Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-05-2019, 06:54 PM   #496
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Anyone know how to customise keyboard shortcuts in firefox quantum. Back in the days of XUL I had an extension - something like Customise Keyboard

In particular I want to disable Ctrl+B and Ctrl+I, both of which toggle the bookmarks sidebar Ψ³

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #497
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Azpen A746, Entourage Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Anyone know how to customise keyboard shortcuts in firefox quantum. Back in the days of XUL I had an extension - something like Customise Keyboard

In particular I want to disable Ctrl+B and Ctrl+I, both of which toggle the bookmarks sidebar Ψ³
I not sure that's possible on Firefox Quantum. XUL is deprecated and going away. WebExtensions support is up in the air. There's an outstanding bug in Bugzilla that claims Resolved Fixed in Firefox 66, but it's not clear this covers what you want. There is a recommendation there to install Saka Key, which appears to work here in Firefox 55, and there is an extension called Shortkeys . which also seems to work.

Saka tries to provide Vim style key mapping. Shortkeys uses more standard maps. But both seem to only work in tabs where you are viewing sites. Firefox doesn't seem to permit global key mapping affecting the entire browser, so it may not be possible to simply disable ^B/^I.

There are instructions elsewhere for opening and editing the omni.ja file where this stuff is defined as another method short of recompiling FF from source, but I haven't really looked at it.

Why do you want to disable ^B/^I? What wuld you use instead to perform the function?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #498
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Why do you want to disable ^B/^I? What wuld you use instead to perform the function?
Some sites allow use of Ctrl+B and Ctrl+I to do what they normally do - embolden and italicise typed text.

I have the side bar open more or less permanently, so on the rare occasion I wanted it closed I would left click the close button, or I might use something like Ctrl+Alt+B. My standard preferred pattern for toggling is Ctrl+Alt+whatever.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-05-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #499
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Some sites allow use of Ctrl+B and Ctrl+I to do what they normally do - embolden and italicise typed text.

I have the side bar open more or less permanently, so on the rare occasion I wanted it closed I would left click the close button, or I might use something like Ctrl+Alt+B. My standard preferred pattern for toggling is Ctrl+Alt+whatever.
Okay, that's about what I thought.

I use ^B to toggle the sidebar, and don't normally have bookmarks open in it. I use an extension called Group Speed Dial which replaces the default home page and lets me group sites I frequently visit in tabs for fast access. I don't normally need to access the bookmarks.

Yes, not having Control-key combos passed to sites that can use them is a pain, but it's mainly an annoyance here, and sites I visit have other ways to do that on selected text. (And I generally know the codes to embed in the text to do bold/italic/etc so I can insert them.)

I also use an extension called withExEditor. I used to use an extension called "It's All Text" that would grab text in a text box and copy it into my preferred editor ( Notepad3) for editing. Save the text in the editor and it got inserted into the text box. That broke in FF Quantum. withEditorEx provides a work around. It calls node.js to retrieve text into my preferred editor, then uses node.js to paste the edited text into the text box on the site. It's a bit of a chore to configure, starting with having to install node.js, but works once you have. The fundamental issue is that FF no longer lets you do that sort of thing locally. It has to be passed to an external server that can then upload it to the site. (I'm using it now to crete this reply.)

I'm mostly pleased with Quantum, now that I found WebEx extensions to replace core functionality of stuff I used to run, but the paranoia about security gets bothersome. I'm all in favor of security, but I'd be happier if the Mozilla devs could point to actual exploits of the capabilities they disallow instead of "This could be used for bad intent, therefore we won't let it be used."

But we are increasingly stuck with it. Current browser development is all going in that direction, and Chrome has just as many annoyances.

Now Mirosoft is ceasing development of Edge and shifting to the Blink rendering engine used by Google. Opera had already ceased development of the Pango engine they used and switched to Blink. MS is suggesting Mozilla drop Gecko and also switch to Blink.

I am not thrilled by the notion of "One rendering engine to rule them all", as we are all then stuck with whatever that engine is allowed to do, and that's being steadily cut back in the interests of security.

I'm sticking with FF as the best extant option.
______
Dennis
Old 02-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #500
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Okay, that's about what I thought.

I use ^B to toggle the sidebar, and don't normally have bookmarks open in it. I use an extension called Group Speed Dial which replaces the default home page and lets me group sites I frequently visit in tabs for fast access. I don't normally need to access the bookmarks.

Yes, not having Control-key combos passed to sites that can use them is a pain, but it's mainly an annoyance here, and sites I visit have other ways to do that on selected text. (And I generally know the codes to embed in the text to do bold/italic/etc so I can insert them.)

I also use an extension called withExEditor. I used to use an extension called "It's All Text" that would grab text in a text box and copy it into my preferred editor ( Notepad3) for editing. Save the text in the editor and it got inserted into the text box. That broke in FF Quantum. withEditorEx provides a work around. It calls node.js to retrieve text into my preferred editor, then uses node.js to paste the edited text into the text box on the site. It's a bit of a chore to configure, starting with having to install node.js, but works once you have. The fundamental issue is that FF no longer lets you do that sort of thing locally. It has to be passed to an external server that can then upload it to the site. (I'm using it now to crete this reply.)

