Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
kapsi
kapsi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Send epub to Kindle

I use the FbKindle program for reading on Kindle, instead of the default reader. It reads mobi as well as epub files. However, if I have a book in epub format, Calibre won't send it to Kindle without converting it to mobi. I'd like to send it as epub, so there won't be any quality lost in conversion, but now I have to find the book in its folder on disk, then copy it to Kindle manually, which is less convenient than Calibre.
kapsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapsi View Post
I use the FbKindle program for reading on Kindle, instead of the default reader. It reads mobi as well as epub files. However, if I have a book in epub format, Calibre won't send it to Kindle without converting it to mobi. I'd like to send it as epub, so there won't be any quality lost in conversion, but now I have to find the book in its folder on disk, then copy it to Kindle manually, which is less convenient than Calibre.
Preferences -> Plugins -> Device Interface plugins -> Kindle 2/3 Device Interface -> Customize plugin -> tick 'epub' as a supported format.

Should do the trick.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
kapsi
kapsi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
It works! Thanks a lot
kapsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
You're welcome :-)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Dolphy
Dolphy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
thank you from 2014, I registered just to say how happy I was to find this anwer. Exact same issue, and frustratingly hard to figure out.

(EDIT)
Actually, this didn't quite work. Calibre is still converting the file to MOBI. I am using Moon Reader+ Pro. Any ideas? I would much prefer to leave my epubs unconverted.

Last edited by Dolphy; 06-24-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Dolphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphy View Post
thank you from 2014, I registered just to say how happy I was to find this anwer. Exact same issue, and frustratingly hard to figure out.

(EDIT)
Actually, this didn't quite work. Calibre is still converting the file to MOBI. I am using Moon Reader+ Pro. Any ideas? I would much prefer to leave my epubs unconverted.
Are you using Moon+ Reader Pro on your Kindle 2/3? Can you teach us how to do that too?

You need to enable the correct formats in whichever Device Interface driver you are using. If you are using the Kindle, I assume you mean the Kindle Fire, which uses a different driver than the Kindle E-inks.

While the device is plugged in, click, in the Toolbar, on the dropdown for "Device" and select "Configure this device". See screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-configure-device.png
Views:	427
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	124602  
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:07 AM   #7
Dolphy
Dolphy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Are you using Moon+ Reader Pro on your Kindle 2/3? Can you teach us how to do that too?

You need to enable the correct formats in whichever Device Interface driver you are using. If you are using the Kindle, I assume you mean the Kindle Fire, which uses a different driver than the Kindle E-inks.

While the device is plugged in, click, in the Toolbar, on the dropdown for "Device" and select "Configure this device". See screenshot.

Okay, I did this, and checked the box for "epub," however when I try and send it an epub file it still doesn't work. This happens in these two scenarios:

1) Running content server via wired connection, browsing to an epub book, choosing `download to device`, gives message that there are no acceptable formats.

2) Running Calibre's wireless device connection -> send file to device -> I get a prompt that there are no acceptable formats and asking to convert the file.

I hate to admit this but I've had the Kindle Fire for six months and have been using Calibre with it since day one (well, day #2 to be precise..), and have never fixed this. I just click through and let it convert all my .epubs to .mobi. For the most part I haven't really noticed significant problems but I suspect there have been some TOC and formatting issues. Plus I'm not sure why I bought MoonReader+ Pro and haven't been taking full advantage of it.

Thank you for helping me on this three year old thread! I'm new here, so if you think I should post this problem to a new thread or a different, existing thread, please tell me.
Dolphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:37 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Do you mean to say that using the OPDS view in Moon+ Reader, you browse to EPUB books and cannot download them? If so, I am completely lost as to why this should happen.

What is this about the Wireless Device connection? If you are using Calibre Companion, the settings for which formats are sent is inside the app itself.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, fbkindle, kindle