Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #301
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I like your category ideas. I have been thinking about some to add.

What a lovely surprise to see fireworks over the lake. Sounds like a relaxing way to spend the weekend.
It was a nice surprise. I've used up my category nomination for this season so any of my other suggestions will have to wait unless someone else really likes one and nominates it themselves. I'm looking forward to whatever you and everyone else may think up.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:44 AM   #302
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've updated the Goodreads page; I think now all that's left really is to organise the guidelines in the first post in this thread in a better way. That will come eventually. I'm also going to add in Dazrin's stats spreadsheet for the clubs because it's amazing.

I've also thought of another topic suggestion - Man Booker nominees and winners, and would include the international prize as well. I'm not sure how revolutionary that would be seeing how we already generally have a good many British-associated books being nominated and selected including some Booker nominees and winners here and there, but still it's a topic I'd be interested in.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #303
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I like the idea to do something related to award-winners, especially with an international spin to it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:05 AM   #304
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Any category nomination for August? No need to be shy if anyone has an idea. If there isn't any, then I guess the go-to will be to open it back up to everyone to nominate to get a category (which in this case would be me, but I'd prefer someone else nominate one!).

Also, the September category is still up for grabs as well.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:41 PM   #305
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How about an awards winner category? We've never done one quite like that. We don't have to name a specific award as long as it's literary. It would allow for a variety of nominations including international translations as well as cover longer periods of time including some public domain options.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:56 PM   #306
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Sounds like a plan! I’ll have the thread up soon.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:45 AM   #307
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Nominations are up!

(Bookworm_Girl, I hope you're okay with my paraphrasing of your description.)
Old 08-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #308
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I've thought of two more category ideas. The first is playing off Bookworm_Girl's category nomination this month and would be called "Bridesmaids". This would be any selection that was on a nomination/shortlist for an award but never won any major award.

The second would be called something like "Fun". Lit books can have a reputation for seriousness, so I thought it could be interesting to have a month of nominations that somehow focus on fun, whatever that may mean to you.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #309
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I like the idea of a category that is fun. I was thinking the same thing while I was looking for books to nominate this month.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #310
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I'm glad it interests you too. I like serious as much as anyone, but something like that could shake things up a bit considering the reputation of literary books in general.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:04 AM   #311
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

We still need a category for September. I hope someone that hasn’t yet nominates one, but if no one does by tomorrow we’ll also open it up to people who’ve already nominated this season (i.e. Bookeorm_Girl and me).
Old 08-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #312
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
We still need a category for September. I hope someone that hasn’t yet nominates one, but if no one does by tomorrow we’ll also open it up to people who’ve already nominated this season (i.e. Bookeorm_Girl and me).
As September marks the change of the seasons, I propose a category revolving around change. I realize that it's very open to interpretation, but I think could allow us to get in some recommendations that haven't fit here or in other clubs. I am completely open to it being narrowed down if anyone has suggestions of how to do so.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:17 PM   #313
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
As September marks the change of the seasons, I propose a category revolving around change. I realize that it's very open to interpretation, but I think could allow us to get in some recommendations that haven't fit here or in other clubs. I am completely open to it being narrowed down if anyone has suggestions of how to do so.
Sounds interesting, and I think the “open to interpretation” aspect would be fun.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:29 PM   #314
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Any idea for the actual name of the category?
Old 08-31-2018, 06:50 PM   #315
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I was thinking of going with ‘Changes’, ‘Revolving around Change’ or maybe an effervescent ‘Ch Ch Changes’ unless I hear any other idea for the category name.