Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #23701
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm just not having my day.

Friday is my day off work and I wanted to cycle to the garden centre to have a look around. First my father calls me just after 10am where I was, it turns out he had to go pick up something at a supplier and he had thought he'd asked me to work until he got back, which he didn't. He got back around noon and when I was getting my coat and bag my mother told me she had a doctor's appointment at 1.30 and I had to stay until she got back in case it was busy in the store and my father needed help.

She didn't get back until just before 3pm because she decided to do some shopping (when she knew I was waiting). And when I finally got to my bicycle I found that the gear cable was broken. My father had been out on his bicycle so I asked him and he told me that when he put his bike away he got caught on what he thought was a brake cable.

Anyway, I called the bike repair shop and they could fix it for me today but it won't be ready until around 6pm, too late to go out. So I'll get it repaired on Monday. Unfortunately today is supposed to be the last sunny, warm and/or dry day for a while and I can't even take my sister's bike because one of her tires has a puncture.

I'm somewhat cranky now because I was really looking forward to getting out in the sunshine today. I'm hoping it won't cost too much to get the brake cable replaced, on the plus side I can have them check my brakes, one need adjusting.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #23702
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I took my new motorbike in for it's 1,000km check and oil & trans fluid change. Only took one hour and cost about $7. But when I asked the mechanic when was the next scheduled oil change, he said 'at 13,000 km.' I asked if they were using some sort of new magic oil, something that could actually last 12,000km and he said no... why would I ask such a silly question? I said, because you keep telling me that the next oil change is at 13,000km, and that's 12,000km from where I'm at now! That's when it dawned on him that he was supposed to give the bike a 1,000km 'new bike' inspection, change ALL the fluids, tighten all the nuts and bolts, etc., etc., etc., and NOT just change the oil as he might at 10,000km... So I had to sit there for another hour while he did all the work he was supposed to do in the first place. It's not as if he mis-understood me... He actually looked at the odometer while he was writing up the work order. He just added an extra '0.' Then I asked how long it was going to take before my license plate and registration book was going to take? I've been waiting more than two months and they were supposed to call me when it came in. He went into the office to check, and came out with my number plate and registration book... When I signed for them, I noticed that they'd arrived almost two weeks ago... They said they were trying to call me, but I wasn't answering. These days, with phones that show all missed calls and caller ID, that sort of excuse just no longer flies. I could see my phone number along side my name, and they had the correct number. They simply forgot to use it....

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #23703
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
All this crap is exactly the reason why I don't do social media, and why (almost) nobody knows both my internet nicks and my real name.
Yeah, I knew someone would say this. :P

Honestly, I've been lucky. I won't say I haven't had (or even caused) drama with social media (years and years ago), but I have found ways to minimise it and have not encountered it like this in a couple of years.

Quote:
People will love you and people will hate you. And in most cases, it has absolutely nothing to do with you...
I don't mind the hate. It's the fact this person specifically sought out to wound me in a really nasty manner.

But... you are correct. I should not let this say anything about me, but let it speak for that person.

Thank you for the responses.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:46 AM   #23704
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I'm somewhat cranky now because I was really looking forward to getting out in the sunshine today. I'm hoping it won't cost too much to get the brake cable replaced, on the plus side I can have them check my brakes, one need adjusting.
Bummer
Regarding the gear cable, it shouldn't be expensive. I usually buy a spare one for about 2 € and it doesn't take long to replace and adjust. Of course it depends on the type of bicycle you're riding and the cost of labour in your country.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #23705
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Bummer
Regarding the gear cable, it shouldn't be expensive. I usually buy a spare one for about 2 € and it doesn't take long to replace and adjust. Of course it depends on the type of bicycle you're riding and the cost of labour in your country.
I've learned not to mess with the brakes and gears, or at least not let my father mess with them . I had the tires (inner and outer) replaced by them and I thought he was cheap so I expect a fair price.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #23706
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
WAHHHHH! I broke my PB360. WAAAA!

I feel like I want to be a two year old and throw a tantrum.

My PB360 fell out of my pocket while I was reaching for something else. Landed on a corner at an angle that popped off the cover. When I got home, the buttons didn't work, and I noticed one corner of the device was getting quite hot. Reset, took out battery and replaced, etc. After having the battery out several minutes, I could get the light to come on in a slow blink for several seconds, but nothing changed the screen, and the hot spot re-occurred. I've got the battery out now, so that I don't have any chance of a meltdown or such. Seems like I at least broke the screen controller if not the screen itself, and probably another short circuit inside somewhere. I think it's toast.

I almost bought that one DrDrib was selling last month, but stalled too long. Now I don't have one. Sniff.

I like the way the pb360 fits in my hands, which is at least as important as the particular screen, and the firmware it ran was nice too.