I'm mostly pleased with Quantum, now that I found WebEx extensions to replace core functionality of stuff I used to run, but the paranoia about security gets bothersome. I'm all in favor of security, but I'd be happier if the Mozilla devs could point to actual exploits of the capabilities they disallow instead of "This could be used for bad intent, therefore we won't let it be used."

But we are increasingly stuck with it. Current browser development is all going in that direction, and Chrome has just as many annoyances.

Now Mirosoft is ceasing development of Edge and shifting to the Blink rendering engine used by Google. Opera had already ceased development of the Pango engine they used and switched to Blink. MS is suggesting Mozilla drop Gecko and also switch to Blink.

I am not thrilled by the notion of "One rendering engine to rule them all", as we are all then stuck with whatever that engine is allowed to do, and that's being steadily cut back in the interests of security.

I'm sticking with FF as the best extant option.
______
Dennis
As I posted yesterday in the calibre plugin ideas thread, "Sometimes I wonder if we're regressing to Mosaic."

Since the latest update (v 65) to Firefox Quaintarse, this site is one of those where I can no longer use Ctrl+B and Ctrl/I for their time honoured purpose.

Added: I pin my frequently visited sites and use Ctrl+PgDown to get to them, IIRC the speed dial thing is too mouse centric.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-06-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Advert
Old 02-06-2019, 05:35 PM   #501
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
As I posted yesterday in the calibre plugin ideas thread, "Sometimes I wonder if we're regressing to Mosaic."
You can make a case for it...

But as mentioned previously, we are increasingly stuck with the limitations you complain about, because everybody has them.

Quote:
Since the latest update (v 65) to Firefox Quaintarse, this site is one of those where I can no longer use Ctrl+B and Ctrl/I.
<blink> I hadn't noticed, but then, I have the appropriate BB codes fairly well memorized, and insert them directly.

Quote:
Added: I pin my frequently visited sites and use Ctrl+PgDown to get to them, IIRC the speed dial thing is too mouse centric.
I use both keyboard and mouse, so things like Group Speed Dial work well for me.

I retain enough keyboard chops to operate from a command line and the like, but I do like GUIs.
______
Dennis
Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 PM   #502
BetterRed
null operator

ITC seems to be heading towards a Stalinist Nanny state of affairs. Imagine if every motor car had the same drive train, but there were Toyota only, Volvo only, and Chevrolet only, etc roads; as well as Nissan only, and BMW only, etc fuel pumps and chargers.

BR
Old 02-07-2019, 10:51 PM   #503
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
ITC seems to be heading towards a Stalinist Nanny state of affairs. Imagine if every motor car had the same drive train, but there were Toyota only, Volvo only, and Chevrolet only, etc roads; as well as Nissan only, and BMW only, etc fuel pumps and chargers.
Interesting analogy, though I suspect it would work out a bit differently, especially in the notion of different roads.

A good chunk of what we're seeing comes down to basic economics. A new market opens, and a bunch of players enter it. Competition occurs. Some folks succeed and grow bigger. Some folks fail, or get acquired by a larger company. Eventually, you get two or three big outfits, and some smaller players serving niches too small to be profitable for the big boys.

The browser market has been an example. I've looked at a large number of the years. Very few still exist.

One of the reasons is the continual advance in web standards. Consider the current state, where HTML5, CSS3, and a current version of JavaScript are essentially required. HTML5 is still a work in progress.

Rendering engines are increasingly large and complex and take a lot of time and effort to develop and maintain. Google and Mozilla have large teams of developers working on Blink and Gecko. Following Mozilla bugs in Bugzilla is fun, because it must be triaged and confirmed to be a bug, then a determination of just where the bug is must be made (because the underlying problem may not be in the code where it blew up), and then the developers must be found who know enough about that section of the code to make the fix.

The sheer effort and cost involved in supporting and extending rendering engines leaves few outfits available that can. Opera gave up on their Pango engine and moved to Webkit, and when Google forked Webkit to become Blink, Opera followed. IE abandoned the Trident engine used by IE and developed a new one called Spartan that was used by Edge. Now they are abandoning Spartan and moving to Blink. Webkit is still around, supported by Apple in Safari and used in things like the Falkon browser, but what else is there? Very little.

Another factor is increasing coordination in what is supported. There was already alignment between Chrome, Edge, and Firefox in terms of APIs and what JavaScript was permitted to do, to the point where it was possible to write extensions that could be installed into Chrome, Edge, or Firefox with minor code changes. The demise of Edge doesn't change that.

