Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
jamesewood
jamesewood began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Exclamation Scientific American recipe broken (?)

Hi... I recently began using Calibre (amazing software) for creating ePub newsfeeds for download to a new (4th Gen) iPod Touch.

All was OK until yesterday, when the built-in Scientific American recipe seemed to have stopped working. I'm guessing SA recently changed their site, causing the problem. I've tried to modify the Python code, but not being a programmer, have not had much luck.

Any chance for an update?

Thanks,
Jim Wood.
jamesewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
since the sci am now requires a subscription to access content you will have to PM me your username and password as I dont subscribe
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
jamesewood
jamesewood began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
since the sci am now requires a subscription to access content you will have to PM me your username and password as I dont subscribe
Hi and thanks for your speedy reply.

I checked again and the RSS feeds (see: http://www.scientificamerican.com/page.cfm?section=rss) all still seem to be free and don't require a subscription.

I actually managed to modify the Python code so that I can retrieve the desired articles (along with the linked web content) but I end up with several pages of site links and other stuff at the top of each article. I've tried some of the techniques described on your website to delete this material, but I guess I'm not handy enough with Python (yet) make it work.

Attached is the code I'm using as well as the epub book it creates.

Thanks again,
Jim Wood.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Jim's SciAm Recipe-2.txt (723 Bytes, 226 views)
File Type: epub Scientific American (Jim) [23 Sep 2010] - calibre.epub (590.1 KB, 291 views)
jamesewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the feeds just link to the same partial articles.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesewood View Post
All was OK until yesterday, when the built-in Scientific American recipe seemed to have stopped working. I'm guessing SA recently changed their site, causing the problem.
I took a quick look. I agree, it appears to have changed, and the links just go to the partial articles.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert