Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-17-2008, 04:15 AM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Nick Hornby: "I'll never be caught reading an ebook"

From his guest post at the Penguin blog we already knew Nick Hornby isn't an ebook fan. In the Sunday Times I found a piece from his hand called "I'll never be caught reading an ebook". It's pretty much the same piece as his blog, the title is just that much worse. He seems to be really campaigning against ebooks and ebook readers! Why?
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:32 AM   #2
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
He seems to be really campaigning against ebooks and ebook readers! Why?
Thats a good question. I guess he is from the classic "educational spirit" an the humboldt ideal. Well I am also very Humboldt-isch, however many of this people mismatch the paper book as glorification of the education ideal, and really oversee that new medias have as much education potential in them if used correctly. They think the world can only be rescued if we stick to the paper book, because the paper book is where education comes from.

I think we argued already in the other thread while this whole assumption is wrong. Its about texts we like, not paper. The same holds true with movies, people actually like the movies itself not the VCR.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 05:12 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If anyone knows how to get in contact with Mr Hornby, let's do so and invite him to join MR. He might find some revealing new information here.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
I was almost going to suggest raising some money, buying the poor man an ebook reader and let him loose on that for a bit, see if that will change his mind...but I think indeed we should campaign back!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 AM   #5
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I think he already made up his mind. Why confuse him with facts?
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Maybe he is just e-illiterate. Or maybe he is a closet ebook reader and is ashamed.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
I was almost going to suggest raising some money, buying the poor man an ebook reader and let him loose on that for a bit, see if that will change his mind...but I think indeed we should campaign back!
I'd sure he would scream up "Devil, destroyer of human civilisation! End of education, I must end it here and now!" And would slice a knife throgh the eReader the next second. After that he'd go to wash his hands on his 2-shelf feeling encylopedia britannica, to get the glorious paper feeling again all over his hands.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Well, typewriters were also a diabolical invention. The contracts and other documents drawn up by hand were often works of art, and they were replaced by typing, which is hardly esthetic. I'm sure Mr. Hornby would be delighted if we all went back to the era of handwritten documents.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I've said it before, and I'll say it again ...

He's an idiot!!
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
No, he's not e-illiterate. Nor is he ashamed. Nope. He's a coward. Go look; you'll find that he has a full blog presence but he refuses to allow comments AND he refuses to share any direct email contact point.

IOW, he feels secure in making these sweeping condemnations because he doesn't have to listen to the feedback from anyone who disagrees. That makes him a coward. People need to start appearing at his book signings and panel discussions with signs that read "Nick Hornby is a Coward."

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
No, he's not e-illiterate. Nor is he ashamed. Nope. He's a coward. Go look; you'll find that he has a full blog presence but he refuses to allow comments AND he refuses to share any direct email contact point.

IOW, he feels secure in making these sweeping condemnations because he doesn't have to listen to the feedback from anyone who disagrees. That makes him a coward. People need to start appearing at his book signings and panel discussions with signs that read "Nick Hornby is a Coward."

Derek
As long as mine can read "Nick Hornby is an Idiot (and a Coward)."
Old 07-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again ...

He's an idiot!!
Ricky, you're going to have to watch yourself. Some people will think you have no strong opinions.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
As long as mine can read "Nick Hornby is an Idiot (and a Coward)."
"Nick Hornby is:
A) An Idiot
B) A Coward
C) A Luddite
D) A Piss-Poor Writer
E) All of the Above"

Option's A thru C are obvious. Option D requires a bit of thinking. If he were a stellar author, he'd want to see his books available on as many platforms (including dead-tree) as possible. He doesn't. Which means he lacks confidence in his own work. Which means *HE* thinks his writing stinks.

Thus, the only choice is Option E.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Ricky, you're going to have to watch yourself. Some people will think you have no strong opinions.
Shy little moi?? Opinions??? Nooooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
"Nick Hornby is:
A) An Idiot
B) A Coward
C) A Luddite
D) A Piss-Poor Writer
E) All of the Above"

Option's A thru C are obvious. Option D requires a bit of thinking. If he were a stellar author, he'd want to see his books available on as many platforms (including dead-tree) as possible. He doesn't. Which means he lacks confidence in his own work. Which means *HE* thinks his writing stinks.

Thus, the only choice is Option E.

Derek
OK .... but a sign that says "Nick Hornsby is All of the Above" ... just doesn't seem to get the message across.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
grizgrin
Master of My Universe
grizgrin is on a distinguished road

Location: I live in Greenville, SC, but spend a bit more than half the time away from home. For the past year or so I have been working on a project in India, and let me tell you that was a culture shock!
Device: laptop (I'm here to learn then buy!)
Only thought on this cat...

I've no real idea who Nick Hornby is, nor do I really care much. However, I just had to say that anyone who blogs and uses a format that does not include any kind of feedback (heck, at least post up some of the emails you get, but not an option with this guy evidently) is not bloging. That person is pontificating, pure and simple. That alone makes him suspect. I mean, who the heck is he trying to convince?

Either that, or his title is more apt than it initially seems, and what it MEANS is "I'll never b caught reading an e-book because I ninja-read so no one will ever catch me!"
grizgrin is offline   Reply With Quote