Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-31-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Exclamation Free (Kindle DRM-free) Northern Frights by Arthur Slade [Canadian Kids Fantasy] +KDP

Some rather pleasant stuff in today's KDP Select exclusive-or-else slushpile today.

We have a fairly high proportion of actually previously-published stuff, along with the established author self-pubs. There's plenty of thrillers and some very nice award-nominees for the horror fans, and even a vintage Biblical novel for the old-school Christian fiction readers.

But best of all, we get a mashup of Stuff I Find Relevant To My Interests with a veritable hat trick of Canadian-written-and-set mythology-based supernatural/fantasies written by another winner of our prestigious national Governor General's Award for Children's Literature (this, however, is not the award-winning book). It's even got a bonus trip to Iceland, which is like, my favourite non-Canadian country!

Northern Frights (Omnibus) by Arthur Slade is a collected trilogy of spooky Norse-mythology based older kids' (School Library Journal review gave it a grade range of 6-9)/YA supernatural fantasy/creepy adventure tales originally published between 1997 and 2001 by local small press Orca Book Publishers.

Slade (Wikipedia entry) would later go on to win the GG award for kidlit in 2001 with his later novel Dust, which is sporadically freebied (non-KDP) to US and UK-resident Amazonians (not available to Canadians).

Free without DRM for who knows how long @ Amazon main UK DE ES FR IT

Description
This omnibus collects all three Northern Frights novels into one. Over 500 pages of fright, action and adventure for young adults and those who are young at heart.

DRAUGR

"Are you afraid of the dead?" her grandfather asked.

Sarah Asmundson will discover the answer to that question. She is prepared for her grandfather's scary stories, but is anything but prepared when events from the story about a draugr--a man who comes back from the dead--begin to happen around her. A tale to frighten and entertain the young and the young at heart. The first book in the Northern Frights series.

THE HAUNTING OF DRANG ISLAND

"If you're going to die, die with your boots on. That's what my Grandpa Thursten used to say."

When Michael and his father arrive on Drang Island for a camping trip, they find that all the rumors they've heard are true. The island is desolate, sparsely populated and far from civilization. It seems the perfect place for Michael's father to finish the last chapters of his book of Norse stories. Unfortunately, it soon becomes apparent that some of the other rumors they've heard about Drang Island -- stories about spirits, strange sacrifices and a serpent lurking in the ocean -- might also be true!

THE LOKI WOLF

"On the third night the worst nightmare -- the very worst -- invaded my mind. Loping behind me was a gigantic wolf, its jaws snapping together and tearing off pieces of my flesh. There was no blood. No pain. But bit by bit he swallowed chunks of my body until nothing of Angela Laxness remained."

When Angie dreams about being devoured by a giant wolf, her parents tell her it is only her imagination. But later, while on a vacation in Iceland with her grandfather and two cousins, she begins to wonder if the dream wasn't a warning. First, there are strange scratches outside her window. Then she finds out that sheep have recently been disappearing from her uncle's farm. But it isn't until she and her cousins go to the old croft house that they discover the horrifying truth.

Previously-featured Star Wars tie-in novel writer Dave Wolverton who also writes fantasy as David Farland offers another story under the latter name, which appears to be the War of the Worlds as seen from Jack London's viewpoint: After a Lean Winter

Previously-featured Marion Zimmer Bradley's Fantasy Magazine-published Phoenix Sullivan returns with a multi-author anthology of sf/fantasy stories about the past affecting the present: Extinct Doesn't Mean Forever It seems like some of these stories and perhaps more are also being freebied under her Steel Magnolia Press and Dare to Dream Press imprints, which have rather nice-looking congruently themed covers.

She also repeats her near-future biomedical thriller if you missed it earlier: Sector C

Donna Huston Murray offers her cozy-looking 1995 St. Martin's Press-paperbacked: THE MAIN LINE IS MURDER (The Ginger Barnes Main Line Mysteries)

Previously-featured Samhain-published Canadian erotic romance writer Jade Buchanan offers a story involving what looks like swinging and f/f experimentation: The Boardroom

Emma Holly, who was one of the authors featured during All Romance eBooks annual Xmas giveaway countdown and has been published with one of the major houses I can't be bothered to look up right now, offers her yanked-from-everywhere-else ARE countdown freebie which some of you may remember from this December, the werewolf cop erotic romance: Hidden Talents (Hidden series)

Previously featured Robert W. Walker offers both the 1st and the 2nd in his Jessica Coran Forensic Pathologist thriller series, both previously paperbacked by regular series publisher Jove in 1995 after being picked up from their earlier Diamond publication: Killer Instinct (aka By Instinct Alone) andFatal Instinct

He also offers a self-released historical possibly-supernatural romantic suspense set around the notorious witch trials: Children of Salem And it turns out the 6th Jessica Coran and the 4th in the Edge series are also on offer, though I think that those may be repeats: Extreme Instinct and Final Edge

J.A. Konrath/Jack Kilborn repeats his mystery novel if you missed it earlier: Banana Hammock - A Harry McGlade Mystery (A "Write Your Own Damn Story" Adventure)

