Notices

Old 04-06-2009, 06:03 AM   #1
tibiafry
Enthusiast
tibiafry has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Iliad
epub to mobipocket

Hello, I need to know some things:

1. What program does Calibre use to generate mobi? It doesn't seem prcgen/mobigen to me.

2. How can I avoid to create "Table of contents" at all. It's added at the end and I don't want it to exist.

3. Can I code a DRMed PRC? With Mobipocket creator it's an option called "Content Encription with DRM" and with mobigen it's an argument called "-s2".

Thanks a lot!
tibiafry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre does not use MobiPocket code to generate MOBIs. It also does not add or subtract DRM.

If you prefer Calibre's ePub to MOBI capability, then one work around might be to use mobi2oeb to explode the Calibre MOBI. Then remove the toc.ncx (since you don't want a TOC, note that you will also need to edit the .opf file to remove references to toc.ncx). Then use MobiPocket Creator or mobigen on the .opf file to make your final MOBI. I have not tried this, but the intent is to maintain the superior ePub to MOBI capability of Calibre but still get a DRMed MOBI. Otherwise, you could just give the ePub to mobigen directly.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
tibiafry
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Calibre does not use MobiPocket code to generate MOBIs. It also does not add or subtract DRM.

If you prefer Calibre's ePub to MOBI capability, then one work around might be to use mobi2oeb to explode the Calibre MOBI. Then remove the toc.ncx (since you don't want a TOC, note that you will also need to edit the .opf file to remove references to toc.ncx). Then use MobiPocket Creator or mobigen on the .opf file to make your final MOBI. I have not tried this, but the intent is to maintain the superior ePub to MOBI capability of Calibre but still get a DRMed MOBI. Otherwise, you could just give the ePub to mobigen directly.
Indeed, conversion (epub->mobi) with Calibre is far superior to mobigen, that's why I like it. The format is respected more strctly. Not to say the same thing with mobigen, that works very well, but it's not perfect.

I've tried that workarround this morning, just testing here and there, but the result is worse than directly converting with mobigen from epub. Format is lost in the opf-> mobi conversion.

thanks for your help
Old 04-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why do you want to go from DRM free ePub to DRM infected Mobipocket?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:20 AM   #5
tibiafry
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you answer my question maybe I'll answer yours. LOL.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use mobi2oeb from calibre to convert the calibre produced MOBI file to an OPF and then run mobigen on the OPF
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:24 AM   #7
tibiafry
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use mobi2oeb from calibre to convert the calibre produced MOBI file to an OPF and then run mobigen on the OPF
It doesn't work well. The result is worse than directly converting with mobigen from epub. Format is really messed up during the opf-> mobi conversion.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibiafry View Post
2. How can I avoid to create "Table of contents" at all. It's added at the end and I don't want it to exist.
Why though do you want not to have one? Most people seem to insist that one be present.

If the reason is that you already have an in-line TOC, you can extract/generate/provide an OPF file for your source and add a //guide/reference of @type="toc" pointing to your existing in-line TOC. That will prevent a new one from being generated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibiafry View Post
3. Can I code a DRMed PRC? With Mobipocket creator it's an option called "Content Encription with DRM" and with mobigen it's an argument called "-s2".
Nope. DRM is evil, haven't you heard?
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not all devices read ePub files, so having an easy way to go from a DRM free ePub file to a DRM free Mobi file would be helpful for some of us.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:57 AM   #10
tibiafry
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Why though do you want not to have one? Most people seem to insist that one be present.

If the reason is that you already have an in-line TOC, you can extract/generate/provide an OPF file for your source and add a //guide/reference of @type="toc" pointing to your existing in-line TOC. That will prevent a new one from being generated.

Nope. DRM is evil, haven't you heard?
I have my own Idex, yes. And I don't want to get a TOC, because I want my index to be like I made it. Also I want it in the specific place I put it. I didn't understand quite well the "@type=toc" thing. Can you explain it a little easier, please?

About DRMs... I'm not discussing about the goodness or evilness of it. I just need them on.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:59 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
See my Mobipocket tutorial here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11678

It discusses the use of "Guide Items", including the TOC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #12
tibiafry
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
See my Mobipocket tutorial here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11678

It discusses the use of "Guide Items", including the TOC.
Sorry, that didn't help.