Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #151
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What would be the point, given that it won't work?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #152
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
>HarryT: maybe he can go back 1 version - I have not seen confirmation that 1.9 no longer works.

> my lost book issue: it occurred again today - new purchase downloaded then vanished, so I tried one of the simple earlier suggestions. I simply closed K4PC then re-opened it. Much to my surprise the new book was then present. that is good as it means the bug is less severe than I thought & I don't need to toggle registration to fix it.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #153
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

update: I emailed amazon re the above "vanishing book" & they asked me to talk to them - so I had a long phone discussion with a techie. NO solution found but I made them aware of "solutions" from this thread & they asked me to keep a log of all books purchased + success or fail with downloads in the hope of finding a pattern. they are also keeping in internal "ticket number" and are able to access my glitches history from my email address which is good.

the lady did confirm that having multiple installs, or remnants of old installs on your PC can cause problems, and that it can be hard to find all the leftovers.

so I would encourage anyone with software glitches to contact them - the more feedback they get the more likely they are to find something to fix
Old 10-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #154
cybmole
Wizard

update: I emailed amazon re the above "vanishing book" & they asked me to talk to them - so I had a long phone discussion with a techie. NO solution found but I made them aware of "solutions" from this thread & they asked me to keep a log of all books purchased + success or fail with downloads in the hope of finding a pattern. they are also keeping in internal "ticket number" and are able to access my glitches history from my email address which is good.

the lady did confirm that having multiple installs, or remnants of old installs on your PC can cause problems, and that it can be hard to find all the leftovers.

so I would encourage anyone with software glitches to contact them - the more feedback they get the more likely they are to find something to fix
Old 10-04-2012, 01:59 AM   #155
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
>HarryT: maybe he can go back 1 version - I have not seen confirmation that 1.9 no longer works.
All pre-v10 versions stopped working in July, hence no point in looking for an earlier version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #156
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All pre-v10 versions stopped working in July, hence no point in looking for an earlier version.
yes I raised that issue when talking to the Amazon techie - she said it was a deliberate policy change, not an accident. Easier to support only one version.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #157
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Well, I'll give an update on the situation I was having. If you remember me, I was unable to start Kindle for PC on my desktop, but when I downloaded and installed it on my wife's computer it worked fine. Knowing that meant there was something wrong with my computer didn't help because I could not figure out what it was after trying all the suggestions here and at Amazon's forum. So, over the weekend I borrowed my wife's laptop long enough to copy over the AZW files to a flash drive to load them on my computer and run them through calibre to read on my Kobo. Just for the heck of it, after I copied the files to my desktop I double clicked on one of the files and wouldn't you know it, Kindle for PC started right up like it had never had a problem.

Now it wouldn't open the file, gave me an error message and then stated that my installation was not registered to an account. So, off I went to amazon, reregistered my Kindle for PC application to my account, which it now calls My Kindle for PC 2, and it proceeded to download every book I had gotten from Amazon. Several days later, and it still works.

I have no idea if this will help anyone else, but it worked for me.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #158
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
I have no problems running K4PC if I set the date before July before opening the program. Once opened just set the date back to normal. The date has to be correct when downloading books in Kindle otherwise it errors.

I've had no problems removing the shackles on recent eBooks I've bought recently.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #159
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangornUK View Post
I have no problems running K4PC if I set the date before July before opening the program. Once opened just set the date back to normal. The date has to be correct when downloading books in Kindle otherwise it errors.

I've had no problems removing the shackles on recent eBooks I've bought recently.
that is a really horrible work-around.
messing with PC system date like that is a disaster waiting to happen - what if windows decides to do some date/time dependent background maintenance while you are faffing around with you obsolete version... or there's a power failure before you can reset the date & then your system won't boot properly... unlikely but why risk it at all ?