Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #166
ebina1
ebina1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW 2013
Sorry to be dense. I have putty and hyperterm. They both ask for an ip address an a port number. How does that let me connect to a local serial port? Can you be more specific? How do I set up this software?
ebina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #167
ebina1

Ok, I've got hyperteminal connected. It says:

Welcome to Kindle!

kindle login:

Now, where do I find instructions to jailbreak it and add the screensaver hacks?
Advert
Old 11-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #168
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebina1 View Post
Ok, I've got hyperteminal connected. It says:

Welcome to Kindle!

kindle login:

Now, where do I find instructions to jailbreak it and add the screensaver hacks?
Two choices:

Use our prefix master index system to look-up the serial port de-bricking process for the older machine.

Jump on our #kindle-dev chat (IRC) channel and ask.

We have stopped giving lab126 lessons in securing an embedded Linux OS with published directions on what they missed.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #169
ebina1

Well I thought I was on chat, but I seem to be on #mobileread, if I can just figure out how to get on #kindle-dev....
Old 11-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #170
ebina1

its not listed in the channel list...
Advert
Old 11-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #171
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

/join #kindle-dev
or login to it to begin with
Old 11-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #172
ebina1

ok, found my way to #kindle-dev chat...
Old 11-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #173
ebina1

Thanks to all. I have my custom screensaver images on my PW2, and even an ugly little serial port connector so I never have to take it apart again. (The ugly connector will be covered by my kindle cover :-) )
Old 11-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #174
Semilucid
Semilucid is faster than slow light.Semilucid is faster than slow light.Semilucid is faster than slow light.Semilucid is faster than slow light.Semilucid is faster than slow light.Semilucid is faster than slow light.Semilucid is faster than slow light.Semilucid is faster than slow light.Semilucid is faster than slow light.Semilucid is faster than slow light.Semilucid is faster than slow light.

Device: none
Hi ebina1 that looks cool, good mod. I guess that makes 3 or 4 of you who have done this.

I'm curious, once you guys have an accessible serial debug connector do you have full access as root? Would you technically consider the PW2 rooted or jailbroken? How easy would it be for Amazon to patch this hardware modification, locking you out?
Semilucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #175
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semilucid View Post
Hi ebina1 that looks cool, good mod. I guess that makes 3 or 4 of you who have done this.
Fixed: #4 of those who have mentioned their work to us.
There are others who just drift into the IRC channel, suck up the knowledge, and go away again. I don't count those.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #176
Eltanin
Eltanin can extract oil from cheeseEltanin can extract oil from cheeseEltanin can extract oil from cheeseEltanin can extract oil from cheeseEltanin can extract oil from cheeseEltanin can extract oil from cheeseEltanin can extract oil from cheeseEltanin can extract oil from cheese

There is no way to jailbreak PW2 without opening it each time or damaging it ?
Will it be possible in the future ?

Last edited by Eltanin; 11-12-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Eltanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #177
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltanin View Post
There is no way to jailbreak PW2 without opening it each time or damaging it ?
Will it be possible in the future ?
Open it once, only.

Damaging it? Depends on how careful you are.
It is possible to open it and close it again without visible damage.

Unknown, our crystal balls are all off-line.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #178
ebina1

I didn't need to cut that ugly port into my case. Just liked the idea of having it, just in case. Without that you would never know I had taken it apart. Like he said, you only NEED to open it once.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #179
Eltanin
Eltanin can extract oil from cheeseEltanin can extract oil from cheeseEltanin can extract oil from cheeseEltanin can extract oil from cheeseEltanin can extract oil from cheeseEltanin can extract oil from cheeseEltanin can extract oil from cheeseEltanin can extract oil from cheese

So, I need open kindle to install jailbreak, but I dont need open it to install other things like wallpapers, fonts, language packs etc. ?
Eltanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #180
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Keep in mind that the 'other things' list is pretty much near-zero (due to lack of device) right now.

(But, yes. Provided you don't mess up, once it's jailbroken, it's jailbroken.)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote