Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
I'm not keen on the new main screen, I hope it is customisable because I don't want "suggested books" there. Feels like you can't get away from being advertised to.
This is something I wondered about after looking at the manual. It sounds like it's only in cover view, not list, but I agree I don't need them recommending things on my home screen.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Tragic Flaw

It's not ideal to hold. The Paperwhite is light and small and a definite improvement over the Kindle Touch in ergonomics. But it's also not quite as comfortable to hold one-handed as the Nook Simple Touch, due to the relatively small side bezel. And since it's a touchscreen, you've got to worry about blasting off to another page by accident.
That is highly subjective. Everyone has hands which are unique. What works for one person might not work for anyone else. I personally agree that most Kindles are difficult for me to hold and operate in one hand unless I place them in a cover to add thickness and surface area. But I must make that same statement state for almost any current device I know of whether a cellular phone, a tablet, an eReader, et cetera. The modern trend in design is to make the devices ridiculously thin and small. Cosmetically speaking it might make for cool looking devices, but ergonomically speaking it makes holding and operating them problematic for a lot of people, myself included.

However I do not see this as a "tragic flaw" because most new gadgets are made thin and small and thus could be said to be also tragically flawed. This includes the iPhone which is sold by the tens of millions. If one is flawed then they all are. I am going to put a cover or case around my devices anyway, so I choose one that allows me to comfortably hold and operate the device.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-01-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Does anybody make covers that are specifically for ergonomics and not just protection? I'm thinking of those camera grips you can get (that used to have an "autowinder" and now have an extra battery). It's like a roll on the end that you can grab. Anybody seen anything like that?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #19
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
glue a handle on the back
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by esin View Post
Forget Everything Else

Why should we forget about Kobo Glo?
Primarily because it hasn't shipped. No way to provide a comparison.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That is highly subjective. Everyone has hands which are unique. What works for one person might not work for anyone else. I personally agree that most Kindles are difficult for me to hold and operate in one hand unless I place them in a cover to add thickness and surface area. But I must make that same statement state for almost any current device I know of whether a cellular phone, a tablet, an eReader, et cetera. The modern trend in design is to make the devices ridiculously thin and small. Cosmetically speaking it might make for cool looking devices, but ergonomically speaking it makes holding and operating them problematic for a lot of people, myself included.

However I do not see this as a "tragic flaw" because most new gadgets are made thin and small and thus could be said to be also tragically flawed. This includes the iPhone which is sold by the tens of millions. If one is flawed then they all are. I am going to put a cover or case around my devices anyway, so I choose one that allows me to comfortably hold and operate the device.
I don't think the iphone comparison is apt. A phone with a 4 inch screen can easily be held in the palm of your hand and operated with your thumb; the same cannot be said for a device with a six inch screen(in other words, unlike the six inch device, you don't hold a phone by the edges).

I agree that the small bezel of the new kindle is not a tragic flaw. However, the fact that the touch kindles in general have poor ergonomics compared to the nook(i don't know about the kobo) should be noted.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
I don't think the iphone comparison is apt. A phone with a 4 inch screen can easily be held in the palm of your hand and operated with your thumb; the same cannot be said for a device with a six inch screen(in other words, unlike the six inch device, you don't hold a phone by the edges).

I agree that the small bezel of the new kindle is not a tragic flaw. However, the fact that the touch kindles in general have poor ergonomics compared to the nook(i don't know about the kobo) should be noted.
I totally disagree...the iPhone darn sure can be held by the bezel if turned landscape. Besides the comparison is about thinness not about bezel width.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #23
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Primarily because it hasn't shipped. No way to provide a comparison.
Engadget has reviewed both devices, but hasn't compared them.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #24
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I totally disagree...the iPhone darn sure can be held by the bezel if turned landscape. Besides the comparison is about thinness not about bezel width.
In the quote you responded to in your first post the "tragic flaw" was explicitly in reference to the small bezel

"But it's also not quite as comfortable to hold one-handed as the Nook Simple Touch, due to the relatively small side bezel."

The reference to its thinness was in a sentence noting the improvements of the paperwhite over the touch

"The Paperwhite is light and small and a definite improvement over the Kindle Touch in ergonomics."

But as you and booklover6 have already observed, the thinness of the bezel cannot be called a tragic flaw since for many people it's not a problem.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #25
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
In the quote you responded to in your first post the "tragic flaw" was explicitly in reference to the small bezel

"But it's also not quite as comfortable to hold one-handed as the Nook Simple Touch, due to the relatively small side bezel."

The reference to its thinness was in a sentence noting the improvements of the paperwhite over the touch

"The Paperwhite is light and small and a definite improvement over the Kindle Touch in ergonomics."

But as you and booklover6 have already observed, the thinness of the bezel cannot be called a tragic flaw since for many people it's not a problem.
You are incorrectly combining the text from the review I quoted and my actual comments. That is a no no. I used the phrase "ridiculously thin and small" to show what I was referring to.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[removing duplicate post. something's up with mobileread.com...]
Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #27
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Engadget has reviewed both devices, but hasn't compared them.
I wouldn't consider the Engadget article a 'review,' more like a first look and recitation of the spec sheet. Like the ones we saw for Kindle Paperwhite after the launch event.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #28
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I wouldn't consider the Engadget article a 'review,' more like a first look and recitation of the spec sheet. Like the ones we saw for Kindle Paperwhite after the launch event.
They made a video in this one:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/19/h...readers-video/
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #29
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
glue a handle on the back
Actually some sugru could probably be place strategically to improve the grip.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #30
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I've always wound up getting a cover, which changes all these fine-grained ergonomic considerations that people split hairs over. I tried to stick it out with a naked Kindle Touch (ergonomically it was fine, maybe not as good as Nook), but wound up eventually dinging up the screen a little bit (not even knowing how or when it happened). Now I have the lighted cover (it finally went on sale) and have been happy with that arrangement.

I don't know if my experience is typical, but it seems prudent to use a cover. In which case it doesn't matter as much how it feels in your hand without one. So I don't put much emphasis on that 'feature'.