Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2017, 04:38 AM   #391
khl
khl began at the beginning.

Device: Aura One
The default dictionary (dicthtml) able to lookup "bopping" and show the definition of "bop". However, there is no similar feature in the custom dictionary.
Is there anything missing? Is there any option to turn on this feature such as tweaking the index.txt/words?

Regards,
KH
khl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:47 AM   #392
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by khl View Post
The default dictionary (dicthtml) able to lookup "bopping" and show the definition of "bop". However, there is no similar feature in the custom dictionary.
Is there anything missing? Is there any option to turn on this feature such as tweaking the index.txt/words?

Regards,
KH
Which custom dictionary?
Dictionaries don't have the same vocabulary, see if there is a translation to the word "bopping" in custom dictionary, search icon > dictionary.

Last edited by oren64; 12-27-2017 at 02:56 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2017, 04:06 AM   #393
alt10
alt10 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Romanian dict (GPL license; https://wiki.dexonline.ro/wiki/Manif...te_liber.C4.83)
dicthtml-ro.zip
alt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #394
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by khl View Post

Regards,
KH
The problem is that we cannot be sure what the code from Kobo does when it attempts to match a selected word against a dictionary, since the source code is not available. I speculate that for certain languages the Kobo performs some sort of stemming (i.e., from inflected/conjugated form to the stem, i.e. the lexical root), but this is a very language-dependent operation. Alternatively, the official Kobo dictionaries contain a lot of keywords pointing to the same definitions.

The latter is also the way you can try to reproduce this feature in custom dictionary: just create many different entries for the same word definition, with all the possible inflected/conjugated keywords. Depending on the language, this might blow the size up considerably. (For example in Italian this operation usually yields x10 size w.r.t. the usual dictionary convention of listing only the infinite for verbs, and the male singular for nouns and adjectives.) There is no such function in Penelope, you need to create such "extended" dictionary yourself, with other means. There are several Python NLP libraries that might help, depending on the language you want to work with.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #395
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Dictionaries' merging

Hi guys. Can you merge these kobo dictionaries so that the pop-up definition shows them in this order? (possibly condensed)

1) the En-En one [only the phonetic signs]
2) the en-it one
3) wiktionary

Presently I'm jumping among the three dictionary to find the words.
I squeezed my mind to try install and use penelope without success

1000 thanks
Giuseppe

ioses_@libero.it
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-it.zip (731.9 KB, 322 views)
File Type: zip dicthtmlWIKTIONARY.zip (17.96 MB, 364 views)

Last edited by Owl_; 02-09-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2018, 07:47 AM   #396
Maida
Enthusiast
Maida began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt10 View Post
Unfortunately, Kobo can only use dictionaries in the languages it supports. Romanian is not included. My suggestion is to change the ending -ro to another language you do not use, and also change the book language (easiest way in calibre) to that language. I myself used Italian as a language replacement for Romanian and use the dex with the ending -it.
Maida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #397
Leyns
Leyns began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Hi,
I searched for an English-French dictionary on the internet but I only have these in stardict format.
Could someone turn them into dictionaries for Kobo?

Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: zip English_French.zip (5.34 MB, 339 views)
File Type: zip French_English_diction.zip (3.33 MB, 353 views)
Leyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #398
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maida View Post
Unfortunately, Kobo can only use dictionaries in the languages it supports. Romanian is not included. My suggestion is to change the ending -ro to another language you do not use, and also change the book language (easiest way in calibre) to that language. I myself used Italian as a language replacement for Romanian and use the dex with the ending -it.
Search in the developers' forum on how to install dictionaries of languages different from the supported ones, with their own extensions.

Last edited by tshering; 01-23-2018 at 01:47 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:13 AM   #399
sadowski
Connoisseur
sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, Kobo mini, PB mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
The problem is that we cannot be sure what the code from Kobo does when it attempts to match a selected word against a dictionary, since the source code is not available. I speculate that for certain languages the Kobo performs some sort of stemming (i.e., from inflected/conjugated form to the stem, i.e. the lexical root), but this is a very language-dependent operation.
I know that this is not really helpful in this case, but just to underline how much we are in the hands of the hardware vendors: The only ereaders I have found to do this properly are PocketBooks. There you can supply stemming rules alongside with custom dictionaries, even if the language in question is not supported by default.

This is the major reason why I ended up mostly reading on PocketBooks nowadays, giving up my Kobos and Sonys, as I read a lot in languages not officially supported by them.

/Jens
sadowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:04 AM   #400
albar
albar began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Hi,
Sorry to bother you, I am trying to install an English-Indonesian dictionary on a KOBO e.reader.

I already have all the different files in .ifo, . Idx.gz, .idx.
I have followed all the instructions I found in different sites such as

http://sweetpepperspray.blogspot.it/...s-to-kobo.html

and https://github.com/pettarin/penelope

downloaded penelope, python and marisa, read the different threads on this forum, it’s all unfortunately too complicated for me.

What I’m really looking for is someone who could convert these files into the proper dicthtml format, for a fee of course.

Can you help ?

Best regards and many thanks.
albar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #401
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Hi guys. Can you merge these kobo dictionaries so that the pop-up definition shows them in this order? (possibly condensed)

1) the En-En one [only the phonetic signs]
2) the en-it one
3) wiktionary

Presently I'm jumping among the three dictionary to find the words.
I squeezed my mind to try install and use penelope without success

1000 thanks
Giuseppe

ioses_@libero.it
It can be done but not with the files you posted dicthtml, you need files like stardict or GBL.

Maybe you can find the dictionaries here.

Last edited by oren64; 01-28-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #402
oren64
I need a chapter break

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyns View Post
Hi,
I searched for an English-French dictionary on the internet but I only have these in stardict format.
Could someone turn them into dictionaries for Kobo?

Thank you

English-French dictionary.
French-English dictionary.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-fr.zip (8.28 MB, 910 views)
File Type: zip dicthtml-fr-en.zip (5.94 MB, 1097 views)
Old 01-28-2018, 08:53 AM   #403
oren64
I need a chapter break

Quote:
Originally Posted by albar View Post
Hi,
Sorry to bother you, I am trying to install an English-Indonesian dictionary on a KOBO e.reader.

I already have all the different files in .ifo, . Idx.gz, .idx.
I have followed all the instructions I found in different sites such as

http://sweetpepperspray.blogspot.it/...s-to-kobo.html

and https://github.com/pettarin/penelope

downloaded penelope, python and marisa, read the different threads on this forum, it’s all unfortunately too complicated for me.

What I’m really looking for is someone who could convert these files into the proper dicthtml format, for a fee of course.

Can you help ?

Best regards and many thanks.

English-Indonesian.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-in.zip (2.08 MB, 583 views)
Old 01-29-2018, 04:18 AM   #404
albar
albar began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
English-Indonesian.
Hi, Oren64, you made my day thanks a lot.

Would you also have the in-en one ?
albar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:03 AM   #405
oren64
I need a chapter break

Quote:
Originally Posted by albar View Post
Hi, Oren64, you made my day thanks a lot.

Would you also have the in-en one ?
Indonesian-English dictionary.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-in-en.zip (1.34 MB, 523 views)

Tags
kobo dictionaries