Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Things to Check your HDX for Defects

I’ve been asked to make a thread for newbies to check their new HDX for defects.

I can only post what I have read or experience but I hope this helps some.
  1. Check that all tabs work and load properly. On my HDX 1 the audiobook tab wouldn’t load and I had to do a factory reset to fix it. So try out each tab and make sure it shows your Cloud Library and everything works as it should.
  2. Make sure auto brightness is disabled and go into Books and open a book set the tablet back a bit and change the theme to sepia look for any strange change in the screen like the auto brightness is on. It can be very subtle now change to night theme and check it and then to white and look again. My HDX 1 started acting up a week after I got it so it can happen at anytime. Next check Documents the same way and then Settings and any other places you can think of. I call it a flicker but it’s more like the background changing shades. It should not do this! Replace tablet if it has this problem. A factory reset wont fix it.
  3. Go back to Books and open a book change to white theme and look around the edges. Does the blue edges bleed into the text area? It should no do this. You should only see it on the edges of the screens and in the corners. My HDX 2 bled throughout the screen giving it a greenish tint and in books it looks like someone with grey grease on their fingers smudge the screen.
  4. Check that search works for Books, Music and Audiobooks. You will need to go into each tab and do a search for your cloud content. My HDX 2 with old firmware would not show all music search results but the latest firmware has fixed that and my HDX 3 never had that problem.
  5. Make sure you have the latest firmware. Settings/Device/System Update/ Now touch System update and click the check now button. Make sure WiFi is on. It will tell you if there is an update available.
  6. Time to check your sound. Go to music and find something jammin’ and turn it all the way up. The lyrics should be clear not muffled. Tinny sound is normal and there are cases to boost the sound. I use the Poetic Slimline case and love it. It amplifies the sound and gives it a nice bass.
  7. Turn the brightness all the way down on the HDX. The screen should not look so dim you can’t read the text in a book in normal lighting conditions such as soft white bulbs in your living room or bedroom. My HDX 2 had this problem but I didn’t notice it till I got my HDX 3 just how dim the light was on it. The light should look at all settings crisp and clear. If it looks like someone took the contrast and turn it down to where it's hard to read text something is wrong with it.

Supposedly the blue border is normal and Amazon will not replace it for that but if it interferes with your reading you may be able to convince them. Any flashing or flickering as I call it is not normal and they will replace it. Any weird tint or color bleeds into the screen is not normal and they will replace it for that too.

Last you may notice your charger cable sits at an angle when plugged into the HDX this is normal it isn’t a defect.

Book Covers

To get books covers to show up on the Carousel the covers must be huge! I am using 1066x1600 that a member told me about works for her so far no so genetic covers when using this size. Personal Documents also need a huge size cover and you must send the book to the HDX for it to show downloading from the cloud will not generate a cover. Personal documents will not show a cover in the Documents tab and there is no cover view only list view.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote