Old 06-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
Gary Friedman
Gary Friedman began at the beginning.

Device: none
.docx --> epub - Heading styles not translating to <h1> <h2>

Help! I'm converting a docx file to epub. Usually I specify

• Level 1 ToC (Xpath expression): //h:h1
• Level 2 ToC (Xpath expression): //h:div[@id]

and it works great. Suddenly it's not doing that - <h1> and <h2> are no longer marking chapter headings and subheadings. Lulu requires all chapters and subheadings to be in <h2> <h3> format. Did anything change recently?

Source file: http://friedmanarchives.com/~downloa..._for_epub.docx

Output file: http://friedmanarchives.com/~downloa...III_v1.05.epub

Thanks! GF
Gary Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You dont need to use structure detection, calibre will automatically create a ToC based on the ToC in the docx file. As for the headings, it's likely because they are formatted using tables in the docx file. Format them as normal paragrpahs and it should work.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:30 AM   #3
Gary Friedman

Thanks, Kovid. But as you'll note in the source file the headings are not inside tables. So I'm not sure what I should do next (other than "no need to use structure detection" next time. :-) ).

As mentioned earlier, I've done six other similarly-formatted books this way, all successfully. GF
Old 06-20-2018, 01:43 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, typo, I meant to say list, not table. The headings are formatted as lists.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:44 AM   #5
Gary Friedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sorry, typo, I meant to say list, not table. The headings are formatted as lists.
True, they are numbered lists. They are section numbers which are referred to throughout. All previous ebooks were done this way. Why does this suddenly not work now? GF
Old 06-20-2018, 03:44 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Because the list you are using in this book uses index formatting that cannot be represented except as a table in HTML, which means your headings cannot be represented using <h> tags
Old 06-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
Gary Friedman

I found the problem. Normally I go into VBA immediate mode and type

ActiveDocument.Range.ListFormat.ConvertNumbersToTe xt

which converts the numbered list with just numbers. For some reason it didn't take. Just did it again and all is well.

Thank you for taking the time to respond! GF

Tags
conversion .docx .epub