Seems strange to be sad about needing to go back to a larger reader.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #23707
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Oof! You have my sympathy!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 AM   #23708
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
nothing like finally falling asleep after a long struggle only to be awoken by cat sneezing in my face multiple times
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #23709
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
My new-to-me's car's brakes started squealing. I have only owned the car six months, so I wasn't entirely sure if a dealership with a used car department (as opposed to a shady entirely used car lot) would sell a certified pre-owned without slapping new brake pads on it, so I took it to a closer mechanic for an oil change (needed) and to have them look see the brakes and replace if necessary.

The mechanic comes to chat with me and tells me that the brakes are fine and I have plenty of pad left. He even has a multi-point inspection paper with tread depth, engine, brakes, and a bunch of other areas assessed and graded. The sheet has his signature and recommendations. It rates the brakes green (great) and lists a number for pad thickness.

"You are sure about this? They were making the 'need to be changed' squeal." said I.

"Yes, your brakes are fine." was the reply.

"But why the sound?"

"Maybe they are poor quality pads. This is a thing that happens with cheap pads."

"And there is no way you could have confused my car with any other on the lift and we are really talking about my car?"

"Nope. I worked on your car. Other mechanics worked on other cars."

So I drove off, believing him because it is what a reasonable person would do.

Then, a week later, the brakes changed from squealing to grinding. Right, I know what you are thinking and I thought the same thing.

So this time I made a brake appointment at the dealership where I bought the car (farther and a hassle) and the mechanic there confirmed what I suspected: brake pads completely gone and the rotors were damaged beyond repair. Mondo expensive brake job and was unsafe to drive on. I gave them the inspection sheet that the previous mechanic had given me and the dealership confirms that all details, save the brakes, match up to my car. They are as confused as I am.

I tried to do the responsible thing and am upset that I was misled. I cannot for the life of me figure out what motivation the first mechanic had for incorrectly reporting the state of my brakes. I would expect it to go the other way where he'd recommend a brake job that wasn't yet necessary what with earning money and all; not the opposite. I am ticked.

Also, because of this, I have been out of use of my car for a full week (then Honda sent the wrong parts and while they were at it they noticed a problem with my axle which is a free warranty repair for which Honda again sent the wrong parts). I have had a string of three loaners, but I miss my car.

Anyone have any advice about what my next step should be to hold the first mechanic accountable? It was a AAA Car Care Center. I still have the bloody, signed inspection sheet and can likely get the dealership to write something up. I am not necessarily looking for money, but want to make sure that this guy doesn't put other people in the dangerous situation of thinking they are okay to drive when they will quite quickly be driving on no pads.

Last edited by theinfamousj; 03-20-2014 at 08:17 AM.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #23710
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Was the mechanic an employee of the garage? As opposed to the owner? If an employee you could report this to the owner.

If that does not get you anywhere you could try reporting this to AAA. Since it was one of their Car Care Center's they would need to know that there are issues with this location.

Really glad you are OK.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #23711
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I have a major, MAJOR, majorly major lawsuit that has been pending for 8 years. I just received notification that I have 6 days to provide financial information.

really?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #23712
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
First, theinfamousj, you should call AAA informally and bring this up. They may be able to provide some guidance on your options. You can always file a formal complaint with them later. Both AAA and the service centers take a AAA rating seriously.

Good luck!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #23713
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
@thefamousj

1. Definitely complain to higher ups. That's a serious issue. As cromag said, companies with AAA ratings take that sort of thing very seriously.

2. My first thought is that if you came in around lunch or quitting time - they may have just not felt like working on it.

3. I'm glad you weren't hurt because of this person's negligence.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #23714
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
[...]

The mechanic comes to chat with me and tells me that the brakes are fine and I have plenty of pad left. He even has a multi-point inspection paper with tread depth, engine, brakes, and a bunch of other areas assessed and graded. The sheet has his signature and recommendations. It rates the brakes green (great) and lists a number for pad thickness.

[...]

and the mechanic there confirmed what I suspected: brake pads completely gone and the rotors were damaged beyond repair. Mondo expensive brake job and was unsafe to drive on. I gave them the inspection sheet that the previous mechanic had given me and the dealership confirms that all details, save the brakes, match up to my car. They are as confused as I am.

[...]

Anyone have any advice about what my next step should be to hold the first mechanic accountable? It was a AAA Car Care Center.

[...]
The same thing happened to me.

As for the next step, I'd write a letter to the manager mentioning what had occurred, the expense and time it had cost you and the fact that their multi point check list wasn't worth the paper it was written on and leave the karma with him and enjoy your new brakes.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #23715
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
The same thing happened to me.

As for the next step, I'd write a letter to the manager mentioning what had occurred, the expense and time it had cost you and the fact that their multi point check list wasn't worth the paper it was written on and leave the karma with him and enjoy your new brakes.
That is what I would do as well. Get the information out to help the next person, then get on with your life. Retribution really isn't the way.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness