Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #1561
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
I wanted to ask if, "HSD" warning notwithstanding, there is any real risk to selecting the "attempt to support newer firmware" option in the extended driver?
According to davidfor in this post there is no problem for firmware 4.12.12111. See last paragraph.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #1562
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
According to davidfor in this post there is no problem for firmware 4.12.12111. See last paragraph.
Yes, David posted that shortly after I asked here. I should have remembered our Tasman neighbours are a bit behind the times, compared to us
Old 12-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #1563
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
I upgraded my H@O2's firmware half an hour ago, and when I plugged it in and opened calibre, I got this amazing error notification:
"calibre, version 3.35.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 149.
Device firmware version: (4, 12, 12111)"

I say amazing because it was clear and helpful and explanatory, thanks! I wanted to ask if, "HSD" warning notwithstanding, there is any real risk to selecting the "attempt to support newer firmware" option in the extended driver?
In most cases there is no real risk, and in this case definitely no risk. I am in Kobo's beta firmware group and have tested the versions leading up to this. There are no changes affecting how calibre interacts with the devices. The update to bump the supported firmware version will be in the next calibre release. Along with a fix for a bug I introduced in the last one (if you didn't notice it, don't worry).

If you are worried, just wait for my post in the firmware thread. I will post my knowledge of the firmware including a statement about calibre as soon as I can. Sometimes I get in before someone has noticed, but generally not as Kobo does the release while I'm asleep,

And for the record, the above message comes from the KoboTouch driver, not from this plugin. This is not strictly the right place for the post, but I understand why people post here about this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #1564
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I

And for the record, the above message comes from the KoboTouch driver, not from this plugin. This is not strictly the right place for the post, but I understand why people post here about this.
I realised this myself as I neared the end of my post, which is my mentioned the driver in my final paragraph - I was too lazy to abort and repost in the correct thread, sorry.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #1565
coalescent
coalescent began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
I am new to using Calibre with kobo readers, having only recently switched away from kindle to a kobo forma.

Which driver should I be using with the forma and KoboUtilities? Kobo Touch or KoboTouchExtended?

Thank you!
coalescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #1566
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalescent View Post
I am new to using Calibre with kobo readers, having only recently switched away from kindle to a kobo forma.

Which driver should I be using with the forma and KoboUtilities? Kobo Touch or KoboTouchExtended?
You can use either, but the normal rule-of-thumb is to use KoboTouchExtended if you might want to format-shift your epubs to kepubs on-the-fly during calibre's send-to-device process. Otherwise KoboTouch should suffice.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #1567
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalescent View Post

As @jackie_w, you can use either. The choice is really about whether you want to use the function that the extended driver supplies. The Kobo Utilities plugin was written to work with either. I can't think of anything that works with one that doesn't work with the other.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:39 PM   #1568
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD
Hi David!

Do the Kobo Utilities work with Clara HD, pls?

(I don't have Clara yet, so cannot test myself. Before buying it I am looking for a way to export my highlights/annotations from sideloaded books from Clara to PC)

Many thanks in advance for your kind help!

best,

pavel
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #1569
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The utilities work with ALL of the Kobo eink based readers.

In essence all of the current Kobo devices (ie all except the original Kobo and Kobo wifi) run the same firmware. When new devices are released normally the only required change to calibre is to add the new usb I'd to its internal code.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:55 PM   #1570
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I had completely forgotten that I had listed devices in the first post. And, more importantly, not updated it for a while. That explains a few questions over the years.

I have removed the list and added a "Supported device" section with the statement:

Quote:
All Kobo e-ink ereaders are supported if calibre supports them. Some functions are not supported on the original Kobo eReader or the WiFi.
I think that explains it. But, if anyone has suggestions for improvement, I'm happy to hear them.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #1571
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD
Thank you both for your kind replies!

pavel
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:08 AM   #1572
cd2013
Connoisseur
cd2013 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
I don't (yet) have a Kobo so I can't test this myself.
My questions are for sideloaded books, not books bought on the Kobo store.

Does the plugin import highlights and annotations from a Kobo eink reader to Calibre? Is there anything it does better or differently than the Annotations plugin, or are the two comparable?

How about exporting annotations and highlights from Calibre to a Kobo - is this possible?

Finally, how about Vocabulary Builder (the list of words you looked up on a dictionary) - can that be synced, too?

Thanks a lot!
cd2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #1573
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2013 View Post
I don't (yet) have a Kobo so I can't test this myself.
My questions are for sideloaded books, not books bought on the Kobo store.

Does the plugin import highlights and annotations from a Kobo eink reader to Calibre? Is there anything it does better or differently than the Annotations plugin, or are the two comparable?
The plugin does not import annotations from the Kobo devices to calibre. It extracts them and displays them in a dialog. The function is comparable with the Annotations plugin. In fact, the Kobo support in the Annotations plugin was originally based on the code in this plugin.
Quote:
How about exporting annotations and highlights from Calibre to a Kobo - is this possible?
No. I haven't had any real interest in extracting the annotations in such a way as they could be restored. I might revisit this when the calibre viewer gets better annotation support.
Quote:
Finally, how about Vocabulary Builder (the list of words you looked up on a dictionary) - can that be synced, too?
Theoretically yes. They are stored in a database table or two. Extracting and restoring them shouldn't be to hard. But, sorry, it isn't something I am interested in doing.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:49 PM   #1574
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
David
Does the PI have some way of pulling the 'Finished" status from my aura2 and setting the designated column (in my case, it is a date)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:27 PM   #1575
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
David
Does the PI have some way of pulling the 'Finished" status from my aura2 and setting the designated column (in my case, it is a date)?
You want the "Store/Restore current bookmark" function. It can get the last read timestamp, the percent read and the location. And later restore them if you want. The store can be automated so that it happens on each connection. You need to configure the columns to store the data in. There is help describing what you need to do.

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities