Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
Speed of on-board storage vs. MicroSD

Currently, I have my H2O nearly full, with more books stored on a MicroSD card, and navigating the Kobo is quite slow. If I were to remove books from the H2O's on-board storage and have more books stored on the MicroSD card, would this improve the lag I'm experiencing when browsing the Kobo UI—My Books or collections, for example?
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:41 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you are talking sideloaded book, then probably not.

The problem is the covers. For sideloaded books, the device generates covers from the books as needed. That means when you scroll through the book list for the first time, it is generating covers as you go. The cover are cached in memory, so going back and forth over a few pages should be reasonable fast.

But, if the books are on the main storage, the generated cover images are stored on the main memory for reuse later. That means, if the cover images have been generated and have dropped out of the cache, the images are read from the disc and not regenerated from the book. That should be a lot faster.

For sideloaded books on the SD card, the cover images are not saved. This means that they are regenerated each time they are needed and aren't in the cache. So, paging through a list of books on the SD card will probably be slower than for the main memory.

If you are using calibre, you can alleviate this. The device will use any cover images it finds on the SD card. The driver can generate and send the cover images for both the main memory and SD card. If you already have the books on the device, my Kobo Utilities plugin can generate and send the covers to the device.

Note: All that ignores the possibility that the SD card is faster than the main memory. Or that splitting the IO between the main memory and SD card should help the performance.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert