Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
qaplus
qaplus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qaplus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qaplus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Thumbnail view?

Sorry if this is a noob question. I did search this forum first but didn't find the answer.

What I want to do is to show all books in cover thumbnails instead of book title in text. It's easier for me to find a book this way in windows Explorer. I'm wondering if Calibre can be configured to show this view?

Thanks.
qaplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by qaplus View Post
Sorry if this is a noob question. I did search this forum first but didn't find the answer.

What I want to do is to show all books in cover thumbnails instead of book title in text. It's easier for me to find a book this way in windows Explorer. I'm wondering if Calibre can be configured to show this view?

Thanks.
Bad, Bad
You are peeking under the skirts (when you don't need to AND can damage the Library if you do something wrong).
99.9% of the time, there is no safe reason to be within those folders. The UI can do almost everything you need (and a lot more that you did not know you needed to do )

Save to DISK is probably what you want (or Send to device).
Use the cover browser function in Calibre to see the books, then send/Save to your EXTERNAL (to the Library folders) storage device.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by qaplus View Post
No. There is a cover browser though that lets you view by cover and the book details pane that shows the covers. Try toggling the three icons in the lower right corner of calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
qaplus
qaplus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qaplus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qaplus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for answers. I tried cover browser. The 3D effect is nice, but doesn't really work with hundreds of books. The simple thumbnail view of Explorer is a lot quicker to locate a book.
qaplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I'm sorry but that is one of the most strangest things I have read for a while. You find looking at hundreds of thumbnails a fast way of finding a book?

The fast way is to search for it by name. Obviously doing that in Calibre is your best bet. The cover browser is imho just for eye candy, it isn't a "search" mechanism. Use the tag browser or directly in the search box to find a book.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I'm sorry but that is one of the most strangest things I have read for a while. You find looking at hundreds of thumbnails a fast way of finding a book?

The fast way is to search for it by name. Obviously doing that in Calibre is your best bet. The cover browser is imho just for eye candy, it isn't a "search" mechanism. Use the tag browser or directly in the search box to find a book.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
darkbeanies
darkbeanies began at the beginning.

Am I weird in thinking qaplus has a good idea? I mean, I am looking at my (real) bookshelf right now from quite a distance. I can tell what a lot of my books are, by the colours, or the picture on the cover or whatever, even though I can't really read the titles properly.

In fact, most of the books on my real bookshelf are "side on". With thumbnails, you can see the entire front cover!

Also, I have found the old logic about judging a book by its cover to be a bit of a crock. I can normally tell quite a lot about a book by its cover.

I agree that if you're looking for all books by Jurgen Habermas, or all books about crime, text search is the way to go. But...what if you're just looking for something random? Something nice to read?

Even if you think the idea completely sucks, I guess it wouldn't be that hard to implement, would it? Make the rows a bit bigger, shove the thumbnail in...You could always switch it off/ not have it on by default...

Last edited by darkbeanies; 08-04-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: speeelin errrar
darkbeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
This is an old argument I had on the Kindle forums. I want a cover browser instead of a flat file system. It's one of the things I love so much about my Nook Color.

Yeh, if you know exactly what book you're look for, it's much easier to do a search and have the name pop up in seconds. But... I like to browse my e-collections the same way I browse the shelves and tables in a bookstore. I'm very visual and can pick out a book by a fragment of color and a glimpse of the font.

So to the OP -- I understand exactly what you want. Calibre is amazing software, and I consider it as important as my OS, browser, and word processor. But in answer to your original question: No, Calibre doesn't have a thumbnail window view. Neat idea and lots faster for browsing than the beautifully implemented cover-flow view already in Calibre.
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
It's not as easy to implement as it sounds. It has been requested and is todo listed. However it is a low priority item. As far as I know, no one is currently working on this.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmwrite View Post
I want a cover browser instead of a flat file system.
A work around: go to the Calibre library, do a global search for "cover.jpg" and turn on the Windows thumbnail view. If you see a book you want, right click, open the directory with that cover and click on the format you want to read or get the name and return to Calibre.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
darkbeanies
darkbeanies began at the beginning.

Interesting, interesting...

I just started using calibre. I quite like it. But I quite like windows 7 explorer too for searching for my pdf documents (don't have/not interested in other formats...)

As of now, I can get win 7 explorer to display tags, ISBN number, Authors, title, a short description, standard pdf info like what made it, pages, DRM status and a couple of other things. (not in thumbnails mode, though, but it's easy to switch)

Of course windows can't look up any information at all unlike calibre...
darkbeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Some people are visual thinkers. I'm one of them. There have been plenty of times where I am searching for something, and know what it looks like, but can't think of related text to find it. This hasn't happened to me in calibre yet, but I've certainly experienced this problem when using my computer and in real life.

I imagine a cover browser that would show thumbnails of all of the covers would make for a good, simple plug-in project.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo View Post
I imagine a cover browser that would show thumbnails of all of the covers would make for a good, simple plug-in project.
Are you planning on giving it a go? I think it might be very popular.

I also don't think it would stay "simple" for very long. I think you would quickly get enhancement requests for variations in selecting/displaying
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #14
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Are you planning on giving it a go? I think it might be very popular.
Yeah, I think I will try it out. When I asked in the development forum about easy hacks one of the suggestions was to write a simple plug-in. This seems as good a place as any to dive in. I'll spend a few hours on it this weekend and see what will be involved.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #15
paratwa
Sci Fi fan
paratwa doesn't litterparatwa doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Any luck on the plug-in? I would really love to have it!
paratwa is offline   Reply With Quote