Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Does Calibre recognize the Astak Pocket Pro?

It seems to think it's a Bebook here.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
It will recognize it as a BeBook Mini, which is the same hardware as the Pocket Pro. I haven't had any trouble transferring books to mine using Calibre. I use the "save to disk" option instead of the "transfer to device" though, so Calibre copies the files to the folders as I have them tagged (genre/series/bookfile) instead of the Calibre default (author/book/bookfile).
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It doesn't have a driver for the Astak Pocket Pro
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, I was just checking the documentation and discovered that.

Thanks.

I think I'm returning it in any case....too many little niggling things I'm not real happy with, like the above....
Old 09-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It doesn't have a driver for the Astak Pocket Pro
Just out of curiosity, would the driver be any different than the Bebook Mini since it's the same hardware? The Pocket Pro didn't have any installation disk, it was just plug and play. Windows identifies the Pocket Pro as a Linux File-Stor Gadget USB device. Looks like it's using 4 driver files: disk.sys, drvmcdb.sys, PartMgr.sys, and SiRemFil.sys.

Anyway, I've been using Calibre to copy files to my Pocket Pro (which calibre tells me is a Bebook mini) for a week now and haven't had any trouble, so hopefully I'm not doing something I shouldn't!

By the way, Calibre is a great program! I've been using it with my Gen3 for almost a year. I throw money in the tip jar when I can and should do it more often, it's definitely worth it!
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No the driver wouldn't be very different. If you post the output from running

calibre-debug -d

with the device connected

I can whip one up in a few minutes
Old 09-15-2009, 01:27 AM   #7
mattgam
Enthusiast
mattgam began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505,Cybook Gen 3, Astak Pocket Pro
Here you go:
USB devices on system: [u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2936&rev0003', u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2935&rev0003', u'usb\\root_
hub&vid8086&pid2937&rev0003', u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2938&rev0003', u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2934&rev0003', u'usb\
\root_hub20&vid8086&pid293a&rev0003', u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid293c&rev0003', u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c521&rev_5701', u'
usb\\vid_046d&pid_c521&rev_5701&mi_00', u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c521&rev_5701&mi_01', u'usb\\vid_0492&pid_8813&rev_0319', u'
usb\\vid_0bda&pid_0158&rev_5887', u'usb\\vid_0c45&pid_62c0&rev_0100', u'usb\\vid_0c45&pid_62c0&rev_0100&mi_00', u'usb\\v
id_0db0&pid_a97a&rev_3164']
Drives detected:
(ID, Partitions, Drive letter)
('IDE\\DISKWDC_WD3200BEVT-60ZCT0___________________11.01A11\\5&295DAC72&0&0. 0.0', 'No mount points found')
('USBSTOR\\DISK&VEN_LINUX&PROD_FILE-STOR_GADGET&REV_0319\\3238204E6F&0', 2, u'F:\\')
('USBSTOR\\DISK&VEN_LINUX&PROD_FILE-STOR_GADGET&REV_0319\\3238204E6F&1', 3, u'G:\\')
Looking for BEBOOK
Looking for BEBOOK_MINI
Looking for BLACKBERRY
Looking for CYBOOKG3
Looking for EB600
Looking for ILIAD
Looking for IREXDR1000
Looking for JETBOOK
Looking for KINDLE
Looking for KINDLE2
Looking for KINDLE_DX
Looking for PRS500
Looking for PRS505
Looking for PRS700
Looking for PRS600
Looking for ANDROID
Looking for CYBOOK_OPUS
Looking for COOL_ER
Device possibly connected: <calibre.devices.bebook.driver.BEBOOK_MINI object at 0x03EF21D0>
Trying to open device... OK
Main memory: u'G:\\'
Total space: (385662976, 1023524864, 0)
mattgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:59 AM   #8
kennyc

Hey That would be wonderful if it could be added!!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
tamzilla
Zealot

Mattgam beat me to it.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Unfortunately, it seems to be completely identical to the Bebook mini, all the data returned by the OS is exactly the same. So there's no way for calibre to know it's not a Mini. But since it does seem to be completely identical, it should work fine as a Mini Let me know if there are any problems.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
kennyc

Hmmm. It was throwing some other error following the identification. I'll have to check tonight when I get home.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
tamzilla
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmmm. It was throwing some other error following the identification. I'll have to check tonight when I get home.
Now that I think about it, I got an error from Calibre the first time it recognized the device, too. In my case, it was Calibre not liking the Chinese version of the manual that is included on the reader. Unfortunately I didn't write the error message down, but I think it had something to do with Calibre being unable to read the metadata from the file. I removed the Chinese manual and haven't gotten any other error messages from Calibre when using the Pocket Pro.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzilla View Post
Now that I think about it, I got an error from Calibre the first time it recognized the device, too. In my case, it was Calibre not liking the Chinese version of the manual that is included on the reader. Unfortunately I didn't write the error message down, but I think it had something to do with Calibre being unable to read the metadata from the file. I removed the Chinese manual and haven't gotten any other error messages from Calibre when using the Pocket Pro.

That could very well be it. I will check an get back this evening..
Old 09-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
kennyc

...ooops sorry...
Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #15
kennyc

Okay so I'm more informed than I was yesterday. The main problem I was having here was due to

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzilla View Post
And this was causing it to not read the internal or SD card to find the books already there.

I also was unaware that a BeBook Reader is the same hardware both from Jinke Electronics just rebranded.

SO bottom line here is that Calibre DOES recognize the Astak Pocket Pro, but as a BeBook Mini. The transfer of books/files/news all work properly .... but you have to get rid to that chinese manual because it screws up the works.

I'm much happier with this set up now. My only remaining issue with the Pocket Pro is that tiny font size on the menus!