Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
MizSuz
Connoisseur
MizSuz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura, Android w/CoolReader
64-Bit: Universal Changes Require Saving Every Chapter

Hi!

Several months ago I got a new computer and went from Windows XP, 32 bit to Win7 64bit. I did a default installation of the 64 bit version if Sigil on to my Win7 system.

The only significant difference I've experienced is that when I was using the 32bit software I could do universal changes that effected multiple html pages within the epub and, with HTML Tidy turned on it would ask upon save if I want Sigil to fix the problems. For example:

I could start with headers that look like this:

Code:
  <p><br class="calibre1" />
  <br class="calibre1" /></p>

<p class="calibre2">Chapter One</p>

And make a universal change that looks like this up to the word "Chapter":
Code:
  <p class="paracent"><br /></p>

<h2 class="chhead">Chapter
And upon saving the epub it would replace all the end paragraph tags with end header 2 tags, and it would make this change universally after asking me if I wanted it to do that.

Now, with 64 bit, I have to save once for every page/ chapter that is effected. This is not a big deal with 10 or 20 chapter books, although it is pain. However, 60 chapter books are starting to bother me.

Is there something I have neglected to turn on that will make the corrections universally, the way it used to with 32 bit?
MizSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You were relying on Tidy to clean up after you deliberately made mess (if you insist on continuing this insanity, change your clean source preferences to use Tidy HTML)

IMHO a tiny bit more REGEX and you could have rebuilt with the proper H2 closing tag
Code:
<p class="calibre2">Chapter (.+?)</p>
Code:
<h2 class="chhead">Chapter \1</h2>
Lots cleaner (code save reliability wise)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Also, the latest version of Sigil is not available in 64-bit.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Officially, no. I still have pretty good luck building the 64-bit version from source, though. Even if there is no real performance benefit.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
MizSuz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You were relying on Tidy to clean up after you deliberately made mess (if you insist on continuing this insanity, change your clean source preferences to use Tidy HTML)

IMHO a tiny bit more REGEX and you could have rebuilt with the proper H2 closing tag
Code:
<p class="calibre2">Chapter (.+?)</p>
Code:
<h2 class="chhead">Chapter \1</h2>
Lots cleaner (code save reliability wise)
Thank you. I will save those and try to use them again in the future.

The truth is that I am hit or miss with the Regex and I don't like to come here and ask people to troubleshoot code for me all the time. I feel like I'm taking advantage.

When I was using XP the making a mess and letting Tidy fix it was working for me, now not so much.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
MizSuz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I'm using 0.7.2 version 5.0.2 Build time 4/14/13. Is that not the 64bit? I could have sworn that was what I intentionally downloaded.

I have HTML Tidy turned on, though. I miss being able to "save" and have it fix universally instead of requiring me to do a save for every html document in the epub that needs a fix.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:52 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Relying on Tidy will get you in deep water sooner than later. I only use the pretty print option, but that is it.

Most RegEx is not that complex and you will get the hang of it quickly. The more complex stuff requires more knowledge. The example you gave is not that complex.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Officially, no. I still have pretty good luck building the 64-bit version from source, though. Even if there is no real performance benefit.
I would swear there was. I think but in no way can prove that the 64 bit version used more than one of the 4 cores in my machine. Now it only seems to use one of them and so is a bit slower. But with other changes made, those could be affecting it instead.

When Sigil is in total brainlock, the task manager shows cpu usage at 25%, no higher.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I would swear there was. I think but in no way can prove that the 64 bit version used more than one of the 4 cores in my machine. Now it only seems to use one of them and so is a bit slower. But with other changes made, those could be affecting it instead.

When Sigil is in total brainlock, the task manager shows cpu usage at 25%, no higher.
I've got an unofficial 64-bit Windows version of 0.7.2 on my Google drive, if you're interested (same place where I have the unofficial Linux binaries). Let me know and I'll get you a link.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
multi-core support should surely be added to the 32 bit version, if it's not already there ?

that's not the same issue as 32 vs 64 bit.

the only "delay" I ever notice is in loading sigil to begin with but that is down to windows prefetch not having the nous to keep it loaded
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
MizSuz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've got an unofficial 64-bit Windows version of 0.7.2 on my Google drive, if you're interested (same place where I have the unofficial Linux binaries). Let me know and I'll get you a link.
I would appreciate that. Am I really not using a 64 bit version? I thought I was. I remember specifically clicking a 64 bit link when I first installed because I was having to do that with several pieces of software I use regularly.

Will it make a difference?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
MizSuz
Connoisseur

I just looked at my installation file history (I keep them historically for a while in case I want to roll back after the legacy install file is no longer available). The last installation file I used that was specifically 64 bit was:

Sigil-0.6.2-Windows-x64-Setup.exe

Since then they do not specify 64 bit. I suppose I assumed I was getting that because this was the first one I installed with this new, 64 bit computer.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I am testing out that proposition here using a 64 bit version which DiapDealer graciously provided to me.

It seems to be a bit faster, but I am going to have to load a monster epub with basement full of footnotes, images, etc to really find out.

Later...I tested it on a 45 meg epub. I can't really pin down any difference, as much as I would like to find one.

A search/replace for 4500 items using regex took place almost immediately. I swapped out <dt> for <p> leaving the guts of paragraph in place.

Last edited by mrmikel; 07-17-2013 at 07:30 AM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote