went. Well... this weekend is 50% extra experience in Everquest, so there might be a slight delay on working on my poems.
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #98
awp
Addict

A further improvement of the Save as eBook feature of Atlantis Word Processor.

As you probably know, the major eBook readers do not support the "small caps" and "all caps" formatting in EPUBs. I mean the "font-variant: small-caps" and "text-transform: uppercase" CSS attributes.

The latest beta version of Atlantis Word Processor automatically simulates the "small caps" formatting in EPUBs by applying the uppercase pattern and a reduced font size to lowercase letters. The "all caps" formatting is also simulated. The details are here:

http://atlantiswordprocessor.blogspo...mitations.html
Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #99
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
I registered my copy of Atlantis, and in another thread, looking for a place to upload my epub done 3 poems as a test. If no one has any suggestions, I can always upload them to my poetry site.
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #100
nohuhu
nohuhu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
awp,

Some questions if you don't mind:
  • When it will be possible to open epub document for editing?
  • Are there any plans for including regular expressions Search & Replace as standard feature? I'm afraid without it this otherwise very fine editor is much too underpowered for any serious consideration as main ebook preparation/conversion tool.
  • Is it possible to import html documents? Can't see a way just now and it also a shortcoming in my view.
  • Scripting/macros? If you could embed Perl in there, I think I'd be just ecstatic, and not only I.
  • Finally, any thoughts on ditching that outdated and inconvenient MDI approach? Even Microsoft did that, eventually. (Somebody or another be praised)

These are the issues preventing me from buying a license right now, in priority order. I guess I could live with MDI but other issues are major in my opinion. From your blog, I got an impression that most of the new features and improvements are related to epub and that could mean that the editor is groomed as primary tool for the ebook preparing people who can't (or won't) afford production system like Adobe InDesign. That niche, as far as my research indicates, is completely empty at present, Sigil project being in unstable alpha stage and other tools like eScape and online or standalone converters being a little less than completely unusable.
I'm sad to say that situation changes very, very slowly. I've been monitoring this segment for long time and although there are faint gleams of hope appearing recently, it's still a long way to happiness here. I think epub has great potential but it can't be used as a base e-library format as yet. However, provided that there is at least one decent and inexpensive tool, the situation could change pretty fast, I think.

As one more suggestion, I think it couldn't hurt to add importers for "competing" ebook formats. Batch conversion doesn't always yield expected results and in my experience, some manual adjustment is required almost always and that is better done on a piecemeal basis.

Anyway, Atlantis looks promising so far.
nohuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #101
awp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohuhu View Post
From your blog, I got an impression that most of the new features and improvements are related to epub and that could mean that the editor is groomed as primary tool for the ebook preparing...
Actually it is just a coincidence that many posts in the Atlantis Word Processor Blog are about its "Save as eBook" feature. It is a relatively new feature which was introduced 6 months ago. We also made many improvements to this feature following positive response from our end-users. The Atlantis blog itself is also a relatively new thing – it is only 3 months old. So it is quite natural that there should be many eBook-related posts in the blog. But of course there will be posts on other issues and features of Atlantis.

We understand that most members of the mobileread.com forum might be interested mainly in the EPUB creation feature of Atlantis. But the "Save as eBook" feature is just one of the many features Atlantis has to offer. First and foremost Atlantis aims at being a fully-fledged word processor. It won't ever be a simple conversion tool, not even to the EPUB format. Atlantis is not built around its eBook-related capabilities like other eBook software discussed in this forum. The Atlantis eBook feature is rather an add-on to the main capabilities of Atlantis. One of the mottos of Atlantis is "the creative writer's best friend". Atlantis is designed mainly so that writers can compose and format text as easily and conveniently as possible. This is the most important and daunting task facing a writer, the e-publishing phase itself being only rather like the final icing on the cake.

Quite understandably, many writers are totally unfamiliar with such things as scripting, XHTML, CSS, OCF, OPF, OPS, conversion to the EPUB format, etc. Their job is to write text, not to become experts in the EPUB or XHTML arcane specifications. As a matter of fact, the conversion to the EPUB format often proves a real stumbling block to a lot of writers, as is obvious from this teleread article. This is why we have added the "Save as eBook" feature to Atlantis, so that people do not spend so much time on various EPUB stuff meant for programmers or tech geeks but not for writers. The idea behind the "Save as eBook" feature of Atlantis was to make EPUB file creation as simple as possible. This is why Atlantis does the conversion to the EPUB format fully automatically: only a few mouse clicks are needed to convert any document to an EPUB file. Atlantis users can write their own documents from scratch or import existing documents in any of the supported formats (DOC, DOCX, RTF, ODT, TXT). Converting them to a publishable EPUB file is then as easy as ABC.

Quote:
Are there any plans for including regular expressions Search & Replace as standard feature?
"Regular expressions" are on the wish list. But I cannot say when they will be implemented in Atlantis. Honestly, they are not on the "most urgent" list.

Quote:
Scripting/macros? If you could embed Perl in there...
Sorry, but it is unlikely that Atlantis will ever support Perl scripting.

Quote:
I think it couldn't hurt to add importers for "competing" ebook formats.
If other major eBook formats were "open", we would consider adding support for them.

Quote:
When it will be possible to open epub document for editing?
Any document opened in Atlantis is first converted to the internal format of Atlantis. A book content in this internal format can be then converted to the EPUB format. From a purely technical point of view, an EPUB document could be converted to the internal format of Atlantis. But even if Atlantis was capable of importing existing EPUB files, re-saving them in Atlantis would produce a rather different EPUB content. Atlantis could not automatically perform the "delicate" EPUB tweaking that is necessary in such cases. You can however perform advanced tweaking of any EPUB file yourself manually if you use our free tweak_epub utility.

But if you want to edit EPUB files generated by Atlantis, it is much preferable to open the corresponding source documents in Atlantis, whether they have been created in the RTF, DOC, or DOCX format, edit them as desired, then re-save them in Atlantis as eBook (File | Save Special > Save As eBook...). The conversion to the EPUB format will then be as lossless as possible.

Quote:
Is it possible to import html documents?
Atlantis currently cannot import HTML documents. But it is fairly easy to convert HTML text to the RTF, DOC or DOCX format. Internet Explorer has a command to "Copy selection to the clipboard". It places data onto the clipboard in RTF format. So you can open any HTML document in IE, "select all" text with Ctrl+A, "copy" the selection with Ctrl+C, then paste the clipboard contents into Atlantis with Ctrl+V. You'll get a reasonably faithful copy of the original HTML text.

Quote:
Finally, any thoughts on ditching that outdated and inconvenient MDI approach?
What's wrong with the "Multi Document Interface"? Would you rather have multiple document tabs on the Windows Taskbar? Actually, many seasoned MS Word users look back nostalgically to the good old days when MS Word had a MDI interface… I am not even mentioning the new ribbon GUI of MS Word 2007+.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #102
andymillson
eBook Fan
andymillson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600, Apple iPad
VMware Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp View Post
We did not test Atlantis Word Processor under Parallels. But it would be interesting to know if Atlantis works under this virtualization software.
I use VMWare Fusion (another virtualization product) to run Windows (XP and Vista, and 7 hen i get around to it) on my Mac

So far the Atlantis WP works great

In most cases, most windows apps work well using virtualization. Games or apps that use 3D graphics etc arent always quite so successful

Andy
andymillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:18 AM   #103
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have problem with embedded Thai fonts (I use FreesiaUPC)

After creating an epub output file by Atlantis with embedded Thai font, the ebook shows Thai characters correctly in the Adobe ADE reader, but it won't wrap the sentence to fit the display window; the text just overflow to the right of the display window.

From what I have inspected by looking at the output 1.html inside the zipped epub file and compare with what it displays on Adobe ADE, every paragraph in the html will display in one line only in Adobe ADE. So each paragraph content will be overflown to the right of the display screen.

I've tried embedded English font, and there is no such problem.

Is there any way to solve this problem?
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #104
awp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymillson View Post
I use VMWare Fusion (another virtualization product) to run Windows (XP and Vista, and 7 hen i get around to it) on my Mac

So far the Atlantis WP works great

In most cases, most windows apps work well using virtualization. Games or apps that use 3D graphics etc arent always quite so successful

Andy
Thanks for the info, Andy. According to the feedback from our users, Atlantis Word Processor also performs flawlessly in Wine.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:30 AM   #105
awp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
I have problem with embedded Thai fonts (I use FreesiaUPC)

After creating an epub output file by Atlantis with embedded Thai font, the ebook shows Thai characters correctly in the Adobe ADE reader, but it won't wrap the sentence to fit the display window; the text just overflow to the right of the display window.

From what I have inspected by looking at the output 1.html inside the zipped epub file and compare with what it displays on Adobe ADE, every paragraph in the html will display in one line only in Adobe ADE. So each paragraph content will be overflown to the right of the display screen.

I've tried embedded English font, and there is no such problem.

Is there any way to solve this problem?
Lines in your EPUB file (attached to this thread) are not wrapped correctly when viewed in ADE and Sony Reader. But Mobipocket Reader, FBReader, and EPUBReader display them correctly. Firefox and Internet Explorer also display the HTML file from your EPUB correctly.

All this has nothing to do with font embedding. It seems that ADE has problems with rendering Thai texts.

Tags
ebook, epub