Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 AM   #1081
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
UPDATE: Duokan is installed. But when I BOOT UP the kindle, no option comes for selecting the os. It boots straight to the duokan logo and then to duokan. How to select os on boot? Also where is the music player? I couldnt find it? Thanks for your help, people!
AFAIK this is the way to boot. Actually it is not a big problem since Duokan boots really fast. You can switch to native system via settings>"switch to kindle" option.

if you need Kindle to boot to native system directly either edit the config.ini file as suggested in the first post or disable Duokan with a blank DUOKAN_NO file.

I have no idea about the music player, you can send an email to DuoKan team: kindleuser@duokan.com

BTW: To switch between Kindle and Duokan and enable/disable Duokan you can use the Kual extension.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #1082
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

update

R1.5 released

Updates:
  • multi-level directory support (K3/K4 menu operation by the left and right arrow keys);
  • KT / KP click on the upper right corner to quickly add or delete bookmarks;
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #1083
Firefly243
Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Hi everyone,

I own a Kindle keyboard (Firmware 3.4). Until a few days ago, I used an old version of Duokan lite 2012, which worked relatively fine, except for a few bugs.

So I just read about a 2013 version. I updated my Firmware to 3.4. But then, the most annoying situation happened: I can't install any version of Duokan anymore (which I need for my .epub books). I tried any hints I found on several forums (e.g. to upgrade the firmware to 3.4, then copy the df_systems folder and the three .bin's to the root and update, and so on), but nothing worked.

Do you have any idea, how to get Duokan (any version) on the v. 3.4 to run?

PS: I hope this is the right place to post such problems, as here seem to be the experts.
Firefly243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #1084
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly243 View Post
Hi everyone,

I own a Kindle keyboard (Firmware 3.4). Until a few days ago, I used an old version of Duokan lite 2012, which worked relatively fine, except for a few bugs.

So I just read about a 2013 version. I updated my Firmware to 3.4. But then, the most annoying situation happened: I can't install any version of Duokan anymore (which I need for my .epub books). I tried any hints I found on several forums (e.g. to upgrade the firmware to 3.4, then copy the df_systems folder and the three .bin's to the root and update, and so on), but nothing worked.

1. it's said on the link below that before using the update method renaming documents folder to documents_1 may help. after the installation of the Duokan you can rename it back to documents.
  2. you may try the method2 (with emergency.sh (emergency.rar))

Last edited by thomass; 03-30-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #1085
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
you may also try to install Duokan via Kual using this extension:

(extension uses the emergency.sh script. )
Attached Files
File Type: zip DuokanInstaller.zip (1.2 KB, 5226 views)

Last edited by thomass; 05-21-2013 at 04:11 AM. Reason: updated for KUAL2
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #1086
Firefly243
Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Firefly243 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

I tried the Kual Method too - I saw the update screen, it restarted, then as before, the original Kindle OS starts, without the boot menu. So exactly the same as before...
Old 03-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #1087
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
I tried the Kual Method too - I saw the update screen, it restarted, then as before, the original Kindle OS starts, without the boot menu. So exactly the same as before...
you may try to first
  1. uninstall the jailbreak
  2. try to use the update method
if it fails,
then you may try this:
  1. backup your all files inside documents, extension, etc.. (all files except the default ones will be erased!!)
  2. reset kindle to factory defaults
  3. try to use the regular update method to install duokan
Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #1088
Firefly243

Unfortunately, the same as before, even the factury reset did not work.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #1089
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Unfortunately, the same as before, even the factury reset did not work.
Did you uninstall the Duokan Lite before upgrading Kindle?

OK, two other suggestions:
  1. try to install an earlier version (or even a Duokan Lite version) If you manage to install a version then update it using the method in the first post (overwriting the DK_System then restart)
  2. there is a looong way to install Duokan Lite (and hence(?) Duokan 2013) to Kindle mentioned here Actually AFAIK if you have any version of Duokan installed in your Kindle you can always switch to another using the manual update technique (overwriting the DK_System then restart)

Last edited by thomass; 03-30-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #1090
Firefly243

I did uninstall everything before a new try, (which was also without success, even the described long method) - is there a way to downgrade the firmware, so one can simply copy the 2012 Duokan lite folders to the root and simply reboot into the dual boot menu, without needing to install the .bin files via update like before?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:32 AM   #1091
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
is there a way to downgrade the firmware
you can use Kubrick
Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #1092
thomass
Wizard

update

R1.6 released

Updates:
  • perfect English interface;
  • fix paging cause the machine to restart repeatedly;
Old 04-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #1093
thomass
Wizard

attached a translated version of the latest (R1.6) English.txt

I used the Google Translate, hence there might some defects, wrongly translated parts etc...
Attached Files
File Type: txt English.txt (27.5 KB, 626 views)

Last edited by thomass; 04-12-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: English.txt is updated, thanks to Kobudera
Old 04-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #1094
nguyenhimself
nguyenhimself began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non-Touch
Custom fonts?

So I just installed the latest version on my K4 Non-touch, and it worked great, but one problem: I just can't setup custom English fonts.

I can delete the font files, but copying my own fonts (ttf, ttc,...) into the userfonts folder didn't work at all. They just didn't show up in Doukan.

Would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me out here. Thanks.
nguyenhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #1095
yann.m
yann.m will become famous soon enoughyann.m will become famous soon enoughyann.m will become famous soon enoughyann.m will become famous soon enoughyann.m will become famous soon enoughyann.m will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Mini; Kindle PW Duokan
I just tried adding fonts to the userfonts directory. It works fine.

I added one ttf file per font, removing spaces in the file name and the "Regular" postfix (Times New Roman Regular.ttf becomes TimesNewRoman.ttf).

That worked with the few fonts I tried so far except for Fontin. If anyone has a Fontin.tff that works with Duokan I would be interested.

Last edited by yann.m; 04-08-2013 at 11:37 AM.
yann.m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf