Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #1021
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRogi View Post
On the kindle, it shows full bars on signal strength and that it's connected to the WiFi, thus "valid". However, when attempting to sync the device or use the store, it claims it cannot connect. Very odd.
Not so odd - check the date on the Kubrick post.
It was created before Amazon went to TLS-only on their servers.
Updating to a newer version of firmware includes the newer SSL/TLS certificate files.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:06 AM   #1022
samuelgb
samuelgb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Thanks once again for your help. My Kindle 4 is back to life!!!

Running Kubrick in a VM (I couldn't find another way), it got me to change the frozen screen to the initial one with the tree and the loading bar. That was just after doing the key combination to put the Kindle in USB Download mode, although it never seemed to complete that step and couldn't progress any further.

I left it like that for a few days as I went away. When I came back last night, I charged the Kindle. This morning I simply switched it on once charged... and everything fine.

I had fully charged it just before using Kubrick, but I guess switching it on and off a few times and trying Kubrick for 2 days drove it a bit crazy.

Thanks for your help. And no, Amazon, I don't want a discount for a new Kindle.
samuelgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #1023
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

file system error correction time.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #1024
itias
itias began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
It happened that my KT got into frozen state. Tried a reset first and Kindle started to reboot (boy under a tree and progress bar) but after that screen went blank and no button actions helped from that. I charged my KT over night and tried Kubrick - the only strange thing I noticed was that instead of turning green, the amber LED just turned off when - I suppose - it got fully charged.
"So time to Kubrick" I thought and that's why I'm here
I think I did everything just according the instructions:
- physical machine (oldie-but-goldie T42)
- boot Kubrick 3.6 from USB
- selected Kindle 5 (Touch)
- followed the instructions up to "Put your Kindle into USB downloader mode and now:

pressed power and hold until LED's off, simultaneously pressed and hold Home button, released power (led went on) and released Home. Nothing changed on kindle nor on screen so I pressed Next.
On the following screen "Putting device into Fastboot mode" there's "waiting for device..." and it waits forever.
Is there anything else I can do or my Kindle is dead once and for all?

Thanks in advance

Greg
itias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:41 AM   #1025
samuelgb
samuelgb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Hi Greg,

I have gone recently through a similar ordeal with my Kindle 4. I just tried the programme once and again and got stuck at the same point as you.

After trying many times for a couple of days, I didn't touch the Kindle for 3 days. When I got back to it, it was in need of charging, which I did... and then it worked again. At the beginning the ink was a bit faint and it took longer tan usual turning pages, but after a few days it is running like new.

I'm afraid no tech advice from me, but encouragement for patience and perseverance.

Good luck ;-)

Samuel
samuelgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #1026
Senji
Senji began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K3
Hi,

I'm trying to use Kubrick to unbrick my Kindle K3; but it's not working and as far as I can see the kindle isn't getting into fastboot mode; its remaining in 'SE Ringo BLANK' mode throughout.

Any help would be appreciated.

S.
Senji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #1027
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senji View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to use Kubrick to unbrick my Kindle K3; but it's not working and as far as I can see the kindle isn't getting into fastboot mode; its remaining in 'SE Ringo BLANK' mode throughout.

Any help would be appreciated.

S.
Its junk, sell it as spare parts.
(A well know failing of the K3 that no one has ever solved.)
Old 03-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #1028
mrgatto96
mrgatto96 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
info kindle keyboard

my second hand kindle keyboard just bought in China has the version 3.0.3 and I'm experiencing some issues updating it manually so I would like to try with Kubrick.
My kindle would risk to brick during the process or at worst it won't work?
Thanks
mrgatto96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #1029
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgatto96 View Post
my second hand kindle keyboard just bought in China has the version 3.0.3 and I'm experiencing some issues updating it manually so I would like to try with Kubrick.
My kindle would risk to brick during the process or at worst it won't work?
Thanks
It should not do any harm, only work or not work.

You will still have to update the firmware installed by Kubrick.

Give us more information on what you are doing and what is the result of each thing that you try.
Using Kubrick will probably not fix whatever the problem is, that needs to be fixed before you continue with anything.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:06 AM   #1030
mrgatto96

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It should not do any harm, only work or not work.

You will still have to update the firmware installed by Kubrick.

Give us more information on what you are doing and what is the result of each thing that you try.
Using Kubrick will probably not fix whatever the problem is, that needs to be fixed before you continue with anything.
I went to amazon and downloaded the appropriate update to 3.1. I then copied it to the root directory, and it seemed to update fine. The update process ends in success. Then, rather than reboot, it re-enters the update screen, this time failing, and I am left with the old firmware.

Also, the number "U006" appears at the bottom of the update failure screen.

To troubleshoot I have tried (both on my own and with support on the line)

Factory reset
redownloading the file

After each, I recopied the un-renamed update file to the device.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #1031
knc1
Going Viral

What are the first four characters of the device's serial number?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #1032
mrgatto96

Quote:
What are the first four characters of the device's serial number?
B006 which means wifi+3g non europe
Old 03-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #1033
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
B006 which means wifi+3g non europe
Are you sure you are using the update with that model number in the name:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...e_3.1_B006.bin
Old 03-14-2017, 01:32 PM   #1034
mrgatto96

Quote:
Are you sure you are using the update with that model number in the name:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...e_3.1_B006.bin
I am. Actually I tried to solve with kubrick but something went wrong and now the device is frozen in the usb drive mode
Old 03-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #1035
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I am. Actually I tried to solve with kubrick but something went wrong and now the device is frozen in the usb drive mode
Well, I did say you needed to find out what was wrong with it before you tried doing that.

It is spare parts now, except for the flash chip, which is now bad.