I'm unhappy because the changes mean less configurability and less power, and various things I used to do can't be done now, but I'm stuck with it. My biggest objection is that I think there are things that could be done if the user was willing to accept some risk and knew what they were doing, and a power user setting where sophisticated users could say "I understand the risks, and upon my head be it. Do this!" would be nice. We'll see if that happens.
______
Dennis
Old 02-17-2019, 10:24 PM   #504
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
They've made XP pretty much inoperable for internet this past year. It's time to install a different operating system on my netbook. I really have no choice.

So I'm looking at Linux Mint. What do you think? I want internet, ability to run a few office like Libre Office programs and some old windows programs like yWriter.

Its a Toshiba NB200 with RAM upgraded to 2GB.

Pros?
Cons?

This is a huge leap for me.

Will I need drivers for sound, keyboard like Windows does or how does that work? I am a total newbie to Linux.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Blossom; 02-17-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM   #505
cc_in_oh
Addict
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I ran across this article a few weeks ago:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-...linux-desktop/

It has a link to another article to make a bootable disk or flash drive if you want to test drive it before installing...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM   #506
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ubuntu LTS, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
They've made XP pretty much inoperable for internet this past year. It's time to install a different operating system on my netbook. I really have no choice.

So I'm looking at Linux Mint. What do you think? I want internet, ability to run a few office like Libre Office programs and some old windows programs like yWriter.

Pros?
Cons?

Will I need drivers for sound, keyboard like Windows does or how does that work? I am a total newbie to Linux.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Linux Mint is great for converting windows users.

You will not need any extra drivers provided that your hardware is not brand new. The HWE-stack (HardWare Enablement) that is part of any modern version of Linux can handle all common hardware. There is some hardware that is very tied to Windows. Cheap printers and scanners. Or some special gizmos and controllers on some special newer netbooks/laptops. But then it may still be possible to get things working fully by searching the internet for reports, from other owners of the same hardware, on how they got things working.

You can test before you take the plunge by booting Linux Mint from a USB thumbdrive and test it with your hardware.

No need for any antivirus either.

However with "only" 2GB RAM it may be better to try a Linux version that is made for older computers with limited memory. Linux Mint may work, but might feel sluggish. Other version of Linux will not only work but feel positively snappy and have great performance. Here are some alternatives: (I haven't really tested any of them.)

https://itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/

I run Ubuntu Linux on a 13" HP laptop, and everything is fine. 8GB RAM. I had to repartition the SSD to remove the earlier OS (Win10) and some hidden partitions.

I have helped several friends to install Linux as well. And I usually recommend Linux Mint for new Linux Users. It is also possible to have for instance Ubunty Linux switch between the normal Gnome Shell interface, KDE or Mint, as you want, when you login. It is Ubuntu underneath but with different user interfaces.

Last edited by Adoby; Yesterday at 08:37 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM   #507
DMcCunney
New York Editor

s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

Pros?
Cons?

The biggest con I can see is "low end machine". I'd want a lot more than 2GB RAM.

Also be aware that Linux is different. You will need to learn a new OS with new GUI, and new programs to do what you normally do. That learning curve is the biggest roadblock to Linux adoption on the desktop. Most folks learn just enough about the PC to do what they need to do and stop. Even new versions of existing stuff can get resistance because they will be different.

I did something like this a while back on an old Acer netbook. It had a 1.6 ghz Atom processor, 1.5GB RAM, and a 40GB HD. It used onboard ATI graphics. It came to me with WinXP Home.

I repartitioned the disk to create a slice for Linux and installed Ubuntu, on which Mint is based. I chose Lxde as the lightest weight GUI. The end result was a machine which dual-booted and I could choose Linux or XP at boot time.

I like Ubuntu because it does the best job I've seen in a Linux distro of figuring out what it's installing on, setting itself up, and Just Working. Connecting to the Internet tends to be a problem with other distros, but Ubuntu handles it fine. Once installed, it should be able to connect to the Internet.

Linux has generic drivers for most peripherals, so you shouldn't have a problem. The folks with driver woes tend to have high end graphics cards from nVidia and AMD-ATI that are not well supported by the open source drivers.

You can install a browser and things like Libre Office and have what you mostly need.

Running Windows programs requires installing Wine. I don't know offhand if yWriter runs under it, but it should.

Just don't expect snappy performance. Linux really likes RAM, and tries to run entirely in RAM if it has it. With 2GB, it won't. Linux on the old netbook here works but is slow. (I could theoretically take RAM to 2GB from the 1.5GB it has, but I don't believe the performance boost would justify the cost.)

One thing I do plan to do is replace the HD with an SSD. Those are getting cheap. I found a budget line 120GB SSD for $30. SSD technology has been steadily improving, so the fact that it's a budget line drive doesn't scare me. I don't expect failures.

Since a major factor in slow speed is disk I/O, going to SSD should be a nice performance boost. There isn't a lot on the netbook I need to preserve, so I'll likely just back up some files to a USB frive, then pull the HD and swap in the SSD and do a fresh install of Linux. I spend most time on the Linux side now. Not having XP in the mix won't be a loss.
______
Dennis