Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
ronw
Enthusiast
ronw began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
New Purchase

I have just purchased the Sony PRS-650. I had previously used the Kobo.
First impression is that I do not like the screen. The text is nowhere near as crisp as the Kobo. I will start a book tonight and see how I feel after reading a full book. The Kobo also seems to look and feel more like a book. Considering I paid almost twice the price for the Sony I would have thought it would have surpassed the Kobo. How do others feel about the screen on PRS-650, though I suppose if you had always had the Sony you would not have anything to compare it with.
ronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Actually I also had a Kobo e-reader and Kobo's page turn was sooo slow and even opening a book took seconds. About the quality of screen, I found PRS-650 actually much better and am very much satisfied with my PRS-650 now. Sorry, no thanks Kobo.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #3
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
The text is nowhere near as crisp as the Kobo.
That's very very strange, considering 650 has Pearl e-ink and NO touchscreen LAYER (only net of invisible IR beams) corrupting it.

Last edited by kartu; 09-15-2010 at 05:18 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #4
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
Though I dont have any experience here, featurewise, this sony reader does surpass a Kobo hands down.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 AM   #5
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I have a Kobo and I think it's slow as a moving tortoise. I like the Kobo design and interface better. Very comfortable to hold and easy to navigate. I'm waiting for my 350 and hopefully it's much faster. The built in dictionary and touch screen sold me on a Sony.

The big advantage of Kobo is their bookstore is 10x better and available on more platform then Sony book store.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
lord_blackfang
Enthusiast
lord_blackfang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-600
Pearl worse than Vizplex? Absolutely ridiculous. Maybe you got a faulty 650 or something?
lord_blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:48 AM   #7
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Strange. I'll add to the chorus here, and say that for me, the 350's screen is clearly better than the Kobo's. Page turns are also faster. Like Thymaster, I do like the Kobo's interface better -- it's uncluttered and quite intuitive -- but I appreciate the more powerful features of the Sony, as well as the ease of using the touchscreen.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:25 AM   #8
ronw
Enthusiast
ronw began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Just an update side by side the Kobo is crisper than 650. I also like the kobo to hold but I may feel different about that if I can get a good case for 650
I have a leather folio case for Kobo but Sony could not supply a case. Does anyone know what the 650 cases are like. It's a real pain not having any protection for 650. I want to carry my reader everywhere but without a case are a bit nervous
I agree Kobo is slow to page but found it easy to press page turn a few lines before end of page so that it flicked over just as I was getting to last words.
Anyway I am keeping both readers and time will tell which I use most
ronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronw View Post
Just an update side by side the Kobo is crisper than 650.
Could you post a photo of it please?
This is pretty much the only report of Pearl screen being worse than Viziplex.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
He said "crisper"...maybe it's more a case of the font being used.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #11
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Can you take notes and highlight text with a Kobo? I have the Sony for this purpose.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #12
bmatt
Enthusiast
bmatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
After reading this thread I have to beg the question, are you sure it is a 650? I saw another thread with someone thinking they were looking at a 650 in store and from their description it had to be a 600, as far as I know stores don't have the 650 yet. A 600 would definitely be less crisp than a Kobo, thats why I ask.
bmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
Can you take notes and highlight text with a Kobo? I have the Sony for this purpose.
No. That's partly why I was so excited to get the 350. Kobo's UI is quite polished and the software development team appears to be attentive to user feedback, but currently the Kobo is a very basic reader which doesn't even support endnotes. That may be rectified in a future firmware update, in addition to other new features -- PDF reflow, for one, seems a strong possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatt
as far as I know stores don't have the 650 yet.
Both the 350 and 650 have been available in Australia for almost a week now*. It's probably the same in NZ.

* (In the local Sony Centres, that is. I don't know about orders from the SonyStyle online store.)

Last edited by viviena; 09-15-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: clarification
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yeah, those antipodeans are lucky bastards!
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
I have a Kobo and I think it's slow as a moving tortoise. I like the Kobo design and interface better. Very comfortable to hold and easy to navigate. I'm waiting for my 350 and hopefully it's much faster. The built in dictionary and touch screen sold me on a Sony.

The big advantage of Kobo is their bookstore is 10x better and available on more platform then Sony book store.
But you can buy ePub from Kobo and use with a Sony. So no loss there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote