Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like the new Paper White 2?
Yes 81 87.10%
No 12 12.90%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Paper White 2

I know there has been a lot of talk on these forums about the new Paper White second generation, however I would like to get a sense of the general opinion of the new model, in a more simplified format. Do you like the new model of paper white or would you rather have not bought it in the first palce ?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Interesting Poll but it seems a little incomplete to me. Do I like the pw2, yes. Do I like the Cloud Collections, no. Together, the jury is still out...
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Wholesalestunna
Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iPad
I'm not voting because I only have the first Paperwhite, but I don't like the second one enough to buy one over the one I have. I've heard rumors a new one is coming out at the beginning of 2014 and want to see what that's about.
Wholesalestunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I like the PW 2013 and everything works perfect for me with the latest firmware upgrade INCLUDING Collections.

Bookmark handling is a distinct improvement over the PW 2012 plus legibility is superb.

I only buy my eBooks from Amazon and do not use Calibre or side loading. Those factors may make perceptions of the value of the PW 2013 different for some folks.

I use the same Collection labels on my K4PC, PW 2012, PW 2013 and HDX 2013. The HD 2012 has no Collections. I have a different Collection label for books currently being read by my wife and myself.

I keep WiFi off on all devices except when being used and get 9 to 20 days of battery life on each.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-27-2013 at 10:50 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
I like new paperwhite, is a great ereader, but need to be jailbroken for be better.

I must say that it isn't the definitive reader, i thought it will be when was announced, but for me not be, maybe the 2014 kindle...
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
State of the art keeps moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
I like new paperwhite, is a great ereader, but need to be jailbroken for be better.

I must say that it isn't the definitive reader, i thought it will be when was announced, but for me not be, maybe the 2014 kindle...

There is no question that the PW 2014 WILL be more state of the art than the PW 2013. New generations of eReaders come out every 12 months and make last year's versions obsolete.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Voted no. Had one, returned it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Just got one for Christmas and I like it so far. Still don't understand how the cloud collection sync works, but I'm rollin' with it. I had a K4NT before and its nice to have a light for reading in bed while the spouse sleeps
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Have owned one now for almost three months. I like it--and it's now my "go to" reader. But, I would like it much better if the collection "feature" worked better. As it is, I don't use collections and keep fewer books on it than I ever did on my Sony Readers. I also keep wi-fi off almost always, so the firmware on my reader is still the original 5.4.0.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Adore mine, but looking forward to a fix for some of the more egregious Cloud Collections issues (and less buggy firmware overall). I still recommend it to most potential users.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
alaskazimm
alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook Touch Glow; Kindle Paperwhite 2
Yes.

I had the PW1 and it had light green/pink splotches. Nothing major enough that I returned it. The PW2 for me has even lighting and I like the software tweaks for footnotes and the page find.
alaskazimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
IF they put reading lites in Kindle keyboard I would buy it! I Don't like touch Nor No Speakers! So guess for now NO!
O and why don't they have cloud for older models?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Yes, I really like mine. The last update, though, I didn't like much. Cloud collections and the extremely limited goodreads integration were not good additions for me.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #14
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a couple of PW 1's but I bought the PW 2 because of the Page Flip feature. Now I'm kind of rotating between the 3 devices to better compare them. Page Flip is great! The new way of doing bookmarks are a serious improvement.

But what I'm finding out is that I really don't care which one I use. The old bookmarks were okay. Page Flip is nice but it's not as big a deal as I thought it would be for me. What matters is reading and they're both about the same with respect to reading.

I'm glad I bought it. I wanted 2 3G Paperwhites and now I have that. I'm satisfied.

I think the problem with the new features is that, as good as they are, the Paperwhite was already nearly perfect and there's just not a lot that can be done to make it better.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I voted no as I'm not currently using my PW2 - the last update did me in. I'm using the Kobo Glo. When Amazon comes out with a PW2 update that fixes the "you need to turn wifi on" message I'll probably go back to it (although I'm really liking the Glo).

I talked to one of their techs and they were shocked that I camp for weeks at a time at places with no wifi. Obviously they choose their update procedures for "plain vanilla" folks who don't do things out of the ordinary.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote