Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-15-2017, 09:15 PM   #2851
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
The OP should be edited to be 100% clear about that fact. As in replace the links with "go google for _filename_, md5 checksum should be X".
The md5 checksums are:
1) Public (you must not have tried clicking the links).
2)Also attached to the first post.

I suggest that you volunteer to write-up and maintain that write-up for the next JB.
That way it will meet all of your requirements.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:37 PM   #2852
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
The OP should be edited to be 100% clear about that fact. As in replace the links with "go google for _filename_, md5 checksum should be X".
I have started a wiki to mirror this page, so we do not need knc1 to make every change to his first post when something changes.

Please feel free to change the links I have put to his md5 files to the actual text value.

I have already made it so the links to the download file will redirect to google.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak

Anyone who wants to help beautify that is welcome to as well.

Last edited by coplate; 11-15-2017 at 09:43 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #2853
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@knc1: 1) I'm not original poster, you are. 2) I don't need instructions since my PW3 is jailbroaken while on firmware 5.6.5.

And even if that wasn't the case I spent THAT much time on MobileRead forum to have memory of almost all the stages the jailbreaking directions went through, thus I'm perfectly aware of the reasons why those links are now private.

I just stated / observed a fact: if those links are no longer valid and that is the permanent state of things then the whole 'primary, secondary" spoilers need to be removed and replaced with just list of filenames + a notice "go google them / ask the Chinese for a copy /whatever". That will avoid confusion for new users that "land" to MobileRead forums for the first time in their lives, usually by following Google result or any other random place on the internet that links to "the origin of all those things" that is naturally MobileRead. And it will take much less time to do the changes then you personally have to spend your time day after day answering the same set of n00b questions that arise because of that now deprecated spoiler. Maybe those spoilers with link don't even have to be deleted, maybe just adding big red letters stating "link are dead, google alternative" should work as a quick-fix / confusion reducer :d

Gist of it: remove the [problem] expectation that those links should work and endless stream of same-y questions will stop.

Or don't, your time, your choice. Until then I'll continue (when I'm around in appropriate time) to inform "random google user #56465446" what should be done and is not stated in OP instructions.

@coplate: Your work on the wiki is appreciated (as is @knc1's "legacy form").. it's a step in right directions. But this thread's OP should still have at least one last edit that would dump everything in one huge spoiler + add a notice 'this is no longer kept up-to-date, go to this link [the wiki page]"... since all over the internet places will still link back to this thread. Since the thread starter is still very much active on this subforum that is an option we have.

Last edited by shamanNS; 11-15-2017 at 10:16 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:16 AM   #2854
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is no determination that what the situation is now is a permanent state of things.
If it where, I would have changed them.

None of this forum's moderators are active here, why don't you volunteer?
Being a critic is easy, being an effective contributor takes time and effort.
A lot more time and effort than just venting when you are pissed off that things are not done as you would wish.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #2855
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not venting and I'm not pissed off. But yes, I do like being a critic :d But I also consider myself a contributor (in areas I can be of use, which don't include scripting and hunting for jailbreak exploits) to MobileRead's Kindle subforum. If nothing else I periodically serve as "instructions parser for mere mortals" and "let me hunt down that info for your".
Example of contribution:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...79#post3473879

So no, you of all the people (with your always terse, and often confusing / to technical answers) don't get to accuse me of being lazy and not making any effort.

Just comparing your answer ( "(use) LibrarianSync.") and mine from the above example post (where both are answers to question from obviously very very new Kindle owner regarding collections management) makes my case.

To conclude : I've always appreciated your significant contribution to dev side of Kindle enhancement but at the same time don't appreciate your approach, your tone and your "style" of dealing with and answering questions asked by other (less experienced) users, which quite often approaches rudeness. And I see this last post addressed to me to be in the same exact "tradition".

You definitely will not chase me away from this MobileRead subforum with your attitude (after 7+ years here I'm used to everything and everyone) , but I bet you chased away quite a number of first time users.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:14 PM   #2856
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I'm not venting and I'm not pissed off. But yes, I do like being a critic :d But I also consider myself a contributor (in areas I can be of use, which don't include scripting and hunting for jailbreak exploits) to MobileRead's Kindle subforum. If nothing else I periodically serve as "instructions parser for mere mortals" and "let me hunt down that info for your".
Example of contribution:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...79#post3473879

So no, you of all the people (with your always terse, and often confusing / to technical answers) don't get to accuse me of being lazy and not making any effort.

Just comparing your answer ( "(use) LibrarianSync.") and mine from the above example post (where both are answers to question from obviously very very new Kindle owner regarding collections management) makes my case.

To conclude : I've always appreciated your significant contribution to dev side of Kindle enhancement but at the same time don't appreciate your approach, your tone and your "style" of dealing with and answering questions asked by other (less experienced) users, which quite often approaches rudeness. And I see this last post addressed to me to be in the same exact "tradition".

You definitely will not chase me away from this MobileRead subforum with your attitude (after 7+ years here I'm used to everything and everyone) , but I bet you chased away quite a number of first time users.
I shall ask nicely.
Would you like to mod this sub-forum? If so then please let one of the green guys know.
That would be a great help.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #2857
shamanNS
Guru

Sorry, but I can't. Aside from the fact that I live in a significantly different time-zone than primary user groups (US people) here on MobileRead I also have some health issues that limit my daily "PC & keyboard time" thus I don't think it would be fair to assume a responsibility I know in advance I can't keep up with. And frankly speaking I don't need the extra stress

With that said I'll still try to help by answering question whenever I'm able.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #2858
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Sorry, but I can't. Aside from the fact that I live in a significantly different time-zone than primary user groups (US people) here on MobileRead I also have some health issues that limit my daily "PC & keyboard time" thus I don't think it would be fair to assume a responsibility I know in advance I can't keep up with. And frankly speaking I don't need the extra stress

With that said I'll still try to help by answering question whenever I'm able.
Aside from the fact that most posters here (in this forum) do not live in the US, but Asia, I understand the rest of your reasoning.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #2859
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
what a great resource you guys have here. thanks for your hard work. i guess i'll have to check in from time to time.

unfortunately, the refurbished KOA1 i received from Amazon was already updated to the latest 5.8.11. i

hope someone clever figures out how to jailbreak the later versions of firmware (or allows me to downgrade so i can do the jailbreak) at some point. for me, i would just enjoy putting up my own screen saver images.
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #2860
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
what a great resource you guys have here. thanks for your hard work. i guess i'll have to check in from time to time.

unfortunately, the refurbished KOA1 i received from Amazon was already updated to the latest 5.8.11. i

hope someone clever figures out how to jailbreak the later versions of firmware (or allows me to downgrade so i can do the jailbreak) at some point. for me, i would just enjoy putting up my own screen saver images.
That may not happen.
Amazon/Lab126 is making it increasingly difficult with each newer device announced.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #2861
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That may not happen.
Amazon/Lab126 is making it increasingly difficult with each newer device announced.
yeah. i'm was guessing that is probably the case. but i'll keep my eye here in case you brilliant folks come up with some solution.
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #2862
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Just for the records a few information:

Yesterday, I've bought a KT3 (G000 K905 xxxx xxxx) in Germany in the current winter sale action (49,- €). It came with the miraculous firmware 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011).

Kept it from the software point of view completely untouched, i.e. I just took it out of the box, selected the language, skipped the WiFi setup (airplane mode), but did not register it with Amazon and also did no factory reset. I was perfectly able to begin the procedure from post #1 with step 4, i.e. UYK with the initial factory build 5.8.0 stored in the root of the user drive. In step 6, I used the latest "nomax" hotfix build (which I believe is the very best for all users; it should be linked in post #1 as default).

In step 7 my friend (I bought the device on his behalf, and just helped him with the jb because he is definitely no computer nerd...) decided to use the latest KT3 firmware 5.8.11 with his now jailbroken device, as he is very interested in the new boldness and font size scaling options. He knows that there will possibly be problems when hitting the "Reset" button, but he promised to be cautious. Everything went fine. Hotfix did its job, jb survived.

And a piece of "nice to know" info, as this is discussed here often:
Both the booklets and the kindlets for KUAL and Vlasoftsoft's launcher etc. still work with the jailbroken 5.8.11, though the KT3 is an 8th genertion Kindle.

