Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
flideravi
flideravi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch Basic, KT2 - 90DD, firmware - 5.6.5(2730300038))
How to Access the shell on my jailbroken device

So my device is now jail-broken now (many thanks to Branch Delay)
Now,
How do I access the shell on my device? OR how do I SSH to it?
flideravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Use either kTerm, telnet, or ssh.

Try the searching hints in:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2016, 02:56 AM   #3
flideravi
flideravi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch Basic, KT2 - 90DD, firmware - 5.6.5(2730300038))
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Use either kTerm, telnet, or ssh.

Try the searching hints in:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083
@knc1, I could not find anything relevant in the thread... what am i missing?
flideravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:06 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flideravi View Post
@knc1, I could not find anything relevant in the thread... what am i missing?
It isn't in this thread.

Set the index prefix to 'Tutorial' and look through that shorter list of threads (you will find ones on ssh that way and also the FGA list - which will give you more hints about finding things here).
Old 02-06-2016, 03:13 AM   #5
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
Coulndt find much either.

kTerm you can google and there is an updated package for 5.6.5
-

But usually to use ssh or telnet you needed USBNetwork ( https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind..._networking_UN ) and @NiLuJe hasnt updated the thread where USBNetwork is provided with information on 5.6.5 - so the most current version of it might work, but then it might not -- so right now I would wait for confirmation of some kind.

Also - some kind of "rescue package" would be nice for first time JB devices on 5.6.5, when you start giving people shell access..

But its early days..

TLDR; Tutorials on enabling USBNetwork and a "rescue package" (if possible) might be needed for new users.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2016, 03:17 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by notimp View Post
Coulndt find much either.

kTerm you can google and there is an updated package for 5.6.5
-

But usually to use ssh or telnet you needed USBNetwork ( https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind..._networking_UN ) and @NiLuJe hasnt updated the thread where USBNetwork is provided with information on 5.6.5 - so the most current version of it might work, but then it might not -- so right now I would wait for confirmation of some kind.

Also - some kind of "rescue package" would be nice for first time JB devices on 5.6.5, when you start giving people shell access..

But its early days..

TLDR; Tutorials on enabling USBNetwork and a "rescue package" (if possible) might be needed for new users.
You can find all in his 'snapshots thread' - yes, they will all work.

Directions haven't change for any 5.x.y series firmware, the only thing about the packages that need updating is for new hardware models not new firmware models.

set the forum index filter to: tools, click show threads, there find NiLuJe's snapshot threads.

set the forum index filter to: tutorial, click show threads, there find many threads on installing/using USBnetwork (ssh and telnet clients).

Last edited by knc1; 02-06-2016 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:26 AM   #7
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Already read through all the corresponding threads yesterday. Thank you for the confirmation that the packages work on all 5.x.y devices.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:30 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Already read through all the corresponding threads yesterday. Thank you for the confirmation that the packages work on all 5.x.y devices.
Not what I said.

On all firmware versions of the current series 5 devices.
No changes required (yet) due to firmware version, only due to model number.

They may or may not work on future new models - all of our update_*.bin packages are 'model locked'.
So they have to be rebuilt when a new model number is introduced.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:37 AM   #9
notimp
Addict

Got it. (Lurkers too, hopefully. )

It's a bit scary to go straight into the installation of a rescue package that doesnt even say that it is compatible with a PW3 for example - because ixtab hasnt updated the thread recently.

Just providing some feedback on the "maybe I'll just wait" triggers I came by yesterday. There are some basics after the JB that havent been layed out in the most elegant manner currently - so people finding them for themselves, and jumping the initial "well it doesnt say my device/firmware revision is compatible yet" doubt isnt a given.

Last edited by notimp; 02-06-2016 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:43 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
It's a bit scary to go straight into the installation of a rescue package f.e. that doesnt even say that it is compatible with a PW3 for example - because ixtab hasnt updated the thread recently.
- - - -
You must be speed-reading again - - don't use the packages in the original thread (ixtab has been gone a long time).

New devices - newest devices, use newest packages found in NiLuJe's snapshots thread.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:50 AM   #11
notimp
Addict

See - NiLuJe's snapshot thread still links to ixtabs original rescue pack posting from back in the day, for any contextualizing on the rescue package.

The only thing that screams "current" is a /PW3 in a headline (no 5.6.5 - but as we now know there is the current 5.x.y rule.. ) covering about half a dozen packages, one of which is the rescue package - stuff like that.

But again, thanks for the clarification.

(edit: Successfully installed USBNetwork Hack, Rescue Pack and Coward's Rescue Pack on a PW3 with FW 5.6.5 - as knc1 stated, use the .bin files from NiLuJe's snapshots thread and of course KUAL and MR Packages to install them - if you are on 5.6.5

edit2: And if you ever get stuck when trying to exit the diags menu, read this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...28&postcount=5 )

Last edited by notimp; 02-06-2016 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Yup. Common problem with Internet sites - things posted age.

That is one of the reasons for the Master Index built on Wiki pages -
so that anyone, such as yourself, who finds something that needs a re-direction (like you did) can update the index.

**Anyone** can update the Master Index - you don't have to be logged in or even a member - lurkers can update the Master Index also.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, in the snapshots thread, trust the doc bundled *inside* the package, it's always bound to be more up to date than its parent thread .

I'm waiting for the last few KV (3 of them) & PW3 (1) variants to crop up before pushing new releases (barring that, in a couple of weeks).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #14
notimp
Addict

You mean the one from 2013?

Take your time - but if there is a somewhat noticable influx of interest around the new jailbreak release - maybe do an updated writeup at some point.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@notimp: I was thinking specifically of the USBNet doc, but, yeah, good point, RP/CRP might need some love on that front.

EDIT: Done .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-06-2016 at 10:33 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kt2, shell