Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It might be safer to drop a harness from the ceiling and use a bluetooth remote or an Alexa skill to turn the pages.
I'm in!
(though I can't get my bluetooth remote to turn pages in the Fire's Kindle reader like I can with the full-blown Android Kindle app on my Nexus 7).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #47
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNet View Post
Sadly, the new machine doesn't come close to the resolution of the old Fire HDX 7. The site claims the new one has 189 ppi, while the old HDX 7 has over 300 ppi. I'd love to get a new Fire, but not until the new one is at the level of the old one!
Good Point!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #48
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... so it won't be Cylons but Alexons? And again we make ourselves vulnerable.
When we started wearing hides for clothes and shoes we became vulnerable. A very "old" recurring cycle.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #49
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
The Fire HD8 already supports Alexa handsfree:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202083830

Quote:
Alexa Hands-Free Mode
Note: At this time, only 7th Generation Fire 7, Fire HD 8, and Fire HD 10 devices with the latest software support Alexa hands-free.

To enable or disable Alexa hands-free, swipe down from the top of your tablet’s Home screen and tap the Alexa Hands-Free icon in the quick actions menu. Alternatively, you can tap the Settings (gear) icon, tap Alexa, then tap the switch for Hands-Free Mode.

Note: Fire 7 (7th Generation) and Fire HD 8 (7th Generation) devices support Alexa hands-free only when the device is being used, or when the device is connected to a strong power source.
Maybe they mean that it will now support Alexa handsfree when the device is asleep and not plugged in? If so, that sounds like a pretty minor tweak to me. Is this worthy of an "All new! Fire HD8!" announcement? I can't see buying a new tablet just for this small addition. Why not just buy an Echo Dot instead, they're cheaper. Plus, an Echo Dot won't constantly use your tablets battery and WiFi to enable "listening while asleep". We already have Alexa handsfree on current HD8 tablets - even when asleep ... if you simply plug the thing into power. Since this is currently limited to function only when the device is plugged in, that would make you think that it's a power-eating feature. Maybe that's something that you might NOT want to run full-time on your tablet when it's asleep and on battery.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:58 AM   #50
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I'm somewhat happy with the new Fire HD8 release as it's saving me money buying a new Fire HD 8 this year. I have last year's. My interest in the Alexa Show is not nearly high enough given I have 3 echo dots scattered around the house already.

I'd have like more speed and a better "don't use up the battery when the device is not in use" mode. Actually, the latter is all that's really missing for my "watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and read Kindle books" use cases. Since my iPad is my daily driver tablet, the Kindle is often dead when I pick it up if I didn't turn it off after using it. My ipad can go a very long time without use and still have about the same battery life left as when you last used it.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2018, 12:39 AM   #51
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This new Fire tab will ship with Fire OS 6 (based on Android 7.1 Nougat). It'll be the first Fire tab to have it. Current Fire tabs use Fire OS 5 (based on Android 5.1 Lollipop). For reference, the latest version of Android is 9.0 Pie.
I expect that they’ll have upgrades for the previous gen HD8/10 (at least) to Fire OS 6.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #52
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Any idea what "goodness" should come from the Android 5.1 to 7.1 "under the hood" upgrade? Better battery life? (fingers crossed)
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #53
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Any idea what "goodness" should come from the Android 5.1 to 7.1 "under the hood" upgrade? Better battery life? (fingers crossed)
Goodness: battery life, performance, and opt-in permissions.

The per app opt-in permissions been introduced in Android 6. You can prevent Facebook from having access to your contacts on phone or tablet. By default all permissions are off, you have to click "allow" for each permission seperately. In Android 7 the DVM got replaced by ART (in later versions of Android 6 ART was introduced as option in developer options). ART brings better performance (and by extension longer battery life) over Dalvik (DVM) by pre-compiling the java code (all apps in Android are written in Java) instead of just in time (aka JIT) as with Dalvik. Small downside, first boot will be slower as everything has to be pre-compiled.

That is about it in a nutshell, the rest is window dressing, IMO.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:04 PM   #54
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
The other day I noticed the New Fire 8 has been Released...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #55
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
After my Sony tablet with 1 GB of RAM running Jelly Bean, I've considered 2 GB to be my lower limit for RAM in a tablet. This only has 1.5 GB. Maybe that's ok, but if so, it seems like it'd be just marginally ok.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote