Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Unable to open any books

I have a most bizarre issue with my kindle, I am unable to open any books at all, even RSS feeds via Calibre, the error message I am getting is
Quote:
The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and redownload it from Archived items available in Home
I have tried deleting, re-downloading but to no avail, I have also restarted the kindle a couple of times with no success, I have previously installed the 3.1 update. I have fired off an email to Amazon CS, but I thought that I would try the forum first before I go to the expense of phoning CS. Wi-Fi is working.
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
r1n2l
r1n2l began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
exact same problem here, has been working perfect since christmas. Now all i get is this same message
r1n2l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you are in the habit of removing DRM from Amazon purchases before putting them on your Kindle, you should know that Amazon has recently made changes that will affect you.

Go talk to Alf.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you are in the habit of removing DRM from Amazon purchases before putting them on your Kindle, you should know that Amazon has recently made changes that will affect you.

Go talk to Alf.
Thanks DiapDealer, I do as a matter of course remove DRM from books, to avoid the very issue that I seem to have now, but even the books with DRM are not opening either, but in any event I will go and have a little chat with Alf, thanks
Edit - As Alf has now retired, I'm not sure that I'll find anything that relates to this particular issue? Does anyone have a link in regards to recent changes made by Amazon?
Paul

Last edited by Paulinafrica; 02-19-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
but even the books with DRM are not opening either,
Were the DRM'ed books downloaded specifically for/to the Kindle you're trying to read them on? Or were they downloaded via K4PC, then added to calibre (where the plugin does it's magic), THEN transferred to the Kindle?

If it's the latter, the recent changes will certainly cause the problems you are experiencing. If it's the former, you have an entirely different issue that you should definitely call Customer Support about.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-19-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I had an issue with a book I was trying to move to my Kindle last night, I updated my Calibre "enhancements" and then the book opened.

Quote:
Edit - As Alf has now retired, I'm not sure that I'll find anything that relates to this particular issue? Does anyone have a link in regards to recent changes made by Amazon?
While Alf himself is retired, his legend lives on. Check the blog for updates.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Were the DRM'ed books downloaded specifically for/to the Kindle you're trying to read them on? Or were they downloaded via K4PC, then added to calibre (where the plugin does it's magic), THEN transferred to the Kindle?

If it's the latter, the recent changes will certainly cause the problems you are experiencing. If it's the former, you have an entirely different issue that you should definitely call Customer Support about.
So are you saying that since Amazon made some changes, I should reconvert all my books again in Calibre? I thought once the DRM was fixed they would be ok forever.

Thanks,
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Paulinafrica
Zealot

Quote:

DiapDealer, TBH I can't remember, but I think I may have downloaded to the kindle for android app and transferred to the kindle.
Paul
Old 02-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
Paulinafrica
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I had an issue with a book I was trying to move to my Kindle last night, I updated my Calibre "enhancements" and then the book opened.

While Alf himself is retired, his legend lives on. Check the blog for updates.
Thanks abookreader, I did check the blog but didn't see anything obvious that relates to this particular issue, AFAIK I do have all the latest 'enhancements' in Calibre. At this juncture I am both baffled and quite annoyed that Amazon seem to be remotely preventing me from reading any content on my kindle at all, I can't even open news feeds downloaded via calibre!
Paul
Old 02-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure that nothing that Amazon have done has prevented you from reading your books. You've presumably tried resetting the Kindle?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinafrica
DiapDealer, TBH I can't remember, but I think I may have downloaded to the kindle for android app and transferred to the kindle.
Yes, you will be affected then. Update your plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan
So are you saying that since Amazon made some changes, I should reconvert all my books again in Calibre? I thought once the DRM was fixed they would be ok forever.
You're correct, once your ebook is "fixed", it's fixed. No need to reconvert. The change only affects new purchases or older purchases that are re-downloaded from Amazon.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
Paulinafrica
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure that nothing that Amazon have done has prevented you from reading your books. You've presumably tried resetting the Kindle?
Thanks HarryT, I've reset the kindle a number of times but to no avail.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #13
r1n2l
r1n2l began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
hi i just recieved a phonecall from amazon, i was told to press menu, settings then menu again. then select reset and this fixed my problem (ive only had mine 2 weeks and for some reason never considered this:P)

Last edited by r1n2l; 02-19-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: noobed
r1n2l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
Paulinafrica
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1n2l View Post
hi i just recieved a phonecall from amazon, i was told to press menu, settings then menu again. then select reset and this fixed my problem (ive only had mine 2 weeks and for some reason never considered this:P)
Well I'm glad that this has solved your problem, I've tried this a number of times but no go so far I'm afraid.
Paul
Old 02-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Woah, woah, woah!
That is the "Reset to Factory Defaults" option! I'm not saying that it might not be eventually necessary, but that should always be the last option you try. If you've only had your Kindle a little while, then it's certainly no big deal, but those who have had theirs for quite a while may be dismayed to find all of their books gone... not to mention all of their customizations and hacks.

That is the ; "let's just start all over from scratch" option... and not to be taken lightly

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-19-2011 at 10:38 AM.