Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
mokeiko
Enthusiast
mokeiko has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle DX | PRS-900 | PRS-950 | DPT-S1 | Kindle Oasis
Deal or no Deal

Hi all,

I would like to know your opinion on something. If you found an ebook that you wanted and the cheapest price you could get it for would be $4.00 less but in .Lrf (Sony) format, would you purchase it? This is assuming you have a Sony reader and also tv ebook would be avaliable in all other formats. Does buying the more expensive format and stripping the DRM and converting to .Lrf format worth spending $4.00 more? This may be a rare case since Sony's ebook prices may be higher on average. But what if it was 5 to 10 books and I would be able to save on average $10 to $40 for the .Lrf format, would you still purchase it?

mokeiko
mokeiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Yes, it is worth paying extra for a format that can be deDRMed. The only way to guarantee that you will be able to keep and reuse a DRMed ebook is removing the DRM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
It is certainly not a simple yes/no answer. It really depends. How much do I really need to read that book RIGHT NOW. The answer is usually, I don't need to read it right now. There are plenty of other choices. So, I can wait.

That said, it is not very often that they Sony price is so much better. As a matter of fact, I have paid a bit more for some books from the Kindle store rather than the publisher because I like the idea of my ebooks being stored in my online media library. as a matter of fact, I would even pay Amazon to allow me to store ebooks I have acquired elsewhere in my media library.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:09 AM   #4
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
There are two Star Trek books (and a third I anticipate will be out Tuesday) that I could get at Sony but I'm impatiently waiting to be released in LIT format. I gave up waiting for the third (that came out in November!) in the ST: Destiny series that still isn't in LIT because I HAD to finish the series.

I like the option to adjust the margins and add covers to books that don't come with the official covers. For me it's a far cry from where I was a year ago without a clue how to convert and fine tune LIT purchases.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
The answer is "Sometimes".

I've spent more for books from Sony store when it was a new release and I needed it NOW and just couldn't wait for the day or two it would take Fictionwise to get it.

For the most part I would spend more to get it in a format to DE-DRM it though. What if I don't have a Sony reader in the future and want to re-read?
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
mokeiko
Enthusiast
mokeiko has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle DX | PRS-900 | PRS-950 | DPT-S1 | Kindle Oasis
Please delete

Last edited by mokeiko; 01-26-2009 at 08:48 PM.
mokeiko is offline   Reply With Quote