Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
Author to reader market should be direct. All those middlemen and -women are excited about grabbing their peddling agent's position and cashing the surcharge. This is what publishers used to live on during the paper era, and this is where the readers nust cut them loose in the ebook era. Why should we all be happy for some schmuck who managed to build up a network of connections to grab rights and entice ebook readers to pay them? Buy direct! Buy from owner -- the author! Hopefully the ebook revolution will send those agents home, finally, and increase authors' pay and lower the prices.

What would you suggest in the case of someone who is DEAD?

On another note, philosophically I disagree with you. It should be the author's choice on how he decides to sell his work - whether direct or through the assistance of an agent.

By the way, no one is forcing anyone to buy anything.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
braver
Enthusiast
braver has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Amazon Kindle DX
Dead, buy from the copyright holders -- usually the estate. Not from agents.

By grabbing the rights, the parasitic middlemen force the readers to buy them. Generally, copyright for the dead authors' book should expire... rather quickly.
Yet don't use this special case to divert attention from the premise -- that middlemen in publishing enjoyed a good long ride, and it should be over soon.
braver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #18
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
Author to reader market should be direct. All those middlemen and -women are excited about grabbing their peddling agent's position and cashing the surcharge. This is what publishers used to live on during the paper era, and this is where the readers nust cut them loose in the ebook era. Why should we all be happy for some schmuck who managed to build up a network of connections to grab rights and entice ebook readers to pay them? Buy direct! Buy from owner -- the author! Hopefully the ebook revolution will send those agents home, finally, and increase authors' pay and lower the prices.
Some of the middlemen certainly won't add much value in the future. I think there is a real role for people who can identify and promote great writing though. My time is limited, and when I settle down with a new book, I want to know it's going to be worth reading. I am prepared to pay for that.

Just my two cents worth

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #19
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
Some of the middlemen certainly won't add much value in the future. I think there is a real role for people who can identify and promote great writing though. My time is limited, and when I settle down with a new book, I want to know it's going to be worth reading. I am prepared to pay for that.
Exactly. The majority of people who think that they can write-- can't. Most self-published fiction I've seen is absolutely horrible, and didn't come through a major publisher for a reason.

Let someone else deal with the slushpile.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
I heard Friedman at an online conference yesterday. Apparently she's going with a no/low advance, high royalty plan for authors. Also they plan on releasing a self-publishing platform, and POD services for all of their books. No word on DRM.
They're also going to be releasing books by new authors.
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #21
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Exactly. The majority of people who think that they can write-- can't. Most self-published fiction I've seen is absolutely horrible, and didn't come through a major publisher for a reason.

Let someone else deal with the slushpile.
Heh, that's certainly true. Editors definitely do add value, whether it's by weeding out the rubbish or by providing an essential external viewpoint and opinion. Many authors have benefitted immensely from having a good editor.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote