Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Lanyon
Lanyon doesn't litterLanyon doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
[Very Old Thread] Calibre suggestions

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this - but here goes anyway.

I have a couple of suggestions for the author of Calibre, all minor, but he may wish to incorporate/ignore them.

1. it would be nice if the bars for titles, authors etc which can be resized, to stay that size on exiting restarting the programme. A "nice to have" but of course, not essential.

2. The individual rows appear to resize (varying in row height) for no discernible reason (probably there is a good reason). It would be nice if they stayed the sames size.

3. When moving from library to PRS, the arrangement of the columns changes. in Library viewing, I have author then title, in PRS viewing it is Title then author. I am still trying to find out if I can change this myself, but cannot find how to do this if it is there.

4. I think the remove books icon should be on its own and not near the edit meta information. For idiots like me it is all too easy to make a mistake.

I am am so impressed that someone has taken the time to write this programme for the Mac, that I am almost embarrassed to point out these these small changes - so apologies if they appear to trivial for contemplation.

Jim
Old 12-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1. Should be happening already
2. Also the rows are all the same height for me
3. Not going to change
4. You'll get used to it
Old 12-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
3. Not going to change
4. You'll get used to it
Actually I have had most versions since the start on OSX 10.4 and
1. resets every time for me i always have to drag publisher larger if im doing a lot of work
2. I have to drag publisher longer because the longer pub names causes each row vary in height.

I wonder why ???
Old 12-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I believe there is a bug in the OSX build that is affecting the saving of preferences. It will be addressed once I return home and have access to an OS X machine again.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
I believe there is a bug in the OSX build that is affecting the saving of preferences. It will be addressed once I return home and have access to an OS X machine again.
Cheers Kovid if you want me to test PM me, I just assumed the program didnt do it

I should have known better cos everything else is just about poifect
Old 12-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
Lanyon

Quote:
3. Not going to change
4. You'll get used to it
Hi,

1. Another poster has the same problem, but I know you are going to look at it.

2. Same as 1.

3. OK, it was minor only

4. Guess I will

Thanks for the programme and also thanks for looking at this...

Jim
Old 12-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Actually I have had most versions since the start on OSX 10.4 and
1. resets every time for me i always have to drag publisher larger if im doing a lot of work
2. I have to drag publisher longer because the longer pub names causes each row vary in height.

I wonder why ???
Turn off the "tray icon" in the interface configuration. The save on quit will then work.

BOb
Old 12-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
Lanyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Turn off the "tray icon" in the interface configuration. The save on quit will then work.

BOb
Hi Bob,

My preferences in Calibre is "grayed" out, don't know why. I have uninstalled the programme and reinstalled - still grayed out and I still have the tray icon. I used Appzapper for the uninstall, so I think it picked up everything.

I am using Leopard 10.5.6 on an Imac - plenty of free disk space and 4 gigs memory.

Any ideas?

jim
Old 12-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanyon View Post
My preferences in Calibre is "grayed" out, don't know why. I have uninstalled the programme and reinstalled - still grayed out and I still have the tray icon. I used Appzapper for the uninstall, so I think it picked up everything.
Yea, it's not really a cocoa app, so preferences menu item doesn't work. Click on the "hammer" icon to the right of the search box.

BOb
Old 12-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
Lanyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yea, it's not really a cocoa app, so preferences menu item doesn't work. Click on the "hammer" icon to the right of the search box.

BOb
Hi Bob,

Yes, that did the trick....

Many thanks...
Jim
Closed Thread