Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
love2live
love2live began at the beginning.

Device: Acer A210 & Sony PRS-T2
Thumbs down How can I read EPUB in a browser?

If I buy a Google Chromebook I can't install and run software like Calibre on it. Is there a possibility to open and read EPUB books in Dropbox, Google Drive or Skydrive within my browser Opera, Maxthon or Comodo Dragon? ThanXXX !!!
love2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198532
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Install Firefox and use its epub plug-in.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:24 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Install Firefox and use its epub plug-in.
On a Chromebook? Please, do tell.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
On a Chromebook? Please, do tell.
Well, irrational optimist, if we had some eggs we could have ham & eggs if we had some ham.

Sorry, misread the question.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
magicscroll ebook reader

there is an extension in the chrome store called "magicscroll ebook reader". i'm not sure how well it works, but it's available for free.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's also proprietary software that can be used to read on your computer like the Sony reader software, the Kobo reader software etc.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Readium seems to work pretty well for ePub not protected by DRM. You can download from your Cloud storage solutions then open in Readium, or, if you know the URL to the file you can open it directly in Readium.

Also, if your ePub files are held in Google Drive then you can use ChromeOS's own file manager within Readium to open the file from the Cloud.

If your ePub files are DRM-protected, then you can read them using the web player for the particular store (assuming one exists). For example, if you bought your book from Google Play then Google's own reader works both on and offline on the Chromebook.

What we can't do (yet) on Chromebooks is download an Adobe DRM-protected book outside of the specific shop apps and open it. Adobe haven't written a version of Adobe Digital Editions for ChromeOS.

Note that on the Chromebook you'll be using the built-in Chrome browser. The three alternate browsers that you specified don't have versions for ChromeOS. However, note that Comodo is built around Chromium, so the underlying technology is presumably the same as for Chrome on the Chromebook.

Incidentally, why the thumbs down in the thread subject?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
There is the Google Play Reader. I haven't used it, but I did install it now to see if you could read your own books in it.

https://play.google.com/books/uploads

Quote:
Upload your personal documents to Google Play, and read them anywhere.
Keep up to 1,000 EPUB or PDF files in Google Play for free.
Upload from your computer or import from Google Drive.
Read anywhere: in the web browser, on Android phones and tablets, or with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Page position, bookmarks, and notes are synced to the cloud, so you can pick up reading where you left off.
File size can't exceed 50MB, and it may take a few minutes to finish processing before you can read.
Make sure you have the appropriate rights to the uploaded content.
(I clicked on "SHOP" in the left hand menu, and then "MY BOOKS" to get the upload menu. Even though I start in MY BOOKS, the upload options weren't there until after I went to the SHOP.)
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
love2live

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
there is an extension in the chrome store called "magicscroll ebook reader". i'm not sure how well it works, but it's available for free.
Works fine in Comodo Dragon. ThanXXX
Old 01-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
love2live

Smile For the Desktop Computer I have a dozen ePub Reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
There's also proprietary software that can be used to read on your computer like the Sony reader software, the Kobo reader software etc.
... and now I have three more for Chrome. ThanXXX for all the feedback here!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
love2live

I don't like Firefox!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
love2live

Thumbs up Readium works fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Readium seems to work pretty well for ePub not protected by DRM. You can download from your Cloud storage solutions then open in Readium, or, if you know the URL to the file you can open it directly in Readium.

Also, if your ePub files are held in Google Drive then you can use ChromeOS's own file manager within Readium to open the file from the Cloud.

If your ePub files are DRM-protected, then you can read them using the web player for the particular store (assuming one exists). For example, if you bought your book from Google Play then Google's own reader works both on and offline on the Chromebook.

What we can't do (yet) on Chromebooks is download an Adobe DRM-protected book outside of the specific shop apps and open it. Adobe haven't written a version of Adobe Digital Editions for ChromeOS.

Note that on the Chromebook you'll be using the built-in Chrome browser. The three alternate browsers that you specified don't have versions for ChromeOS. However, note that Comodo is built around Chromium, so the underlying technology is presumably the same as for Chrome on the Chromebook.

Incidentally, why the thumbs down in the thread subject?

Graham
Readium works very fine in Comodo Dragon. ThanXXX!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
love2live

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
There is the Google Play Reader. I haven't used it, but I did install it now to see if you could read your own books in it.

https://play.google.com/books/uploads

(I clicked on "SHOP" in the left hand menu, and then "MY BOOKS" to get the upload menu. Even though I start in MY BOOKS, the upload options weren't there until after I went to the SHOP.)
Very fine tip, thanXXX! Tried Google Play Books and it works very fine in Comodo Dragon.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #15
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Would this work -- EpubReader App?

http://www.epubread.com/app/en/

It is supposed to work in Chrome (also works in Firefox...and Internet Explorer, snicker.)
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser, chromebook, epub, epub reader