Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #1
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How to make text larger in MobileRead forums?

Browsing the forums on an iPhone.

The text is tiny, basically unreadable unless one holds the device up to their eyeball!

I can pinch-zoom to make it bigger, but then it simply flows off the screen and requires laborious back and forth dragging. Double tapping makes a tad larger but still tiny.

Any way of adjusting the font size here to make it bigger? Either a MobileRead option or one in Safari?!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Go into the Size adjustments on you cell phone...in settings
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I’d use another browser that allows text size options. Nothing I change in the Settings on my iPhone 7+ makes the text larger in Safari.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:31 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
Browsing the forums on an iPhone.

The text is tiny, basically unreadable unless one holds the device up to their eyeball!

I can pinch-zoom to make it bigger, but then it simply flows off the screen and requires laborious back and forth dragging. Double tapping makes a tad larger but still tiny.

Any way of adjusting the font size here to make it bigger? Either a MobileRead option or one in Safari?!
One way I found was from the &Adapt website. It's a bit of a pain to set up the two bookmarks but it works on my iPhone (11.4 firmware). Just keep tapping the Increase Font Size bookmark as often as needed. Copy and paste is your friend here. Sorry I can't offer any better help.

How to change the font size in Safari on the iPad and iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1176.PNG
Views:	223
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	166168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1177.PNG
Views:	230
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	166169  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I ended up purchasing iCab Mobile (web browser). It has far more bells and whistles than I need, but it allows you to increase font size and remembers the font-size settings for each page you visit. It's the only way I can read MobileRead on my iPhone and iPad.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icab...308111628?mt=8

P.S. I see this thread was moved to the Feedback forum, but would the Apple forum be a better place?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2018, 11:16 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I ended up purchasing iCab Mobile (web browser). It has far more bells and whistles than I need, but it allows you to increase font size and remembers the font-size settings for each page you visit. It's the only way I can read MobileRead on my iPhone and iPad.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icab...308111628?mt=8

P.S. I see this thread was moved to the Feedback forum, but would the Apple forum be a better place?
Fair enough.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:48 AM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
In landscape the text size will be bigger, I would say at least 2x.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
There is a cool feature in Safari that will sometimes be available for some websites. I cannot remember what Apple named this feature, but see the attachment. Compatible websites will have an icon in the upper-left of the page in the address bar that looks like a miniature view of multiple lines for text. Press that icon and not only is the text enlarged and made bold, but the advertisements go away too! Unfortunately, not all websites allow it, including MobileRead. I guess they can deactivate or prevent it. Sites that rely heavily on annoying ads are likely going to prevent the feature if they know how. So MR owners, please allow it by changing the way your websites are configured.

BTW, sometimes this feature works really well, especially for websites with mostly text. sometimes it gets a bit wonky if there are a lot of graphics. But most of the time it works pretty well.

Apple, just like Amazon, has had great difficulty understanding that people want and NEED to adjust formatting on text. I'm not sure why both companies have been so adverse to that, but they have.

ETA: The feature is called Reader View and it works on the Mac OS X version of Safari as well as the iOS version.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safari-text-enlargement.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	764.1 KB
ID:	166220  

Last edited by OtinG; 09-11-2018 at 10:13 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ideally MR will upgrade the forum software so that it is mobile-friendly. I don’t know what is involved in doing that, maybe we need to do a fund raiser or something. Several of the other forums sites I visit work fine on smartphones without any issues.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #10
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Ideally MR will upgrade the forum software so that it is mobile-friendly. I don’t know what is involved in doing that, maybe we need to do a fund raiser or something. Several of the other forums sites I visit work fine on smartphones without any issues.
I doubt they will modify their website just to please those of us who want to read it on an smartphone. This website has been around a lot longer than smartphones and tablets. I remember when PDAs were becoming popular and MR decided to update their logo to reflect a more mobile era in electronics, so they had a contest to see who could design the best logo for them. The winning logo is still being used and it is basically a PDA with a wheel and an antenna and has a face drawn on the screen. But the website has never been that readable on smaller screened devices. You think it sucks now, you should have tried reading this site back when PDAs had square 160px by 160px screens. Even when they went to 320px by 320px or 480px it was terribly difficult.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #11
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Air 2
Reader view is one of the leading reasons I migrated to the apple garden. So much easier to read the intended content without all of the clutter. I hate trying to read a story about the new dog park in my hometown or the next hurricane and accidently touch a link while scrolling and wind up at some "shady" looking website very annoying.

I wish MobileRead had the frature but I've managed to read the forums with pinch to zoom for years.
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Note, the forum has had a mobile edition for years:

http://www.mobileread.mobi
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Also try tapatalk,
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Note, the forum has had a mobile edition for years:

http://www.mobileread.mobi
What I would be looking for is ‘responsive web design’, not a separate ‘mobile’ web site: a single site that renders well on a variety of (modern) devices and window/screen sizes, with full functionality preserved.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design

Perhaps five years ago it was critical to have ‘Mobile’ sites that were text-only and could be navigated on flip phones and feature-limited web browsers, and to conserve bandwidth for people with slow internet connections or expensive cellular data plans. I’m not sure that is the case today.

Is anyone actually using the ‘mobile’ site?

I can navigate the ‘full’ Mobileread site just fine on my iPhone, and certainly prefer doing that to using the ‘mobile’ site, but it would be a better experience if the web site were ‘responsive’.

I have tried tapatalk and do not like it. Feels like tying shoelaces with gloves on.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Actually the mobile site is not a separate site at all in the sense of information. It is just a different way to display the exact same information. It has all the same data.

You can read about it at our wiki Mobile MobileRead

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 09-13-2018 at 12:13 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote