Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-26-2019, 12:02 AM   #16
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
When one system replaces another, it doesn't mean that the old way was all bad, just that the new is better.
I like the new systems (Amazon, the internet, etc.) Most people feel the same way. That is why "out with the old, in with the new!"
So it's better for me to receive a big honking hdtv in the mail, Find out it's a piece of crap. Repackage it and haul the big honking tv back to the post office and wait for a refund or replacement...???? How is that better??? I have a Best buy two miles from my house. I can buy and.replace a tv within an hour if need be and I don't even have to put it back in the box ...lol....I'm really trying to understand the big incentive of buying the bulk of ones goods online. I guess if you lived out where there were not many stores. But people imo are being duped into believing that somehow sitting at home waiting for packages to arrive is somehow better. It really isn't overall. I said this in another thread....even Amazon sees the need for physical stores....hence the fact that they bought Whole foods......they found that people ordering fresh food online really doesn't work all that well ..
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:18 AM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
This is totally off topic ,BTW.
You forgot dull and long-winded.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2019, 05:19 AM   #18
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
I first got into Linux in 1997 when it was still exclusively for Geeks
And I imagine many people here (including me), we using it earlier than that, so what?
Expecting people to be impressed by this sort of willy waving is just making you look silly.

Last edited by murraypaul; 07-26-2019 at 05:22 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:22 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True hackers don't brag.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
True hackers don't brag.
True hackers don't admit they are true hackers in public forums. They brag, but in private forums.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
So it's better for me to receive a big honking hdtv in the mail, Find out it's a piece of crap. Repackage it and haul the big honking tv back to the post office and wait for a refund or replacement...???? How is that better??? I have a Best buy two miles from my house. I can buy and.replace a tv within an hour if need be and I don't even have to put it back in the box ...lol....I'm really trying to understand the big incentive of buying the bulk of ones goods online. I guess if you lived out where there were not many stores. But people imo are being duped into believing that somehow sitting at home waiting for packages to arrive is somehow better. It really isn't overall. I said this in another thread....even Amazon sees the need for physical stores....hence the fact that they bought Whole foods......they found that people ordering fresh food online really doesn't work all that well ..

I live in a big city. I order a lot of things from Amazon and I buy other things from a physical store, if just depends on the product and how much of a hurry I'm in. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Amazon has done some interesting things with Whole Food. If you live within a certain distance of a Whole Food, you can order on line and have it delivered. You get a different selection that Amazon's normal online food delivery. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I doubt that Amazon will put physical grocery stores out of business any time soon.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

As someone who has gone from only independent book stores near by to book stores in the malls to Barnes and Noble to Amazon, I've seen the progress. Barnes and Noble put the mall bookstores out of business because they offered a much bigger selection and a much better shopping experience.

Like a lot of companies that think they have it made, Barnes and Noble rested on their laurels and failed to innovate. There is no reason they couldn't have successfully competed with Amazon with regards to online book orders and ebooks. They simply blew it. They could have continued to compete by filling the social niche that many book buyers like, but instead they went in a different direction.

B&N never put indies out of business, at least not the indies around here, especially those that specialize. I continued going to the Science Fiction and Mystery book store for years after B&N and Borders opened up. What put that particular bookstore out of business is the rent got too high where he was and he moved out to the suburbs where most of his clientele wouldn't follow. This is a problem that a lot of small businesses have.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #23
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
True hackers don't admit they are true hackers in public forums. They brag, but in private forums.
Not so. At one time I perused a public hacker forum where they boasted a lot. Horrible bunch.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:45 AM   #24
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An American friend of mine was telling me about how a lot of malls have been decimated over the last few years. He says a lot of them contain many empty spaces now. Is that true of your experience?
Old 07-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Not so. At one time I perused a public hacker forum where they boasted a lot. Horrible bunch.
Then they were pretenders.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #26
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I continued going to the Science Fiction and Mystery book store for years after B&N and Borders opened up. What put that particular bookstore out of business is the rent got too high where he was and he moved out to the suburbs where most of his clientele wouldn't follow. This is a problem that a lot of small businesses have.
That's unfortunate. I do wonder if smaller private businesses should receive more lenient terms or subsidies in order to allow them to stay in business. When they go, the community and environment loses something IMO.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #27
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Then they were pretenders.
No they were not. They included the author of hacks.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
An American friend of mine was telling me about how a lot of malls have been decimated over the last few years. He says a lot of them contain many empty spaces now. Is that true of your experience?
I haven't been to a proper mall in probably a decade or more. There were lots of empty spaces then.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No they were not. They included the author of hacks.
THE author of hacks!? OMG, did you get an autograph?
Old 07-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #30
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Is it a full moon?

Physical retails enemy is the Internet generally. Breaking up Amazon would not restore their fortunes.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, anti-trust, competition, monopoly