Michael Parker offers a missing person leads to global conspiracy thriller published by UK publisher Robert Hale (I have some reprints of their historicals via Belgrave House) in 2010: A Covert War

Previously-featured Edward G. Talbot, who turns out to be the joint pen name of two authors, and has his own ISFDB entry I'm not going to bother linking again, offers a conspiracy thriller: New World Orders

Charles Rosenberg, who says he's been a legal consultant for several law-related TV shows and seems to match up with this IMDB entry for "miscellaneous crew" and also had a book on O.J. Simpson at the height of the murder trial, now turns his hand to fiction with: Death On A High Floor: A Legal Thriller

Bram Stoker award-winning David Niall Wilson, who has written Star Trek tie-in novels among other things (ISFDB entry) offers a collection of short stories: Etched Deep & Other Dark Impressions

Bram Stoker-nominated horror writer Jeff Strand offers the novella: Faint of Heart

D. Harlan Wilson (ISFDB entry) offers a collection of short fiction which is described as "horrifying and hilarious": They Had Goat Heads

Brian James Freeman (ISFDB entry) offers a collection of horror stories: Seven Stories

Previously-featured minor-shorts-listed-on-ISFDB-entry-I'm-not-digging-up-again Erik Williams (the guy who said he needed extra testosterone treatments because he was raising three daughters) offers a few more supernatural/horror pieces: Linkage for all three

William H. Stephens offers a biblical fiction saga featuring Queen Jezebel, originally printed by Christian publisher Tyndale House in 1973: Elijah

Previously-featured Berkley-published Michele Scott aka A.K. Alexander offers some tips for the aspiring author: A Writer's Workshop

Blake Karrington appears to have founded Two of a Kind Publishing, which managed to have one of its small-press books picked up and reprinted by Simon & Schuster's Atria imprint. If you'd like to see if Mr. Karrington has the writing skillz to go with his apparent book-selection abilities, he offers three of his novels (2 co-written) for you to try, in what look like urban fiction, suspense, and maybe-romance genres: Linkage for all three

Christian Cantrell, whose ISFDB entry lists his sole work as being published solely by one "Cantrell Media Company" (rarely a good sign) is nevertheless notable for having had his book "Containment" offered as one of the freebie audiobook selections you could pick when setting up a Tantor Audio Android app account. So in case you got that and wanted to read along, he offers it and a few other shorts: Linkage to pull them all up.

Happy reading, if indeed you manage to spot something you think you might like.

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-31-2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Proper publisher name, and fix obvious typos. The less obvious ones, you'll just have to live with.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Picked up about 20 or so more.

Thank you!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Thanks, looks like a lot of good reading to choose from.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Great choice today. 14 to look at. Thanks so much.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Some rather pleasant stuff in today's KDP Select exclusive-or-else slushpile today.

Christian Cantrell, whose ISFDB entry lists his sole work as being published solely by one "Cantrell Media Company" (rarely a good sign) is nevertheless notable for having had his book "Containment" offered as one of the freebie audiobook selections you could pick when setting up a Tantor Audio Android app account. So in case you got that and wanted to read along, he offers it and a few other shorts: Linkage to pull them all up.

Happy reading, if indeed you manage to spot something you think you might like.
Came across this yesterday, too :-

Containment by Christian Cantrell
Publisher: 47North (July 31, 2012)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services

So popular enough Amazon's Sci-Fi imprint has picked him up

Also a novella that I thought was very good by the same gentleman is now free, too A science fiction assassin spy thriller with a twist. :-

The Epoch Index - Christian Cantrell

The Robert W. Walker Coran books appear to be 1 and 2 - so that is handy!

Thanks!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, and I think Cantrell has some of his stories on his website if you google him and wanted to check it out that way, too.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

For today's serendipity trivia :

Downloading lots of these meant I had bunches of thrillers and crime novels and horror stories come up in my recommendations.

then to switch up downloaded a bunch of favorite public domain stuff. Apparently that completely wrongfooted Amazon's recommendation algorithm so that I then had one thing and one thing only on my list (I have pretty much added everything I have read relatively recently or have as they come up)

And it was

Farmer One, by Christian Cantrell
Old 01-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

And speaking of Mr Walker :-

Extreme Instinct - Robert W. Walker (Jessica Coran 6)
Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Came across this yesterday, too :-

Containment by Christian Cantrell
Publisher: 47North (July 31, 2012)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services

So popular enough Amazon's Sci-Fi imprint has picked him up

Also a novella that I thought was very good by the same gentleman is now free, too A science fiction assassin spy thriller with a twist. :-

The Epoch Index - Christian Cantrell
Thanks for this. I've been seeing Containment popping up on my recommendations in Amazon for the last year and I've always resisted. Now there's no need.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Also read Anansi Island story last night. That was good, so he is well worth a look.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Also on the SF front, long established author William Barton offers :-

A Last War for the Oriflamme (Starover) [Kindle Edition] William Barton