Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
SD card drains battery?

I have a 16MB SD card inserted into my PRS-700. I was reading last night and before I put the device to sleep, the battery bar indicated 3 bars. When I woke up this morning and turned the device back on, there were no bars left and a box came up to say "Low battery". I could continue reading but now I'm wondering could the SD card have drained the battery?
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
I don't know about your device.... on the Kindle, when content is initially loaded, there is an indexing process that drains the battery quite a bit. Good luck.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
thibaulthalpern: Check your Rx KliiK eyewear,

Inserted SD cards does not draw power directly, Perhaps if you loaded a 16GB
card and had the reader index 16GB's worth of content, that might explain your
mystery. Many of us would have noticed a problem by now if it were a problem.

On the other hand, if your card is 16MB, and had thousands of small files to index
the above would also apply. If your SD is faulty, the reader could also be having
problems indexing too. try a new (branded) card to verify.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
I have a 16MB SD card inserted into my PRS-700. I was reading last night and before I put the device to sleep, the battery bar indicated 3 bars. When I woke up this morning and turned the device back on, there were no bars left and a box came up to say "Low battery". I could continue reading but now I'm wondering could the SD card have drained the battery?
Yes it could be. Even if the problem didn't occur with my reader i've seen enough posts on this topic. Nobody knows why a SD-Card should drain the battery when the reader is in sleep-mode. If the problem still exist, i would backup the contents and reformat the SD-Card - even if there is no lucid explanation why this could help.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
thibaulthalpern: Check your Rx KliiK eyewear,
I did. I'm glad I have it because without it it would make my life quite a bit more miserable ;-) ;-)

Quote:
On the other hand, if your card is 16MB, and had thousands of small files to index
the above would also apply. If your SD is faulty, the reader could also be having
problems indexing too. try a new (branded) card to verify.
It could be that I loaded some dozens of PDF files in the reader the evening before I went to bed. I did it via Calibre, I think. Well, let's see how it fares tonight. I'm reading Randy Pausch's The Last Lecture.

By the way, I do get "it". But I'm also thinking, well, my eyeglasses are a reading device of sorts that even the eReader can't replace ;-)
Old 03-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
[..] But I'm also thinking, well, my eyeglasses are a reading device of sorts that even the eReader can't replace ;-)
Old 03-16-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
Inserted SD cards does not draw power directly,
I beg to differ. An SD card, even in "standby" mode, draws a small but constant amount of power. It uses more power to read, and a LOT more power to write.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

So with my experiment last night, the battery drain didn't happen. The SD card remained in the card slot while I read for about 30 minutes last night. When I woke up some 6 hours later, the battery level was fine.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Silly suggestion, I'm sure, but you didn't leave the light on or anything?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Good hint. Sometimes it's just that simple. The MP3-Player could also be one of the suspects.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
So with my experiment last night, the battery drain didn't happen. The SD card remained in the card slot while I read for about 30 minutes last night. When I woke up some 6 hours later, the battery level was fine.
I think your testing time is too short. I noticed quite a significant difference with PRS 505. If PRS 505 is in sleep mode with SD card, the battery will be drained in 2 weeks even if I don't use it at all. Without SD card, it lasts more than 3 weeks under the same condition.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Good hint. Sometimes it's just that simple. The MP3-Player could also be one of the suspects.
That happened to me with the MP3. I couldn't stop the player until I re-synched the device.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I beg to differ. An SD card, even in "standby" mode, draws a small but constant amount of power. It uses more power to read, and a LOT more power to write.
The operative word was 'directly' Indirectly, SD cards will draw a very
small amount while accessed. But while parked and un-used, the draw
is negligible.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I don't think so. The first time the drained happened, I made sure that when I went to sleep I put the device to sleep.

It could be what someone else suggested: before I crawled into bed, I had downloaded a bunch of PDF articles from my computer to the SD card and then put it into the reader. I did this via Calibre which as I understand does not initiate indexing in the reader. So perhaps all the time I was reading my book the reader was also indexing the PDF?

Anyhow, the second time around the problem seemed to have disappeared.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #15
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
No MP3 player. I don't listen to music with the reader (it's a very clumsy device to carry around as an MP3 player--much too big).