Given this experience, I decided for myself finally to upgrade both my jailbroken KT3 and PW3 to 5.8.11 now, though I have - yes really! - only one single AZW3 book on my Kindles (and this is the Amazon Users Guide), thus there is no real need for the new features that only work on AZW3 and KF8 format. (BTW: I'm definitely a customer, Amazon hates, as I have never bought a single book from them - just using their Kindles as a perfect and reliable hardware platform to read PD classics and DRM-free MOBIs from other sources. My Amazon account is used only for testing purposes. )

Hope, this info might be of interest for some of you.
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #2863
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Well it might be in the thread's 1919 posts somewhere, but that's contrary to the instructions in step zero of the first post.
Well that's the real problem with post #1: It simply tries to cover any and every case. The result is then becoming more and more confusing.

IMO every up-to-date and out-of-the-box (i.e. factory new; not refurbished) Kindle now regularly selling (i.e., 7th generation and up, beginning with PW3) does not need to be registered with Amazon first, as the menu entry UYK is present already after the first boot and skipping WiFi setup, thus leaving the device in airplane mode. If it comes with one of the jb'able firmwares (below 5.8.8; and the one very special 5.8.9.0.1), you may well start directly with step 4 and all is fine. Of course there are also neither parental settings then, nor "special offers" to deal with (as the divice - as told - never was registered with Amazon). Jailbreaking such virgin Kindles is comparatively easy and real fun.

A side remark/educated guess: I speculated about the "why" of this special 5.8.9.0.1 firmware version that can be found on many brand new Kindles, and which accepts the special "FB02" archive type for a first full downgrade to the initial factory build. I believe to have found out what's the possible background. It seems not to be a bug (or otherwise was happening to Amazon in error), but a feature.

Keep in mind that the voice files for audiobooks and the screen reader are now available in English only. Maybe, Amazon is working also on other languages to be released by default with the new KOA2 und up (probably beginning next year), and then these additional languages are also to be backported to older devices too (generation 7 and 8). Therefore, the manufacturer currently produces special "OEM" Kindles that allow the "FB02" downgrade procedure (the fabulous fw 5.8.9.0.1 ). At least this is possible once, before the first user firmware update. Then these "raw" OEM Kindles are delivered to local Amazon branches which do the last step when pre-registering/personalizing online ordered Kindles: They then additionally install the relevant local lanuage file before sending the device to the customer. (Because of the limited memory - given the standard 4 GB Kindles - it's not possible to have more than two different languages the same time on a device as they require roundabout 150 MB each.)

Just my 0,02 $ ...
Old 11-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #2864
knc1
Going Viral

Sounds like a reasonable guess.
Ship the device that allows FB02 package type (the VoiceView packages AND the factory packages), have retailer setup as required, let them lock down with the first update.

The only problem then is logistical, manage the inventory properly so you have enough 'locked down' models to ship to Amazon direct customers.
If you run short, then you have to fill in the demand with the 'retail sale' devices and hope nobody at Mobileread notices.

That may be the same story with the KOA2 -
Some yahoo @ Amazon did not imagine that we would have a "factory" package for the KOA2 November 1st.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:54 AM   #2865
Antinoos
Groupie

Well, I wasn't thinking about local retailers (which here in Good Ol' Germany sell lots of Kindles, as buying things the old fashioned way in local stores/malls is still more popular than ordering online and then waiting days long for the parcel service, who is most often coming just when there is nobody at home, and then you have to go to the post office - may be miles away... - the next day to finally get your parcel... ).

I know that Amazon "personalizes" Kindles sold directly by them. Just these will likely get the additonal language as part of this procedure. This of course requires to physically touch the Kindle anyway, can't be done when already in the box. It will also possibly get the latest firmware, and the "direct Amazon" customer is out of luck regarding jb then...

Local retailers - or Kindles bought as presents via Amazon - have the jb'able OEM firmware. Possibly, Amazon will change the updating procedure in the future: They then may check the user's language setting first, then sending in a first step the appropriate VoiceView FB02 file, let this install, and in a next step send the latest user firmware right afterwards, to finally lock the jailbreakability down. That could be why the auto-update procedure in latest firmwares got more and more aggressive - only freaks reading MobileRead Forum would know that keeping a device, bought in a "free" store, in airplane mode right out of the box gives the owner a real chance to jailbreaking it...

Last edited by Antinoos; 11-25-2017 at 07:05 AM.