Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
nyaobe
Confused E-book Buyer
nyaobe began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad Book or V2 Ed. (hopefully)
Exclamation Thinking on buying an iLiad

Since I read books/novels and also read pdfs and textbooks, I have this dilemma on what e-book reader to buy since almost all kinds of books is what I really need and want to read. And also, if possible, have a wi-fi that I can access to and check my mail and/or surf the net. I've been thinking of choosing the v2 of iLiad.

So the question is..

1.) is the wifi of iliad v2 only available in the US and EUR and Canada? (like the amazon kindle's whispernet) or can i surf the net using my regular wifi connection? (I am living in the Philippines; Southeast Asia)

2.) what is the most flexible ebook reader that i can buy that supports novels/pdfs/textbooks in a really non-hassle conversion format?

I am really torn. I don't know what to buy.

DeB
nyaobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
WiFi is a world-wide standard - it will work anywhere. You need to install a web browser on the iLiad in order to be able to surf the web, and I'm afraid that it really doesn't work very well. eInk screens are far from ideal when it comes to web sites.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
For pdfs I'd advice the 1000... since the larger screen is something you very likely are going to want.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
nyaobe
Confused E-book Buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
WiFi is a world-wide standard - it will work anywhere. You need to install a web browser on the iLiad in order to be able to surf the web, and I'm afraid that it really doesn't work very well. eInk screens are far from ideal when it comes to web sites.
If I install a web browser, would it end my warranty with iRex?

so much!

DeB
Old 03-08-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
nyaobe
Confused E-book Buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
For pdfs I'd advice the 1000... since the larger screen is something you very likely are going to want.
Does it support major formats for textbooks/novels?

DeB
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 03:25 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are several 3rd party web browsers for the iLiad, see Iliad Software. However, I agree with HarryT that these browsers are not suitable for more than occasional use. The browsers should not effect your warranty.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:18 AM   #7
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
If 3rd party software makes your iLiad unusable, you're not covered by the warranty if you're unable to reflash it successfully and have to return it to iRex for the operating system to be restored.

This is unlikely, but its possible. See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=337695.

You'd still be covered by iRex's 12 month hardware warranty for a new iLiad if you load 3rd party software.

I read novels/pdfs/textbooks on my iLiad. For a list of formats supported, see The famous eBook Reader Matrix in our wiki at:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
alxwang
Connoisseur
alxwang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PocketBook 360
I also have a question:
iLiad Book edition does not have wifi. So how can I connect it to network? I need it connect to network so I can install 3rd party software.
Thanks.
alxwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxwang View Post
I also have a question:
iLiad Book edition does not have wifi. So how can I connect it to network? I need it connect to network so I can install 3rd party software.
Thanks.
The Book Edition has a wired network connection, just not a wifi one.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
Evi1d33d
Enthusiast
Evi1d33d began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-505
I'm thinking of getting an iliad for college. It has a big enough screen for textbook scans so I don't have to lug my books around. It can also be used for note taking. Wifi is useless since I doubt it'll support WPA2 Enterprise.

I'll probably try to get one used for less $350 somewhere.
Evi1d33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
nhimclc
nhimclc began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am in a confusing situation too and would appreciate advices to help me out. I'm a graduate student and have tons of reading. The problem is I am going to the field to do research for a year and would not be able to access to the library. I cannot bring many of my books with me either. I am thinking of scanning some books in pdf form (2 pages of the book into one page in pdf files) and getting a reader to read these pdf files. The ereader must have a stylus because I need to highlight and write when I read. So I hope you will give me some advice in choosing which Irex reader will be best for me.
The Irex Iliad is cheaper than the DR, but the DR is bigger and more comfortable to read. I would rather go with the Iliad unless it is very uncomfortable to read hundreds of pages a day on a 8 inch screen.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
nhimclc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
If you use a smaller screen, it's better to read one page at a time as opposed a 2-page spread.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #13
herbalist
Enthusiast
herbalist began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 770, Irex Iliad
If your books are huge letter size, then probably the DR is better. However, if they are mostly A5 size, then the iliad is probably good enough. When you prepare the scans, it is better to so page by page and crop the margins. (of course, you may want to leave some space if you need to annotate...) Since the iliad will read everything into its memory before it opens the file, make sure u prepare the pdf files in smaller chunks (e.g. 50 mb or so), it will save you some time. But the caveat here is that 1) iliad v2 lasts 14-15 hr per charge 2) no more official firmware upgrades from Irex...

Last edited by herbalist; 04-18-2009 at 09:26 PM.
herbalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #14
nhimclc
nhimclc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks a lot for the advice. I am considering between the Iliad first generation and the Iliad book edition because of the cost. Which one should I get? Is there a real difference beside the Wi-fi? Thanks.
nhimclc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhimclc View Post
I am considering between the Iliad first generation and the Iliad book edition because of the cost.
The original iLiad had a smaller battery than the 2nd Edition, and there were some devices sold under other names that can't get software updates from iRex (so make sure it is really an iLiad). The only significant difference between the 2nd Edition and the Book Edition is WiFi.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote