Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-16-2018, 03:25 AM   #2296
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I've surprised myself by holding on to Kindle Unlimited for a couple months at full price, mostly because of audio books and to a lesser extent comics. I tore through the main arc of The Mongoliad, and I'm in book three of the Worldwalker series, though I've switched over to text on this one as I finally was able to pick up the thread of the most recent Foreigner audiobook. The Mongoliad audiobooks were free (and solidly narrated, great action fantasy/alt-history) and the Worldwalker audiobooks I "added narration" at $2 each. Worldwalker is written like a sloppy thriller - present day, POV all over the place, USA Today prose - but the themes and tropes are right up my alley. It's a mashup of urban fantasy and UFOs right from the start, but you can tell the author's stronger influences are probably psychological thrillers and superhero stories.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #2297
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, but first I'm reading To Die But Once -- the 14th Maise Dobbs book from Jacqueline Winsepar, read by Orlagh Cassidy, whose voice for these is somehow perfect. I can't imagine it would work for too many other series, but for this one it's just right.
Finished, and quite enjoyed. I've like this series from the beginning, and this latest one is a good example of it. Next up, the first in Mercedes Lackey's Owl Mage series, Owlflight. I nearly abandoned this after the first 2 hours of nothing but the main character's adolescent and purile whining about how bad his life was and how he was put upon. OK, I got it after 10 minutes, and I'll give you another 20 or so for emphasis. But enough! However, I got past that and I'm now rather enjoying it. And it makes a good book for swimming with, now that we're into the meat of the story.

Last edited by CRussel; 08-24-2018 at 01:13 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:15 AM   #2298
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The big issue that I've found is that the quality of narrator can vary quite a bit ranging from very good (Bronson Pichot did Glory Road and Nick Podehl did Farmer in the Sky) to average. What did you think of the narrator for Between Planets?
It was read by Andrew Eiden, and I found him quite good!

I just finished up Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan. A standard high fantasy story, which I ended up giving 4/5. It held me most of the way through, and was quite well written. My only caveats was too much forced world building (ie. piles of information which were not needed at all), and I am sure a good editor would have cut ~20% of the book.

Currently doing Jules Vernes' From Earth to the Moon, and will likely finish it today (Only 5 hours on audiobook). It is sorta dull, as the story is practically non-existant half-way through, and it reads more like a report on how to build a fantasy canon. Not at all how I thought it would be. Vernes do have a good sense of humor though. Not enjoying it nearly as much as Around the World in 80 days though.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #2299
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
It was read by Andrew Eiden, and I found him quite good!

I just finished up Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan. A standard high fantasy story, which I ended up giving 4/5. It held me most of the way through, and was quite well written. My only caveats was too much forced world building (ie. piles of information which were not needed at all), and I am sure a good editor would have cut ~20% of the book.

Currently doing Jules Vernes' From Earth to the Moon, and will likely finish it today (Only 5 hours on audiobook). It is sorta dull, as the story is practically non-existant half-way through, and it reads more like a report on how to build a fantasy canon. Not at all how I thought it would be. Vernes do have a good sense of humor though. Not enjoying it nearly as much as Around the World in 80 days though.
ok, thanks.

I liked Sullivan books up to the Age of Legend. For some reason, I haven't been able to get through those. The Crown Tower is the only book of his that I have in audiobook format. It's in my to be listened to stack.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:21 AM   #2300
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished From Earth to the Moon. 3/5, although I was close to 2/5, since it isn't much of a story. Only Jules funny writing style saved it.

Currently doing One Second After by William R. Forstchen, a post apocalyptica scifi, which I, 3/4 through it, really likes. Very well written, good characters, believeable story, and no annoying kids or superhero types. Depending on how it ends (It is gearing up to a big action fight finale, which I don't think suits the story very much), I'd likely listen to the next one too. It is read by Joe Barrett, who's doing a fantastic job!
Old 08-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #2301
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished up Monster Hunter Memoir: Saint. The reader, Oliver Wyman, is one of my favorites and he's perfect for the slightly snarky style of these books. I would give the text a 4 and the narration a 5.

Next up, Hero in the Shadows, book 3 of Gemmell's Drenai saga. I love the Drenai series and the narrator Sean Barrett suits the series. He kind of sounds like an old bard telling a story while Oliver Wyman is definately a voice actor.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #2302
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Finished, and quite enjoyed. I've like this series from the beginning, and this latest one is a good example of it. Next up, the first in Mercedes Lackey's Owl Mage series, Owlflight. I nearly abandoned this after the first 2 hours of nothing but the main character's adolescent and purile whining about how bad his life was and how he was put upon. OK, I got it after 10 minutes, and I'll give you another 20 or so for emphasis. But enough! However, I got past that and I'm now rather enjoying it. And it makes a good book for swimming with, now that we're into the meat of the story.
Finished Owlflight, and moving on to the next, Owlsight. These are moderately lame, but make good swimming books where concentration isn't required.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #2303
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Finished Owlflight, and moving on to the next, Owlsight. These are moderately lame, but make good swimming books where concentration isn't required.
Yep, I had just re-read the ebooks a few months ago and that was my take on it. (well, except the part about making good swimming books)
Old 08-31-2018, 02:58 AM   #2304
David Munch
Scholar

Currently on The First Fomic War by Orson Scott Card.
Been a while since I've been listening to anything by him. He's a good writer, but I do think he takes waaay to much time before moving the plot anywhere. I am now 2 hours in, and he's still just introducing characters without getting anywhere with a plot.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #2305
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm in the second book of Scott Meyer's Magic 2.0 series (Off to Be the Wizard was book one). It's less fantasy and more in the vein of Ready Player One with a bit of Douglas Adams thrown in, despite the predominantly medieval setting. It's a lot of fun, and probably better on audio with Luke Daniels' narration (I've been whisper-syncing).
Old 08-31-2018, 04:19 PM   #2306
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I listened to John McCain's The Restless Wave, narrated mostly by Beau Bridges; the first and last chapters were narrated by McCain himself. We have lost a great man.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #2307
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I'm on vacation this week. I listened to Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullars and narrated by Susan Sarandon on the drive down to Georgia. I think this was a free download from Audible Channels a year or two ago.
Sarandon does an incredible job narrating and uses a great (for a Jersey girl) understated Southern accent.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #2308
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I just finished The Light of Burning Shadows by Chris Evans. Loved the book, Book 2 in Iron Elves trilogy, and adored the narration by Michael Kramer. Sadly, the final book not only has a different narrator, but is not available to US market. I haven't yet started the Brandon Sanderson Stormlight trilogy, but I'm happy to read that Michael Kramer narrates that as well.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #2309
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I haven't yet started the Brandon Sanderson Stormlight trilogy, but I'm happy to read that Michael Kramer narrates that as well.
Fair warning, it's not a trilogy. It's the first three books of a projected ten, not likely to conclude in much under two decades. Fantastic stuff, though.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:07 AM   #2310
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
Hopefully I'll start listening to The New Art of Negotiating tomorrow, once I decide which device to listen to it on. :l

The sooner I listen to it the better 'cause I keep finding myself in compromising positions--being generous to a fault with my time, energy and resources.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations