Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-29-2017, 11:46 PM   #16
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
With a few exceptions, and this was one of the exceptions, I'm also not fond of series. But worse than that is when the author dies and someone else continues the series. I really hate that. It feels like cheating and I feel like the intended victim.

It would be different if they did it more honestly. If they either left off the original author's name, or put it in very small text, but they make it look like that author wrote it until you look closely.

I think this is cheating and I think it's done this way in order to make the cheating as effective as possible.

In general I'm against the death penalty but I'm not sure it would be wrong to make exceptions for publishers.

Barry
I agree! When my Fav Author died hes son took over. Instead of Title with His Name Now every books is Dick Francis ...this & that Why not say Book Name Author Name Why bring Dead Dads Name in it....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:06 AM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I agree! When my Fav Author died hes son took over. Instead of Title with His Name Now every books is Dick Francis ...this & that Why not say Book Name Author Name Why bring Dead Dads Name in it....
Because dead dad sells. New author not so much in most cases.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2017, 12:07 AM   #18
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Because dead dad sells. New author not so much in most cases.
TRUE! Or not enough guts to try to make it on his own.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:10 AM   #19
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
TRUE! Or not enough guts to try to make it on his own.
Very true. I tend to not read big name+ little name. Especially if big name has no say anymore.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:27 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
But, that started before Dick Francis died. The last few books before he died had both names on them. The books since his death are a mix of attributions, so the son might be finishing books from his fathers notes. And at least one is a sequel.

As to Sue Grafton, it's sad to hear, and a pity that she didn't get to Z. I've read the first two or three. I read one of them while my wife was in hospital with our first son. It was one of the books she packed to take with her (yes, she packed books to read while giving birth). From memory, I ended up reading it to her to try and calm her. And it was exactly as successful as you would expect (I still remember the looks she gave me). That is not a comment on the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2017, 03:03 AM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, that started before Dick Francis died. The last few books before he died had both names on them. The books since his death are a mix of attributions, so the son might be finishing books from his fathers notes. And at least one is a sequel.

And didn't Frank Herbert's son also do something similar with the Dune books? Granted he puts his own name on them under the "Frank Herbert's Dune" title but he did continue from where his father left off. The Wheel of Time books I believe were finished by someone else after the original author died as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:42 AM   #22
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
this was very sad news. my thoughts go out to her and to her family.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:32 AM   #23
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
May she rest in peace! Her B Is for Burglar and C Is for Corpse are still fresh in my memory, excellent books. Its unfortunate that we will never read Z is for Zero.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:28 AM   #24
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

As to Sue Grafton, it's sad to hear, and a pity that she didn't get to Z. I've read the first two or three. I read one of them while my wife was in hospital with our first son. It was one of the books she packed to take with her (yes, she packed books to read while giving birth). From memory, I ended up reading it to her to try and calm her. And it was exactly as successful as you would expect (I still remember the looks she gave me). That is not a comment on the book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
And didn't Frank Herbert's son also do something similar with the Dune books? Granted he puts his own name on them under the "Frank Herbert's Dune" title but he did continue from where his father left off. The Wheel of Time books I believe were finished by someone else after the original author died as well.
W.E.B. Griffin's son, William E. Butterworth IV has been listed as coauthor since 2015.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:07 PM   #25
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Very sad to hear about Sue Grafton. I just finished listening to "Y is for Yesterday"--and found it excellent. I always enjoyed the Kinsey Milhone books in audio with Judy Kaye as narrator.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #26
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Such a shame.

I've read the lot, so never finding out how she would have let Kinsey walk off into the sunset is a travesty.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #27
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Actually the last three or four have been published only under Felix's name in the headline slot, at least here in the UK (admittedly with small print at the bottom "A Dick Francis Novel").

Last edited by orlok; 12-30-2017 at 01:13 PM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

The last book title is fitting because there will be zero z books.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #29
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Very sad to hear about Sue Grafton. I just finished listening to "Y is for Yesterday"--and found it excellent. I always enjoyed the Kinsey Milhone books in audio with Judy Kaye as narrator.
Ditto. These books are my favorite as audiobooks, and always the ones I recommend first to people who think they might like to try listening to audiobooks while driving, where one needs to prioritize attention to the road. Not too many characters to remember, lots of description, and not too fast-moving.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #30
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Very true. I tend to not read big name+ little name. Especially if big name has no say anymore.
I tend to pass on any book where the author's name is featured in "the next coming" type and the book's title is only present as what seems to be an afterthought.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote